Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How come????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StartingLineBass, Aug 16, 2002.

1. StartingLineBass

StartingLineBass

Jul 24, 2002
    How come the pink Mark Hoppus signature bass that you can buy is WAY lighter then the bass he actually uses??????? In the bassstreet.com interview he even implies that his signature bass is available in his "signature" pink color.

From Bassstreet.com-

"Fender: It’s available in the pink color, which is your signature color, yes?

Hoppus: Right, although not too many people are comfortable enough with themselves to rock with a bright pink bass!"

So why???????????

2. Uh? oooh yes.. i get it.. I thougth you were talking about weight..

Maybe the variation is due to the fact that his pink bass was made first and then, when they began mass-producing, they didn't pay attention at the specific color they were supossed to use on it..

DO you want your pink MH bass darker?

3. I thought you were talking about its weight too.

Who knows? Maybe they only give it one coat of pink paint due to $ reasons.

Mike J.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    maybe he's trying to inspire some real _punk_ approach to his signature instrument - you know - a "repaint it yourself" attitude.

oh maybe he's just a scam artist - i mean, maybe he's really playing a tobias.

5. Uh-oh......

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I'd imagine because that bright pink is a custom color, and that pastel pink is one they have on hand anway.

7. If they had the Hoppus bass in colors other than pastels (and of course, those crappy colors IMO), I'd probably go out and buy one.

But they probably lightened the color to cut down on production costs and what not.

8. For all you guys that are "comfortable enough with yourselves". I have heard that Mary Kay has a WIN A BASS contest in the works.

9. StartingLineBass

StartingLineBass

Jul 24, 2002
    Yes

10. StartingLineBass

StartingLineBass

Jul 24, 2002
    I'm going with the whole money thing becasue if it did come in Hot Pink it would proanally cost $600+ considering that a Custom Fender costs around $2000-$3000+. I think thats why they didn't do the skull and crossbones inlays and the 2-piece pickgaurd (thats what warmoth is for!) Ethier that or Mark Hoppus doesn't want to see kids playing a bass just like his which I could understand.

I want this bass so bad regaurdless of color!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

11. StartingLineBass

StartingLineBass

Jul 24, 2002
    That picture sucked, lets try this one...

12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    does it really matter what shade of pink his bass is?

13. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I've always wondered if he's really even playing!

:D

P@

14. StartingLineBass

StartingLineBass

Jul 24, 2002
    It's not his bass I'm ranting on about, it's the signature bass you can buy. Look at the pink bass he plays and look at the pink bass you can buy, tell me which one is more attractive. I just prefer the custom pink to the fender factory pink.

15. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    pepto bismol is pepto bismol, man...it all looks the same to me...besides, it's the way with most signature instruments.

16. I don't think either of them is all that attractive. But I suspect that part of the reason he chose a pink bass was to irritate people like me who don't "get" punk rock.

17. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Billy Sheehan custom. Note the use of a DiMarzio Split-P :D.

[​IMG]

18. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida

Keyword: Irritate

19. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    "more attractive"? :rolleyes:

i have an idea - why don't you go buy one and paint it the color you want. wow, what an idea.

yeah, preach it funky. that mark hoppus, he's such a revolutionary. :rolleyes: