1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How could I improve my basslines? mp3's included!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by That_Pink_Queen, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Hey guys, I've kind of been teaching myself bass. Technically I havn't been up to much, I've been mostly working on basslines. I was wondering if you guys could take a listen to some clips of me and tell me what you think could be improved in terms of bassline quality. Most of the recordings are pretty sloppily done, so I'm not too worried about that part.

Anyways, the file with all the clips is here:
    http://www.rockgardenlove.com/music/

If you guys could just listen to a few and tell me what you guys think of my basslines, and how they could be improved, that would be cool.

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    Thats pretty good.

but on some songs you recorded you cant actually hear the bass very well

3. Thanks man. I've been completedly self taught for about 1.5 months now.

4. micko

micko

Mar 27, 2006
    sounds pretty good for teachin yurself i went about a month and a half of teachin myself and i could almost make people cry :crying: . then i got some lessons.

5. I don't have the capability of listening to your stuff right, but just have fun, a good starting point is to make sure your roots are down, if you can do that, then see how else you can do those roots, slap it, a double stop, harmonic. After see if can connect your roots together in some creative. If you're goin from A to C, toss a B in between. Something like that. Just make sure that you're not taking away from the song with what you're doing.

6. Schwaa

Schwaa

Feb 25, 2006
    I listened to Thang (slow connection)

I thought it sounded pretty good. I'm learning mysefl so not the best judge, but i didn't notice anything that was like "what the 'ell?"

What are you playing along with, a CD minus bass?

7. ^I'm playing along with myself. I just recorded drums+guitar etc, and then dubbed myself in again with bass. It's all me.

8. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Pretty clean, you have a good ear. I'd say keep playing. Adapt guitar stuff to your bass. Ideas will come, you'll find yourself rewriting your lines often.

9. Schwaa

Schwaa

Feb 25, 2006
    Wow, I'd say that's pretty damn good for playing all 3 instrument. I take it you're not learning all 3 at once though, eh?

10. I'm learning drums, bass, and piano at the moment