Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How dark is the Warwick Fortress fretboard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Helaskold, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Helaskold

Helaskold 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Hey guys, I am just about to pull the trigger on a Warwick Rockbass Fortress 5-string bass but I never trust the pictures to show how dark the fretboard is.

I know it's rosewood but sometimes they companies make the rosewood really dark to where it's almost ebony looking. THAT'S what I want. I just wouldn't be happy with it not being very dark.

If any of you have had a chance to see one of these in person, I would really appreciate you confirming if it looks as ebony-like as it does in the pictures.

The bass in question: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Warwick-Rockbass-Fortress-5-String-Electric-Bass-H98272-i3142099.gc

If I can get confirmation, I'm going to buy it almost immediately, so any input would be great!

Also, side question: Are these pups noisy? They didn't sound noisy in the demo vids but I figured I should ask.

Thanks for reading!

2. Selta

Selta Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Well, just like all figured tops don't look alike, so too will each fretboard be different. Unless you're able to get a picture of the one you're actually buying, then you can't be certain what you'll get.

3. Register_To_Disable

4. Helaskold

Jul 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    While the above is totally accurate, I would like even one person's experience with them to know if there's even a chance of getting a super dark one. I'm ordering straight through Warwick so, if I was told you can get them ebony-ish, I would just ask for the darkest one they have.

If no one has any input, I'm sure I'd still order it blind, but I don't believe in returning items unless they aren't working so I would be stuck with it. Any responses would be helpful! Thanks.

5. You could dye / stain it darker pretty easily, I'd think.

6. Looks pretty dark in the pictures I've seen. Nothing looks worse than a dried out light colored piece of rosewood.

[​IMG]

7. Helaskold

Jul 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    See, that looks pretty nice. I totally agree. It would ruin the bass for me if it came in looking light colored. The dark fretboard just makes the Warwick aesthetic imho.