How come the g&l L-2000 is different to the L-2500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Aug 23, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I was wondering why the L-2000 doesn't have a string-thru bodys and also why it has a four inline headstock when the L-2500 has a 3 and 2. Is there any reason why the L-2000 isn't 3+1 like stingrays are and why they don't have STB. Are there any other differences other than the fact the L-2500 is a five string :)

Thanx in advance.
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The L2000 has had in-line tuners since the beginning, I can't see a reason to change... it works:). As far as through body stringing, I guess they didn't see the need. My L2000E doesn't sound like it needs through body stringing... it's great as is.

The L2500 string spacing is narrower.
  3. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

The L-2500 started out as a 4+1 headstock and was later moved to 3+2, probably for balance reasons. I believe the string-through-body was provided to help with the B-string.
  4. swrbass5

swrbass5 Gold Supporting Member

I've had several L-2000's, but never owned the 2500. I do remember Bass Player mag doing a review of the 2500 when it first came out (with the 4+1 head). They made some comments about the headstock and the weight/balance. G&L apparently took the comments real serious, because not long afterwards they had completely redone the 2500. They gave it that head, and made the body out of Tilia with Maple top. I normally use a Stingray 5 live, but always have my 2000 on stage with me. Leo said he got it right with the 2000. I have to agree.