1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How common is this?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by gr8bassplayer, Mar 5, 2013.

1. gr8bassplayer

gr8bassplayer

Feb 12, 2013
    Nebraska
    I'm going to be buying an upright bass in a few months, and I'm renting one now. I need a new pickup for jazz band, and am wondering if it is common to get a pickup with a new bass. I would like a new pickup ASAP, but am thinking it would be worth a few months to wait if I would get it for free.

2. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    It's common to get a pickup with a new bass, especially if it requires a bit of skill to install properly, but it won't be free.

3. Jsn

Jsn upright citizen

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    The OP seems to be asking if it's customary for pickups to be thrown into the deal when purchasing a bass. To which is the answer, I believe, is no.

Pickups are a matter of personal taste, and what works for one player and/or style of music won't work for another. Other bassists use no pickups at all (you won't see the orchestral section plugging in).

If a pickup happens to be pre-installed on a bass, it may be kept on the instrument when listed for sale. But no, a new one won't be installed as a matter of course.