1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How come P-basses always sound 'farty' on Television?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Broadbent, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Broadbent

Broadbent

Mar 28, 2007
    I've always loved watching bands perform on Letterman, Conan, Jools Holland etc. But how come The P-bass always sounds farty on TV. Especially when played with a pick. They don't sound like that live! Whats the deal?

2. Hmmm I always thought they sounded just like a P Bass should
    unless played with a pick or if you are Fall Out Boy

3. I've never noticed that happening..Could it be your TV speakers?

4. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    prolly tv speakers..

5. Broadbent

Broadbent

Mar 28, 2007
    case in point

6. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    LOVE that P bass fart.

7. How come I disagree?

Time to trade in the 30-year-old Curtis Mathis TV! :p

8. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Always sounds fine to me. Nice and fat.

9. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    well, that's fall out boy. His bass always sounds like that.

10. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    As much as everyone likes to bash Wentz, that P-bass sounds frickin' great (when he isn't trying to strum it like a guitar). I don't hear any fart sounds at all; I hear a beautiful, aggressive, picked P-Bass/SVT sound. I love that sort of tone, but I don't get to use it in the music I play.

I wish he'd stop that awful strumming thing he does. :rolleyes:

11. wonderjosh

wonderjosh

Nov 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    His tone is just poorly suited for the style of music. Doesn't sit in the mix well at alllll. :scowl:

12. wellshuxley

wellshuxley

Apr 16, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    That particular example does sound like crap (to my ears). I've heard plenty of great P tones on late shows, though.

13. rez

rez

Oct 15, 2009
    I always thought that was just the mixing board guy adding a bit extra OD to make the lower notes resolve on tvs not hooked up to a stereo/surround system.

Otherwise with a full low end coming in the tv's case would be all resonant and rattling. I remember having a first generation playstation that when you would play cds on it, it would just sound awful whereas a dvd player on the same tv cut the low end just a bit which sounded thin but at liest wasn't randomly resonating the tv.

This way you can hear the bass clearly rather than having it cut or having it booming.

14. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Doesn't sound farty to me but I can't say I really like his particular tone or that strumming nonsense. Oooops at 1:21 I believe :ninja:

15. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    It's late, so I listened to all those with just my cheapy earbuds thru my PC, they all sounded like good ol' P bass goodness to me.

Prolly your TV speakers or you just don't care for the P bass tone...could happen. Then again, this here aint your TV we're listening to, so no real way for us to tell what you heard.

16. Reindeer

Reindeer I'm just a user

Jun 21, 2008

I found this whole performance rather annoying, but I want the SG the lead singer is playing.

17. JohnnyB53

JohnnyB53

Nov 1, 2009
    OK. You started the thread but you haven't answered the question: what are you using to listen to the TV sound? If you're listening through the 2-1/2" TV speaker powered by a 5-watt amp, that's where your farting is coming from. If you're listening through an entry-priced HTIB (home theater in a box) system, you're only a little better off and the power and frequency extension is not enough to capture the 42.5 Hz of the open E of a 4-string bass. I have a 1400 watt high current 7.1 channel surround system and believe me, P-basses don't sound farty on it unless the bassist is playing through a 15w 6" speaker at his end.

18. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    That sounds pretty HiFi through my Bose system here.

19. +1 That clip sounds killer for what it is.... a PBass through an SVT in full snarl.

20. well if KJUNG says's it is so ...then it is so....

eeerrrr I concur !!!

peace Capt Kirk