Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How come my string popped?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JohnBarr, Sep 27, 2004.

1. JohnBarr

JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    I got a new set of TI Acousticores for my ABG, standard 34" scale.
    I suspected problems when the E string started to wind up to the post, past the silk, and still wasn't in tune. I got it close, put the other strings on and let the guitar set for a couple hours.

When I went back to tune the guitar (I use one of those Korg tuners to hit E), I backed the string off and started tightening again. It wound all the silk leader and one lap of the metal winding around the post and Pop! and the metal winding started to unravel.

I'm still not sure why that happend or what I could have done to prevent it.

John

2. Sounds like a defective string to me...

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    +1 You don't mention what type of bass you play, but on my P I usually wind past the silk on the E string since the tuner is close to the nut. I agree with Ionote, try to get the string replaced.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Did you cut any length off of the string before you installed it on the post?

5. JohnBarr

JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    Yes, I left about 2" of silk and had a good 3 full coils before the string hit the post.

John

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hmmm....I think that could be part of the problem. By leaving only two inches of silk, you had to have cut some of the brass wrap under the silk. That could have weakened the structural integrity of the string. Not saying it's conculsive, by any means, but it wouldn't be the first time I heard of a string snapping at the tuning post because of cutting it too short.

7. JohnBarr

JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    Yeah. I worry about that. And the brass came up close to the tuning peg to begin with.

Dude will make good on it and you can bet I'll leave plenty of slack in the next one.

But aside from this, I do like these strings a lot. They have a thinner gauge than I expected. I like the way they feel and they ring bright and clear.

Comparing them to the D'Addario ribbon wounds that I just swapped out is hardly fair, it's apples and oranges. Though one of the things that struck me is how "loose" they feel, almost like I lowered the action. Those ribbons were hard to play up high, but that may have as much to do with my guitar as the strings.

But compared to the GSH phosphor bronze the TI's come off like a Rolls with a racing stripe. They have more bite, a sharper sound and the GHS were turning my fingers green, or my fingers were turning the strings green, I'm not sure which.