Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how come my software metronome skips?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, Jan 30, 2003.

1. I've used several now, and after a minute or so, all will "hiccup". What's wrong with my system?

I'd like to get some drum loop software, but if I can't keep a metronome in good time.....?

I have a Pentium 2, 128mg RAM, I dunno anything else of the specs.....

Thanks,

Mark

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What Windows version are you using?

Is there a virus scanner running in the backgroúnd? If so, disable it and any background program you don't need, expecially the MS Office indexer.

For XP there's a reghack to increase System clock IRQ priority (IRQ 8) which gives a boost in timing stability.

I'll post more later, gotta run, sorry!

3. thanks, JMX. I'm running 98, and will try shutting off everything in the background.

Question, what apps do I NOT want to shut off (Explorer I know!).

Thanks,

Mark

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Always...I mean never shut of explorer and systray.

I'm a bit rusty on 98.

5. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    what software metronome are you using ?

- there are some small ( can download to a floppy disk and uncomplicated) freeware metronomes available . . . let me know if anyone wants more info.

6. I'm not at that machine right now, but it was software I downloaded from download.com

is there one that you recommend?

7. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    multi-tasking . . . yeah, a computer word -- is it leading to pauses/hiccupps?

another question I thought of . . . does the metronome stay clicking with the screen saver on ?... or even does a screen saver start when the metronome is on "play" or "count"

I downloaded another couple of them just to see (working on a recommendation ?) and running them simultaneously all set at 92 bpm - two can be changed by 1 bpm, other in increments of about 3 bpm -- they do vary in keeping the count.

it is cool, throwin' in a bass drum, snare, closed high hat, rimshot, conga, etc. for accented beats, rather than just the metronome clicking -
    - no doubt about that.
    but right now, I am only starting to get ideas about their different accuracy -
    - - maybe with other stuff running (multi-tasking) or when the computer is doing some of its own thing . . . then some of the metronomes get more pauses ?