1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How common are fully passive Warwick basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by russpurdy, Oct 31, 2013.

1. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    Posted before about loving the tone of my passive rockbass. How common are higher end Warwicks that are fully passive? Is it a standard option? Is it a fairly simple process to pull the active guts out of a Warwick and fill the holes with passive volume and tone pots?

2. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    a lot of german warwick's have a passive / active push-pull pot which would negate the need to switch the whole inners on most of them.

3. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    Would it be possible to wire up a passive tone control for passive mode? I play passive basses 95% of the time so passive tone control would be important. Would be nice to switch to active every now and then though.

4. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    the corvette standard is completely passive and a very well made and undervalued bass. you can find them used for 500-600 bucks easily.

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    There was a fretless one at my local GC for years that I kept thinking of buying but it was really heavy for having such a small body so I passed on it. For the right price I would have bought it, though as it did sound really nice. Nice that it was passive which I too prefer. My only active bass is my Rick Turner and that is only due to it's needing the buffer preamp in it.

My Martin Keith Elfins (fretful and fretless), in particular have such great pickups and a cool passive set up that many people think they have preamps in them.

6. Mudcat35

Mudcat35

Feb 21, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Mine's passive.