Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How common are dead spots in the second octave?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, May 24, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

In my expirence most dead spots i have found on a bass have been with in the first 12 frets for the most part but i am comming to realize that i have a nastry one on my C note on the A String 15 fret, how common is this ?. I know it has nothing to do with string hight as to the other notes come out clear with sustain.

2. I'm not sure about the exact note/fret you've mentioned, but I know that quite a few basses (and guitars) have some dead spots.
    I have a nasty one on my ESP F-204 on the 2nd string, 9th fret. That note just dies. Tried different strings and setups, but it's still there. It's not an issue of fret buzz, or improper setup.

I'm thinking about trying one of those FatFinger devices that clamps to the basses headstock. It adds mass to the headstock, which supposedly helps cure some of the neck resonance problems. You can move it around until you find the sweet spot that cures the dead spot.
    That's really what's happening with the dead spot. The neck begins resonating with that particular note which cancels it out. Adding the Fatfinger adds extra mass which changes the way the neck woods resonate. Or heck I think that's the way it works?? haha..

Mag...

3. Fat finger will move the deadspot, not cure it FYI.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have one on ym cheap squier. 1st string, 5th fret. I have never noticed it before this posting.

5. Yes, you're correct. It probably won't completely remove the spot, but one might be able to move it to a frequency that doesn't get used as much.
    I might do some more experimenting. Since my B note on the 2nd string-9th fret is the culprit, I checked to see if the same note on the 1st string-4th fret had problems. It sure does.. But only that one note. I can't find another anywhere on the neck.
    I'll bet that different tuning would change some of this as well.
    I have small c-clamps that I might test with to see if they change anything.

Trevorus: That dead spot on your C note is notorious on Fender-type basses. There's been alot of discussion here about that same issue...

Mag...

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That's interesting. I am glad it is only on that string. No other C note does it.

7. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    This probably won't help, but it's an interesting link on the subject.

8. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    What exactly is a 'dead spot?'

I may already know what it is from it's effect or description - I'm just not sure of the term 'dead spot.'

9. It's a note and a fret position that just doesn't ring out like the adjacent string or the note just above or below it on the same string. It's dead and lifeless. The world famous Fender deadspot can be anywhere from Bb to D on the G string. This is an effect of the fretted note and the resonant frequency of the neck being the same and cancelling each other out - sort of like when your stereo speakers are out of phase and you can't hear any bass. By increasing the mass of the headstock (fatfinger) the resonant frequency location of that matching note (the note itself) is moved. I suppose the idea is to move it to a point that it is either between fretted notes so that the damped effect is split between the two fretted notes and therefore has it's strength cut in half OR move it to a point on the neck that doesn't get as much use so it doesn't interfere with that particular players style.