1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How could I use a Roland Portable Sampler?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Killens84, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Killens84

Killens84 Gold Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Mississippi
    I have access to a Roland SP-404SX Portable Sampler anytime I want to use it. I play in a 5-piece band, and also a spin-off trio with myself, the drummer, and the keyboard/guitarist from that band.
    I'm clueless about the practical uses of a sampler like that, and I'm wondering what all I could do with it in my full band or trio. Anyone got any ideas of how I could use the sampler to enhance our live shows?

2. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    A sampler is a very open-ended tool for creating and making music, practically all hip-hop is sampler-based music. Basically, there are two types of samples: loops and "one shots". One shots could be sounds like sound effects or flourishes. Loops are rhythmic samples that are meant to be played continuously (looped) in time with the song. Drum loops are common of course, but any musical phrase can be looped...drums, keys, guitars, vocals, whatever... A lot of possibilities to fill out the sound of your band.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I am not familiar with that particular sampler but I have used a sampler live (I used a looper to run samples, Boss RC-20XL) I used to play in a stoner rock/doom metal band and we played a bunch of ambient type stuff with some twisted bible quotes and general santanic type things. A few folks got it, some were offended (just as good if not better than getting it) and most people couldn't care less and continued drinking.

If you plan on playing with a looper live your entire band needs impeccable timing and will take a lot of work to do well, the drummer will also need a click so he can properly time the loops.

4. +1
    also for example, if one absent minded player decides to kick off a song in the wrong key, the rest of the band may be able to adapt on the fly, but the sampler cannot without throwing off the tempo.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021