Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How come I see no Aguilar rigs at concerts and tv?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DraVenSF, May 24, 2005.

1. I hear Aguilar is pretty good but I never see any bands use a rig of theirs, it is always SWR or Ampeg. Any specific reason? Aguilar mainly studio use or something?

just wondering, because i want to get me an Aguilar rig maybe there is something I don't know.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What do you listen to? I have seen a few bassists who use Aguilar, but it is not a common backline rig, which is the reason you won't find them at bigger stages or stadiums.

3. What is a backline rig? No idea, fill me in...thanks man

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Er... I meant house rig. Basically the equipment they have at the gig so the musicians don't have to bring their own. I'm looking at getting an Aggie 412 soon to pair with my Mesa 400+ by the way...

5. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    It just depends on who/what you watch I guess...

When I first heard of Aguilar, I thought nobody else really played them. Then I looked at all of the people that use them on their website. Needless to say, I was blown away.

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Taking back sunday use aguilar.

Jamiroquai use aguilar.

I'm sure if you checked out the endorsed artists at the aguilar website, then you'd find alot more.

7. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Tons of people use Aguilar stuff...

Taking Back Sunday, Hoobastank, Jane's Addiction, Mike Merrit (Conan O'Brian), John Patitucci, the backing bass players for: Kelly Clarkson, Rob Thomas, Sting, Bruce Springsteen, Jason Newstead uses some Aguilar stuff.

It's crazy.

8. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    its because every backline hire company always have Ampeg 810's.. industry standard for backline hire.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've actually seen quite a few Aguilar rigs on TV, and I really don't watch all that much...

10. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I've seen a few aguilar rigs on Leno/Conan from time to time. I would imagine because it's probably considered more of a "boutique" type brand.

It's the same reason that you'll see a ton of Fenders and Musicmans and Rics on TV and fewer of the other types. I know I saw a Ken Smith on one of the shows once was pretty cool.

11. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I forget who it was but I saw a rapper performing on tv and the bassist he was using had a DB 359/GS 410 rig. I don't like rap at all but I watched (and listened) because of the bassist :D.

12. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Give it time.... it's still "new" in comparision to the long time standard ampeg and swr. Also there are a limited amount of dealers. You won't see an Aguilar at every store you stop at. Not a backline standard yet!

13. Dell

Dell

Apr 7, 2005
    Over here (UK) the Label normaly expects the band to buy the gear with their advance. And there is only one shop I know of that stocks aguilar stuff, and I don't think any of the bassists I know know of the company, so they probably wouldnt even try one out without being promoted.

If Aguilar want a bassist to endorse in the UK... Spread the word and all.... hehehe :)

14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Mostly because TV has a boycott against aguilar gear as a part of a much larger plot to control our minds and actions. :ninja:

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    really? thought Fiffe was an ashdown guy. unless he finally left the band. :meh:

Mike Merrit (Weinberg 7) is an aguilar endorser.

as to the original poster, we've covered this before ad nauseum, and the search is your friend.

16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I was once told that the reason you see so many Fenders on TV is because backing musicians and bands on tour usually take them because they are quality instruments and are (relativley) cheap. Stuff gets stolen on the road and better your $1200 Fender or Ric get stolen than your prized $4000 Ritter.

Anyways, that's just what I was told.

Edit: And related to this post: I have an instructional video by Beaver Felton in which he talks about one of his Carvin cabinets getting stolen. I just thought that it was funny that he threw that in there.

17. That's not funny. Did it every occur to you that most TV stations have 100,000+ watt tube amps (we have two- one 360kw ERP and the other 840kw ERP) for their transmitters? They want all the good stuff for themselves. Don't listen to TV; just watch it and buy the products it advertises.

18. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Wow, i want to plug my bass into THAT amp!! :hyper: :D

19. Each of the two transmitter tubes weighs 40 lbs for JUST the tube, so all you weight whiners need not apply. ;) ...now if you can just haul a few thousand KV power supply and cooling system around, you're set.

20. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    MiG fighters use tubes for radar. Now thats what I want to plug into :bassist: