Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"How come there are never any deals on bass gear?" How to dumbfound a GC employee

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Money, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    That is the question I posed to the accessories guy...

10 packs of guitar strings for $10?

Guitar effects for $20?

Buy any guitar over $450, get a Squier strat or acoustic free!

Guitar amps up to %75 percent off!

I asked the guy why there aren't any bass sales, and he said this"

"Well, 5 out of 10 people play guitar, 3 out of 10 play drums, and 2 out of ten play bass."

:eyebrow:

"So, instead of attracting more people to bass with good deals on equipment, you kind of force broke kids who want to play an instrument into playing guitar becuase they can get started so cheaply?"

"Uhh..."

"The market is out there for bass players. The problem is, retail giants like you guys make it a pain in the ass to play bass. There are never any deals, the in-store selection is never consistent, and there is never a salesman that truely knows what he is talking about regarding basses."

"Well uh like...."

"Really, you sales people should LOVE bassists. Since our crap is $400 more expensive than the guitar stuff, that commission is a whole lot nicer. Now, 5-string set of DR Low-Riders. And don't ring me up. I want Dustin to get all $.05 of the commision on this sale."

idiots.

2. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Right you are... I have found a couple of people that could actually carry on an intelligent conversation about gear, but they've always been managers.

[RANT ON]
    They NEVER have ANYTHING in stock that I'm looking for. Even strings. No matter what, it's always a "special order" which means you have to pay first. Then it's a crap shoot when it actually comes in, and NOBODY will call you to let you know "it's here". You have to hold their hand all the way through the order process to get what you want, and follow up yourself just to make sure your prepaid order doesn't sit on a shelf for weeks - or worse, get sold to someone else. I should be getting a commission check for every one of my orders, because I have to do all the work my damn self! :scowl:
    [RANT /OFF]

However they do have the best return policy out there, and I take FULL advantage of it when necessary. They gave me a great deal on my SVP-PRO. When I found it had a problem I took it back and made them send it out for repair at their expense. Which they reluctantly did, and it's been fine ever since.

I do still get pi$$ed when I've been buying special order string sets there for 10 years, then I get a new kid in the Accessories Dept. that quotes me list price instead of the price I always pay. I've learned to just find a manager that knows me and he takes care of it. Still a hassle, but it's about the same as getting the wrong sandwich at Burger King :rolleyes:

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Love or hate Mike, this was great!

4. gamera

gamera

Sep 20, 2004
    Gloucester, MA
    Not to be condescending but its called the law of supply and demand.

I also hope you don't talk to people like that. Most of the people that work at GC and its ilk probably don't get paid a whole lot and probably sacrifice their pay so you can buy cheaply. Demand for cheap instruments from guys like you has created this problem, so stop giving them crap because people like you created this scenario.

Plus its Christmas time, we should all endeavor to be nicer.

5. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    That's a bunch of Hooey. I just left San Diego, I was working w/ a Pro Bass Player and the Mgr. of the guitar dept. They can cut really nice deals on bass equip. if they so desire. I was getting Ampeg @ wolesale, I paid $80 for a $150 Road Ready 4U Rack, I can go on. They can do it if you get the right person. But he's right, they don't pay near enough attention to the bass players.

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    GC:

Stingray for $850 NIB with case
    SWR GIII new $550
    SWR 350X new $350

My local shops:

Aria Pro something or another $400
    Behringer 1200BX $300
    ESP 5er with a loose vol knob $350

I love GC :)

7. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    "What kind of deal can you cut me?"

This is the phrase to always remember. It's saved me hundreds at GC since I learned it. I usually save 10-20%, more if I spend more. The guy knows he can save me $150 and only lose a dollar or two in commission, but get plenty of more business later.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    GC is what it is. You CAN get some decent discounts, especially on sale days.....i.e., $850 for a new SR5. I also paid WAY less than normal sale price on a Marcus Miller Jazz.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Can't cut any deals online, at least not with the big online music shops that carry the stuff that GC has. Smaller stores (like Northern Light and Sound) dealing with specialty amp products will give you better deals though. Love or hate GC, you can still get a much better price than the $1200 Musician's Friend or American Musical Supply charges for a Stingray 4-string.

10. Like any large store...10% of the staff know their stuff and are eager to help, 40% know their stuff and will help because they get paid to, and the last 50% have trouble adding.

Mike

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It does suck. My bass department at my local GC has a few nice ones and one goon who's actually a bass player. But if I'm going to definately buy, I'll go to the Guitar Center twice as far away to give my business to Mike.

12. oh i love guitar center, i brought back a defective processor/pedal board to be fixed and hadnt heard a word from them in weeks...so i called and they said it was there...when i got there they said it was sold....{guitar center totowa, new jersey}...i got my money back..woohoo...what about my f'n time without gear and travel etc..f'k guitar center

13. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Ohhhh, so "oh i love guitar center" was SARCASM...

I get it...

;)

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That's a pretty good Guitar Center. You should go see the long haired guy with a high voice. His name is Michael.

15. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    He's not wearing a single glove, is he ? :bag:

16. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'd say that you pretty much owned him.

17. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    If you were half as smart as you think you are, you'd be 4 times smarter than I'm giving you credit for. :eyebrow: :D

18. You GO, girl! :D

19. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    You are absolutely right when it comes to their regular stock. But when Musicians Friend blows something out - they really blow it out. Check out the recent thread on the Peavey Millenniums - I did my wife's Christmas shopping for her :)

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213711