Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how could i make the sound more "clean"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slapinandpopin7, May 1, 2005.

1. I have a GK backline 350, the sound gets dirty if i play hard. I have pushed the -10 db and it still has that dirty sound. when the -10 pad is depressed i need to turn up cuz its not as loud obviously, but then the sound just gets bad once i go up to a certain level, but thats not loud enough. how could i still keep the -10 depressed but get a cleaner sound?

2. if theres a pregain dial, turn that down and turn the mast volume up ?

3. At 115w @ 8ohms or 175w @ 4ohms you're going to push this amp to its limits rather quickly. I agree that you will need to keep your preamp gain low and power amp gain high to get the most out of this amp.

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Keep the boost and gain low, and the master volume high. Also see if you could do with less bass on your EQ, because those frequencies soak up lots of wattage. But you probably need a more powerful amp or more efficient cabinet if you're getting distortion below your desired volume and the controls are set properly.

5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Assuming that your gain and master are properly set, I'd say you need an amp with more headroom. You also need to make sure when you "play hard" that your not exceeding the vibration limits of the string. There's a point where you need to back off on how hard you play and let the amp do some of the work for you.

6. power amp volume would be the output controll, correct?

7. this amp is pretty new though, so i cant go out and get a new amp with more headroom. Is there anything i could do to boost the volume while keeping this amp?

8. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    You could cut the bass a bit, which would give you a clearer sound at high levels.

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    unfortunately, it kinda sounds like you're in a bit of a pickle. yes, cutting the bass/boosting the mids will help you get a bit louder.

i get crap every once in a while for reccomending high wattage amps but this is why i do. nothing is worse than finding out that your amp just won't cut it in a real world situation. :rollno:

10. no dude, im not tryin to give u crap at all, its just that i dont have enough money to get another amp.

11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I'd hate to recommend a Behringer product, but I think in this case you should take the Backline head back and get a Behringer 300 watt head. You simply don't have enough power for your situation.

12. is the reason u hate recamending a Behringer product because they arnt that good? will i be waisting the little money i could spend on a POS or do you think it would be worth it?

13. Quality

Quality

May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    This is probably stupid, but nobody has brought up the bass itself and everybody keeps talking about the amp.
    I had a similar problem when I really dug in and it turned out that my pickups were just a bit too high.
    Other than that you could try turning down the volume on the bass itself just slightly, this might help a bit.

I agree with all of the other comments about pre amp gain staying low and turning up the post. This will keep the amp from clipping the speaker.

14. but if i bring the pickups down wont that decrease the volume?

15. Quality

Quality

May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Yep, thats the idea, If the bass is running too hot into the preamp on the combo, then you will get some fuzz or distortion. That's also why I suggested turning the bass down slightly.
    When you dig in it might be just a tad to hot for the preamp causing it to distort. I had this problem with soapbar pickups which like to be about 1/8"-5/16" from the string.
    humbuckers can be much closer because the magnetic pull from a soapbar is much more than from a humbucking pickup.

If this is the case than in the long run you will be able to turn everything up more and it will be clean.

16. ok, so when ur talkin about taking the pups lower, you mean getting a screwdriver and literaly lowering, right? your not talking about lowering the out put of the pup, right?

17. Quality

Quality

May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    You got it.
    By Lowering the pickup, I am saying to make it further from the strings. This may not be the problem at all, just something to try. Your pickups should either have springs or rubber bushings under the screws that make this easy to try.

18. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Yes, there are screws on each end of the pickup, you can use them to lower the pickup so its further from the strings, this will slightly decrease the lows in the signal. You could also play with the volume/tone controls on your bass to ensure your aren't sending too hot a signal into the amp.

Don't bother with a new amp, the GK combos are nice amps, they just aren't loud. Make as best you can until you can afford a louder amp. Are you playing in a band? Because this amp should be more than loud enough to practice on your own with.

19. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    No offense, but "soapbar" merely refers to the shape of the pickup. Many (probably most) soapbars are humbucking pickups.

20. yes i play in a band with, and we play alot of shows where there rooms are quite large and now that i need to hit the -10pad its gonna be pretty hard to fill the rooms, and it was hard enough before (btw-I have the -10 pad down because without it it creates alot of unwanted distortion at high levels)