How could anyone buy a bass online?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Da LadY In Red, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Hey guys, I'm been quite befuddled by this simple question, how can you guys buy basses online?

I can understand buying amps and the like as they don't have a physical aspect to them (as in, playing on a bass), but how can you buy a bass online? I mean, I'd only buy a bass once I've gotten a feel for it (literally) and really played it out. I can understand buying cheap Essex brand bass and the like, but a Fender bass (which have especially spotty quality between models) or a Spector?

So if you bought a bass online, why? Are you happy with it? Did you wish you could've played a few notes before you bought?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Well, if I buy a bass online I either:

a) buy it new from a place with a good return policy
    b) buy it used from one of the many sites (ebay,bassgear etc). I buy things I know I can sell at the same price (or close to at least) if I decide I don't like it

I really don't see what the problem is. If I like it, I keep it. If I don't like it, I'm generally only out the shipping cost plus maybe auction fees, and I've gotten to try out something I wouldn't have had a chance to otherwise. To me that's worth the marginal cost.
  3. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I bought a Fender Fretless Jazz Deluxe on ebay, for 650 US plus shipping taxes ETC. After it all was boiled down worked out to about 950 CDN. They retail here for around 1800 CDN.

My local Fender dealer didin't even have a deluxe Fretless in stock so I played a fretless a bit and played the deluxe a bit and like what I played. So I bought it on ebay cause the price was right and I woudln't get to play it anyways without risking a restocking fee.

I like the way it sounds and I like the way it plays and It could have been very different but I'm sure if I hated it that much I could get my money back selling it used.
  4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I've bought two Sadowskys online. I've been playing them for over 15 years and know what to expect.

I'd want to audition anything else, though.
  5. I bought two basses online...a wishbass which after a bit of tweaking, some very minor mods and the right string choice, I absolutely love...and I bought a Yamaha RBX170 that looks brand new, after some action tweeking, I think this bass rocks, too!...I've a new set of d'addario XL's for her that I haven't put on yet, when I do...look out!

I have <$500 invested total in both basses...I probably lucked out a bit with the wishbass, although Steve's rep is good as being fair with his unsatisfied far as the can anyone go wrong with a $130 yammy??? And this one came without a single scratch or new!
  6. I bought all my Rics off the same company on the net ( A very reputable company i may add). I tried one down south once and i liked it. But what really did me in is seeing Motorhead live once (Yes i know Lemms are modified) that was "my sound." And i wanted it. So i have been hooked on Rics since.

Rics are known to be pretty much playable on delivery...They are known for excellent quality control. So i was never too worried. I have been playing Rics pretty much exclusively now for a while...and no other bass has really grabbed my attention to this date. So you could say im very happy with my online purchases, And wouldnt be afraid to make fact..i just made another down payment this weekend on a new "toy" ;)
  7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    This isn't as big a deal as it used to be. Due to modern production techniques, basses of the same type are a lot closer to the same than they used to be when there was a lot more hand work.

Also, I tend to buy when I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I want and there's a good return policy.
  8. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    As previously mentioned in this thread I think if you buy new then you have less chance of being dissapointed. Buying used is a crapshoot. I bought two Fenders on Epray. First one looked great but had more dead spots than a cemetary.
    Second one was awesome and is here to stay. :cool:
  9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I live in an area where you aren't going to find too many higher end basses that you can get your hands on in stores without travelling quite a ways.

I have bought a couple of Modulus quantums on line (one brand new and one from a TB member).

When I order a new 4 string and a new Roscoe 6 string, both deals will have to come from an online source. But, without a lot of travelling, still not knowing if I am going to find exactly what I am looking for, I have no choice but to order online.

I would love to be able to drive up to the music stores in Fargo and buy from them, but they don't carry much for higher end basses. Warwicks, Peavey Cirrus's, the occasional Pedulla (Raptures only), are about it up there.
  10. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    I've had mixed luck. I bought all of my Alembics off the internet, but they were brand new. I bought two Gibson Rippers, one of which is great, the other not so great (which I sold). Same goes for my Gibson RD 77 Artist. Bought off of EBay, and it was not as described. You do take your chances. On the other hand ..

I bought my Bongo off Ebay, and it's absolutely outstanding.

I didn't play any of the Alembics I bought before I bought them. I figured if I didn't like them, I could sell them. Well, I love them all. They're not leaving my stable any time soon.

Bottom line is you're taking a chance. You should be prepared to sell it in the event you don't like it.

11. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    This is the same situation I'm in. When I bought my Roscoe last year, I first read a lot of threads about them. I then talked with the retailer, I also talked with the builder. My retailer had a very reasonable return policy just in case I didn't end up liking the bass. Everything turned out even better than I expected.

I've done the same thing with the cabinets and preamp I now use.

For me to travel to an area that had all the stuff I was interested in, I probably would've had to have driven 600 to 800 miles away.

My two cents.
    - Art
  12. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Most of the basses that I want I don't really have an opportunity to play before I buy. I have bought several basses off of the internet and been happy with them. Also maybe I'm just not real picky when it comes to my basses but I feel that once any bass is set up properly I'll get the sound out of it that I want :)

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

+1 Thats the samething with me.
  14. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    If your under house arrest how else could you get your new fender? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I went to my local music store and played all there selection, and i found the bass I want, and I dont plan on buying from them becuase all their bass's are sratched and dinged up and they still charge full price, so I plan to buy online.

I bought my guitar online and my bass online, actually my guitar I got from HSN lol. But your right I should of went to a store becuase my bass, the body of it is way to big for me to deal with, so thats why I plan on getting a new bass.
  15. I agree with this basic purchasing philosophy. I've had numerous Excellent experiences buying on-line through Ebay and Retailers. I've purchased quite a few high-end basses and miscellaneous gear through Ebay. Of course, the quality of handmade basses is more consistent than that of many Production Line basses.

However, if the Ebay Seller has alot (almost impeccable) Ebay feedback (I usually look for something near or over 100 positive responses). Ebay can be a great source for low priced deals on great equipment.
  16. Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Just had to say- bwahahahaha!
    But anyway, I have bought one bass online, a Bolin NS fretless that I really like, and I had one bass built for me by a luthier whose basses I had never played. I suppose I have been lucky on both, though they both had great reps, and I felt that I would have a decent chance of breaking even if I didn't like the Bolin and turned it around.
    Oh yeah, I also sold a Hamer 8 string online and that transaction went really well.
  17. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005

Why? Can't buy a Status Graphite locally.

Am I happy with it? Yes, thankfully I love it! Took a gamble spending over $5K sight unseen, but I'm thrilled with it.

18. If you live far from a place that carry the bass you're looking for you got to do it... But I personally prefer trying out a bass before buying it...
  19. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Easy. When you get home from the gig, drag out the blender and make yourself up a nice batch of your favorite blender drink. Be sure to pour in at least a pint of hard booze. Don't scrimp on the booze. It's late at night and unless you got real plastered on the job, you will need a few more to get yourself in real shopping mood. Then go online to one of the all-night web sites like Music123 or Musicians Fiend and start looking at basses. Look only at brands and styles of basses that you have never had before. The booze will give you the courage to try something completely different. Ordering one in a weird color also adds to the fun. Type in your shipping info and your credit card number and then just sit back and relax. In about a week or so the UPS truck will bring you a new bass. By then you will have forgotten all about it and won't even remember what you ordered. So when you first open the box it will be very exciting. In my case, it was an Ibanez SRX705. See, it's not so hard. Go for it. ;)