how d oyou clean the metal parts on your bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve_man, Oct 3, 2003.

1. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I'm in need of cleaning the chrome parts on my bass.

any suggestions?
  2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I use the treated cotton cloth you can get at the guitar store to polish instruments. They are only a dollar or two. I never use instrument polish but a lot of people do. I find that just the cloth is sufficient to clean all parts of my basses. Always keep one in my case to wipe off the strings after I play too.
  3. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Me too, I've only used guitar polish once and I found it to be unnecessary. A quick wipe with a good polish cloth will do the job unless there are stubborn stains like sticker adhesive, I'd recommend just using a normal polish cloth. Make sure you wipe it nice and good before and after you play.
  4. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    This stuff is awesome for metal. It's what I use on the metal parts of fine violin bows when I'm doing repairs/restorations.
  5. Depends on how long its been between cleans, if I'm regular a cloth will do the trick. Tend to get pretty busy during the uni semester so it doesn't get done as often so I get the tarnish stuff building up. Fabric doesn't work as well so I just just use regular white paper, cuts right through, cause its just like a super fine sandpaper.

Josh D
  6. Me too, but I do use a silver instrument polish for the vintage basses I own. The tunning pegs need it to shiine like new!

7. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Everyone has already covered the stuff I was going to say....I also keep a can of compressed air (the kind you can get to clean computer keyboards) that I use a lot to spray out the hard to reach spots like between bridge saddles and around pickups and really well also as an added cleaning tool.