how come my software metronome skips?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, Jan 30, 2003.

1. I've used several now, and after a minute or so, all will "hiccup". What's wrong with my system?

I'd like to get some drum loop software, but if I can't keep a metronome in good time.....?

I have a Pentium 2, 128mg RAM, I dunno anything else of the specs.....

Thanks,

Mark

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What Windows version are you using?

Is there a virus scanner running in the backgroúnd? If so, disable it and any background program you don't need, expecially the MS Office indexer.

For XP there's a reghack to increase System clock IRQ priority (IRQ 8) which gives a boost in timing stability.

I'll post more later, gotta run, sorry!

3. thanks, JMX. I'm running 98, and will try shutting off everything in the background.

Question, what apps do I NOT want to shut off (Explorer I know!).

Thanks,

Mark

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Always...I mean never shut of explorer and systray.

I'm a bit rusty on 98.

5. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    what software metronome are you using ?

- there are some small ( can download to a floppy disk and uncomplicated) freeware metronomes available . . . let me know if anyone wants more info.

6. I'm not at that machine right now, but it was software I downloaded from download.com

is there one that you recommend?

7. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    multi-tasking . . . yeah, a computer word -- is it leading to pauses/hiccupps?

another question I thought of . . . does the metronome stay clicking with the screen saver on ?... or even does a screen saver start when the metronome is on "play" or "count"

I downloaded another couple of them just to see (working on a recommendation ?) and running them simultaneously all set at 92 bpm - two can be changed by 1 bpm, other in increments of about 3 bpm -- they do vary in keeping the count.

it is cool, throwin' in a bass drum, snare, closed high hat, rimshot, conga, etc. for accented beats, rather than just the metronome clicking -
    - no doubt about that.
    but right now, I am only starting to get ideas about their different accuracy -
    - - maybe with other stuff running (multi-tasking) or when the computer is doing some of its own thing . . . then some of the metronomes get more pauses ?