Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How cool were the RHCP back in the day!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by oldirtymoney, Jan 3, 2003.

1. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    Seriously! Im talking about freaky styley and there first album before that with songs like Out in La, Get up and Jump. They were so awesome back then and there still super super awesome now but i think i speak for everyone that when u hear the The red hot chili peppers you think of crazy funk slap intense guitar with the bass humpin yo face!!!

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    BSSM is their best. Period.

3. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I agree w/ the BSSM statement.

4. BSSM=Blood Sugar Sex Magik

5. Heheh BDSM....hehehe

Diarrhea

6. One Hot Minute all the way baby!

7. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    I liked one hot minute the most.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    NUTS TO YOU GUYS!

Freakey Styley all the way!
    thats the best album. though I'm a fan of all their stuff, thoughBy the Way was dissapointing.

9. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I like all their albums, but the older ones are the best IMO:)

10. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    I must learn for my music school 'Knock me down' from mother's milk album!
    What an awful song!
    So flat..
    So bad..
    I prefer BSSM..
    Red hot in concert are awful.. Anthony Kiedis cant sing live (he shouldn't..)

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    In the early daze-
    They were something different...though I will say the vocals/lyrics were sorta an immediate turn-off for me.
    I like Freaky Styley; I like their stabs at R&B/Funk classics like "Hollywood"(actually, it's The Meters' "Africa") & Sly's "If You Want Me To Stay".
    Hendrix's "Fire", too(though that was a little later).
    I still like "Mommie, Where's Daddy" from one of their early, early albums.
    Their The Other Side Of Abbey Road cover was wayyyyy out there!

Have you RHCP diehards checked out Gang Of Four(yet)?
    ;)

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Personally I dont care for 99% of their material and since this is talking about the entire band and their cd's/recordings and not specifically the bassist it shouldnt not be in the bassists forum.

moved to recordings.

13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    I have BSSM and Mother's Milk and I have no desire to buy any other RHCP album since I have THE best ones

14. Anthony Keidis sucks, but Blood Sugar Sex Magic is a good album. By the way Dave, I don't have a life.

15. i DO have a life, but i have very good sight.*

*i just lied twice.

16. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

Exactly they wrote the sound that faith no more put on the radio. (Ok urban dance squad was up to something similar) That whole LA thing fishbone ,Janes, thelonius monster They each had something pretty unique goin on.

Any way Uplift mofo is the only album thats got the whole band on it. Its still young and dumb yet mature for that sound. I dont want to hear anthony sing some sensitive crap cause he's bad at it. Give me" No Chump Love sucka" Any day! They are the fathers of PUNK funk!Police Helicopter is a great example of what I consider to be distilled chili
    pepper. The Jack Hammer Bass of flea ( while I love and learned alot from flea playing more trad funk this sound was HIS CONTRIBUTION TO THE VOCABULARY OF BASS)and Anthony "rapping" in that style that he had.Simple ,stupid,as original as you can get in music and played with great energy.GREAT!

First album doesnt have Hellel and was half finnished when it was realeased (JimK funny you should mention Gang of four Andy Gill did this wonderful Job of mixing)

Freaky styley is a great album no dought Its too clean and refined though.Jack is missing on this one. Cliff was the man with the Meters influence though he could play the secound line in the rock setting.

Dont get me wrong the only reason for me cutting this stuff is to show how much I believe in Uplift mofo. When I think of the chilis this is the sound!

Blood sugar is by far the best album post original line up. Its mature and focused ,its great.

Every time I listen to them on the radio Im amazed at how much They suck now.

AJ