1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How come Peavey's Jeff Berlin "Signature" bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hoover, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    ...was named after a Weather Report tune?

2. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Maybe he likes listening to Weather Report?

3. curbowman

curbowman

Aug 25, 2007
    As Far as I know, The Peavey "Jeff Berlin" bass was officially named "Pallaedium". Jeff still has his peavey, but as soon they stopped building it, he put a black tape on the "Peavey" logo.

It's interesting to see that Dean Guitars is building the Jeff Berlin signature bass and it's a carbon copy of the Peavey.

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Well, the Dean isn't a "carbon copy". I played several of the Deans, and I was a Peavey dealer when the Palladium came out. I can live without the Dean, 'though it's a great bass, but I'd really like to have a Palladium. The PUPs are different, and the necks feel more solid and stable on the Peavy's I've played compared to the Deans. One caveat- I know Dean made two different Jeff Berlin models, and most of the ones I played were the lower priced ones.

If I recall, Jeff didn't want a typical signature with his name on the Peavey bass. He felt that "Palladium" signified high quality, like a pinnacle of something. All I know is that I took one to a gig, and it sat perfectly in the mix. Fast easy neck that still had enough girth to be comfortable. Big fat sound without being muddy or clanky. Dirt simple electronics that still offered a lot of useful variation ane easy to operate.

I shoulda bought it, but I'd just gotten some new stuff and couldn't justify the purchase at that time...

jte