1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How come Squier bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jake555, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Jake555

Jake555

Nov 2, 2010
    Toronto
    Okay so I have the P-Bass (Squier), on it, it says "Standard", but it has two pickups (single coil and split-coil P-bass pickups)... and I went on their website and the pictures show that if it has 2 pickups its called a "Special". *** (two pickups, but says standard)

Please excuse my retardation, I feel pretty dumbass asking this... :meh:

But I need 'splanationz

Got it used (it was probably used once judging by the shape whence bought, but I still got $300 off, I got a grand ol' deal :D)

2. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    someone added a single coil? did you buy used? pictures?

3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Single coil as in a '51?

Definitely sounds modded.

4. Staredge

Staredge

Aug 7, 2010
    Germantown, MD
    Yep. Precision Bass, Standard series. "Special" as it has the P/J setup. got one just like it hanging on the wall right now. Doesn't say Special anywhere on the headstock.

5. Jake555

Jake555

Nov 2, 2010
    Toronto
    Uh, single coil as in just a straight one with the silver pole things

http://guitarfixation.com/images/pic/single_coil_with_labels.jpg

Like that but without the fancy wood trim on the side, like any one thats long and black.

Like it literally looks like it's a Special with Standard written on it, unless someone took the liberty of putting in a second one that is the exact same as what Squier/Fender would have done if they had just made it a Special :S

6. bought it used but for 300$ off? 300$ off any squier makes it either free or under 50$.

Sounds like a precision special which is the model name which is part of the standard series. So it is a standard, its a standard series squier bass but rather then a precision its a precision special meaning jazz width neck and J pickup in bridge position.

7. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    The Squier "Standard" was their higher level bass. It has a P bass body and a Jazz neck.
    The P/J pickups are, IMO higher quality than the Affinity series. I have owned 3 standards and all were excellent instruments for their price range. The Vintage Modifieds and the Classic Vibes are probably a little better in fit,finish and playablity but the Standard Squier is a very good instrument.
    Rocky

8. Jake555

Jake555

Nov 2, 2010
    Toronto
    Yeah, that's it, case closed, cause it does have a Jazz neck. Thanks, and yeah, with Squier's pricing you either get medocrity or you strike gold with something that turns out great (my situation, muaha!)

And to the other guy who suggested that Squier's are only $350: Look at the website, the bass in question is $499 left-handed, actually most are in that price range for anything non-affinity series...

But anyways, thanks

9. Jake555

Jake555

Nov 2, 2010
    Toronto
    Used for $220, new for $499, I rounded. Don't just assume every Squier is **** and is also less than 350

10. MiraiHikki

MiraiHikki

Apr 4, 2010
    I don't know where you live, but here in the U.S., even the most expensive Squiers sell for street price $350. I believe MSRP is $500. No need to get defensive about it. Also, seeing as you're new, may I suggest you take a moment and explore the community?