1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How could I get this bass to play comfortably.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dallaspezz, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Dallaspezz

Dallaspezz

Nov 12, 2014
    Ontario
    I feel there's too much relief in the neck, but the truss rod already feels tight. I also adjusted the string height but this as low as I can get it without buzz. I'm used to really low action on guitar. Are basses usually this high? Sorry for all the questions, but you guys seem to always give the best answers.
    Thanks so much.

Attached Files:

2. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
    Read the Fender setup guide in the Stickies. If you can't get the neck straight with a truss rod adjustment, you may have other problems that need to be addressed

Dallaspezz likes this.
  3. Dallaspezz

Dallaspezz

Nov 12, 2014
    Ontario
    Thanks for your help!

4. Sixpack324

Sixpack324

Jan 10, 2012
    New Jersey
    What is in the neck pocket? Some sort of red towel or paper or something?

5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    That neck looks to have a massive amount of relief. If the truss rod won't continue to turn, I'd take it to a luthier

Dallaspezz likes this.
  6. Dallaspezz

Dallaspezz

Nov 12, 2014
    Ontario
    Nothing, that's just chipped paint.

7. Dallaspezz

Dallaspezz

Nov 12, 2014
    Ontario
    I thought it had a ton of relief, but I thought I'd get a second opinion. Thanks!

8. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    If that's an earlier MIM 70's reissue Fender Jazz, that neck might be toast. They had a BIG problem with those twisting, and/or the truss rod bottoming out.

9. Dallaspezz

Dallaspezz

Nov 12, 2014
    Ontario
    It's a knock off neck, I think they maybe shipped it with the truss rod loose? I only bought it, because I needed a quick replacement neck.

10. Dallaspezz

Dallaspezz

Nov 12, 2014
    Ontario
    I got it moving, I gave it a quarter turn and I'll see what it does.

11. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Looks like the slots in the nut may be sitting pretty high. You may be able to cut them down some.

12. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I would say its gonna need a lot more than 1/4 turn. Adjust it until your relief is correct.

wisconsindead and Dallaspezz like this.
  13. Dallaspezz

Dallaspezz

Nov 12, 2014
    Ontario
    I was thinking that, too. I was debating on filing them down.

14. Dallaspezz

Dallaspezz

Nov 12, 2014
    Ontario
    I was just taking it slow, because I broke my last truss rod from tightening it too much... Lol.

15. I see three things:

1) A neck that probably needs a shim.

2) Too much relief due to truss rod mis-adjustment.

3) Failure to press the strings down at the witness points on the nut. (And yes, the nut may need cut.)

I also wonder if the OP doesn't have extremely heavy gauge strings which are making the problem worse and the fit at the nut incorrect.

READ THE SETUP GUIDE. Don't just start cranking on the truss rod!!

Dallaspezz and Zooberwerx like this.
  16. Dallaspezz

Dallaspezz

Nov 12, 2014
    Ontario
    I just have regular round wounds 50-105 on
    I'm using the regular roundwound 50-105 and this is also a new neck, so I don't think strings would be it, not sure. I will put a shim in and see if that helps. If not, I'm just going to take it to a tech. Thanks for your help.

17. It's fine if you do that - IF it's needed, and done as part of a complete setup.

I hope the "you need a complete setup" message is coming through. Doing part of the job may result in wasted work.

18. Dallaspezz

Dallaspezz

Nov 12, 2014
    Ontario
    I was just asking to see if it was something easy I could fix at home. I'll take it for a complete setup,before I screw it up.

19. Well, look at it this way - after you've played around with the bass for a while, you'll be able to do your own setups.

Dallaspezz and wisconsindead like this.
  20. Yes if you don't know or are not comfortable doing setup work take it to somebody who does. I think it would be in your best interest to watch and learn if that's possible. You should read Fenders bass guitar setup guide as well as watching videos on you tube about doing it. Also joeysbassnotes.com. It's not difficult to do once you learn
    and will save you tons of money. And it's kind of fun, at least for me anyway. If you don't know what your doing you can make a royal mess out of everything!

Dallaspezz likes this.