1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How come there has never been an R&B scene?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by disco-al, Aug 26, 2012.

1. i ask the question only because it has been the most influential, and the last style of music that made actual jazz musicians re-think their approach. on any given night i can see jazz,rock, metal, even hiphop..but why? no R&B. there is actually no place for a young bassist to get their head cut and to grow. i would pay top dollar, to watch and listen to folks pull-off or struggle through Motown, Isaac Hayes what have you...how did the most dominate form of music not have a platform or venue to play in????

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Never?
    FME, the '60s & '70s had huge R&B scenes with many crossover hits/albums...

Here in my part of the world, there are no scenes for "Rock" & "Jazz".
    Some here will tell you that Hip-Hop is the current state (sub-genre?) of R&B.

3. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    yeah...never been a motown scene? It is in the name! Motown! Probably the best part of that city's recent history.

4. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    I think I understand what the OP is saying. At this point in time you can go to many venues and see a rock group, or a jazz group but to go out and see live R&B and real funk bands is really limited. There are a few pockets of funk and R&B being played live but not on the same level of accessibility as other genres of music. Live R&B and FUNK music in the black community where I live is not quite dead but it's on life support. Alot of urban players have gone back to church. Urban Gospel is alive and well

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

JimK and I live in the same area.

Definitely trying to change that in my area! There are several R&B bands but none making any real waves. Most have some really good musicians. And most have bass-players who like to show off or overplay! BORING! I try to bring the funk whenever we play but it's tough when the rest of the band isn't really paying attention! When we (The Wilson Night Project) first came out, we created a huge buzz but we have not progressed past that initial buzz. Lots of folks lost interest when we kept performing the same sets over a years time! Bad, in my book but it ain't my band! Biggest thing I've found is that the musical ability and work ethic is severely lacking. They all wanna do the easy stuff.

I would love to try to bring back a good 70's style funk band with horns, matching clothing and some sort of choreography. This area would eat it up! Slapwater (local band) is a good band with a decent horn section but they mail in their performances. They did pickup a new lead singer who injects a bit more energy but the band as a whole is stale.

Lastly, it depends on where you live. We have an R&B scene. Would love to see more Latin bands here though!