1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)
  2. The purpose of this forum is to solicit input on newsletter content.  Paul L. from Threadloom (threadloom_paul) is testing algorithms that will select threads to feature as "popular" in upcoming weekly emails.  He has access to this forum and will be posting here shortly.  Thanks! - Paul D.

how d oyou clean the metal parts on your bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve_man, Oct 3, 2003.

1. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I'm in need of cleaning the chrome parts on my bass.

any suggestions?

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I use the treated cotton cloth you can get at the guitar store to polish instruments. They are only a dollar or two. I never use instrument polish but a lot of people do. I find that just the cloth is sufficient to clean all parts of my basses. Always keep one in my case to wipe off the strings after I play too.

3. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Me too, I've only used guitar polish once and I found it to be unnecessary. A quick wipe with a good polish cloth will do the job unless there are stubborn stains like sticker adhesive, I'd recommend just using a normal polish cloth. Make sure you wipe it nice and good before and after you play.

4. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    This stuff is awesome for metal. It's what I use on the metal parts of fine violin bows when I'm doing repairs/restorations.

5. Depends on how long its been between cleans, if I'm regular a cloth will do the trick. Tend to get pretty busy during the uni semester so it doesn't get done as often so I get the tarnish stuff building up. Fabric doesn't work as well so I just just use regular white paper, cuts right through, cause its just like a super fine sandpaper.

Josh D

6. Me too, but I do use a silver instrument polish for the vintage basses I own. The tunning pegs need it to shiine like new!

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Everyone has already covered the stuff I was going to say....I also keep a can of compressed air (the kind you can get to clean computer keyboards) that I use a lot to spray out the hard to reach spots like between bridge saddles and around pickups and such...works really well also as an added cleaning tool.