Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How cool is this?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AuG, Jun 23, 2005.

1. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I get to play bass while I'm at work. Awesome.

See, I sometimes get stuck working the graveyard shift at my hotel, 11pm to 7 am while doing the audit and backing up the system, etc.etc. Needless to say it doesn't take me very long, about 2 hours, so I can play as much as I want as long as I get my work done. I don't play thru an amp or anything, but I can still do basic scale and finger exercises.
    Does anybody else have this good fortune? I consider myself lucky to get paid while I'm playing, and nobody's around to complain about how I sound! :D

Oog :bassist:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hey, take advantage of it, pal! NOBODY gets that kind of a break at work. Hell, if you worked for me, I'd be handing you a mop and a bucket when your audit was done ;)

3. that's awesome. sometimes playing without an amp is frustrating for me, still, it beats working!

4. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    When my brother works the graveyard shift he usually gets around 8-10 hours of free time to practice guitar, watch Direct TV, use internet, or anything else he can think of. Does all this while getting paid $38.00 an hour.

5. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO

Yeah like punching some keys on a keyboard is 'work' nowadays. It's frustrating without an amp for me too, I'm used to hearing all the nuances and soft notes, forget about harmonics. Still, what else do they want me to do? Fall asleep? I checked with my boss before bringing in my bass, and he was cool with it. Even if he wasn't, I think I'd still do it, and if he pitched a fit and threatened to fire me or something, I'd just say, "I'd rather get fired for playing bass than for sleeping on the job."
    That would make a cool story for my kids some day. :p

Oog