Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How dependent are you?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by De Teng, Apr 13, 2005.

1. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    If something happened and your effects were stolen and you just had to do the gig the same evening.... could you play your stuff on bass or are you almost too dependent on your fx-loop??? If yes.. is that a right thing... hmmm.....

This aspect of making music just crossed my mind... Anyway, in my case.... I could... perhaps.. but it wouldn't be less fun and got annoyed by not havin' them... so perhaps I'm psychologically speaking too dependent on them?

2. We write our songs acousticly and then go back and spiff it up. I'm a bit dependent at this point. If I had to play with just the bass (Which I still do for 4 out of every 5 songs) it may sound a bit different. Now if the guitars lost their pedals........ oh &^%!

3. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I can go without my pedals, I only have 3 pedals and only use them for maybe half of our songs. My guitarist would be pretty screwed without his pedal board. I don't see it as a bad thing to need your pedals, people always say that pedals are just a crutch for bad playing, but I see them as a tool to learn and master. Could you do a gig without your amp?

4. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    I can do without for most of the stuff I use them for (thickening up underneath guitar solos, bit of chorus when it's just bass and drums doing the riff, envelope filter for one of the funkier basslines), but there's a couple of songs where it kind of depends on them. One has a bass solo thing with distortion and envelope filter, where if the effect isn't there, it just doesn't have the same bite (and I've missed the switch a couple of times). The other is eBow + Memory Man Deluxe delay, and there's no way I'm going to get that any other way!

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

It varies from band to band, but mostly I can do without perfectly happily. I've written a few pieces that are quite EFX-dependent though. I'd just skip those tunes if my EFX wren't available for whatever reason.

6. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I don't use any effects, so I'm fairly independant. Our guitarist refuses to play one of our songs without her delay adn chorus though.

7. I have only one pedal now that I only use in the chorus section of one song (USA EHX Bassballs w/distortion on and sensitivity at about noon or 1:00) to get kind of a gritty talkbox sound effect, and I intend to get an octaver, envelope filter, and a fuzz, but I wouldnt be dependent on any of it. I feel that my playing, and my bands playing can stand alone without effects, and still be plenty effective. Pedals just give a hint of uniqueness and funkiness.

8. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    It depends on the band I'm with *L*

on my EB, I use chorus and reverb all the time for color. I've played without, just prefer not to.

on my AEB, I just have a mic-preamp. No effeccts at all

My Tuesday Night gig (Leading worship for a Jr. High Youth Group) is pretty much "Jesus Punk". I use tons of Over Drive, BassBalls, and Wah on my EB... If I didn't have them, I'd lose some of my sound...

My Sunday Morning Gig is "Big church", so I gotta keep it on the D/L.. I'm usually clean, although I've slipped OD and Wah in every once in awhile...

My Saturday morning group is small, so I'm usually just sending one of my axe's into my Microbass III. Effects just get in the way...

If I lost my effects, I'd be pissed, but I think I'd be ok...

9. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I got my OD stolen off the stage a few gigs ago (immediately after the last set). I made SURE to go out and buy another before the next gig!

The unbelievable part is that the club owner felt bad about it, and PAID for the replacement! (Games Tavern in West Bend, Wisconsin USA)

Joe

10. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I go through phases where I use a lot or don't use any. That way I find I'm always learning something new about my playing about how effects can augment it (or detract from it).

11. I dont really use that many effects, only My Morely Fuzz/Wah and a small cheap effect board. I use the effect board mainly for a volume boost, and the morely I only use for a select few songs and solo's.

12. I use a good deal of effects - mostly my overdrives/distortions, some wah, filter, and phaser, but i do use an octaver, a tremolo, prunes and custard...more than most people...

I'm in a 4 piece (drum, bass, guitar, vocal) and my guitarist like to space out, were like prog rock with pop influence...and my other band is a 3 piece funk/jam band (i only use my overdrive, wah, filter, and occasionally chorus with them)...so the effects (especially overdrive) fill in the room left empty when the guitarists step up or solo...i also like to keep my bass in the mix so to speak, so if my guitarist steps on a distortion, u cna bet i will too...as much as i love my clean tone (which i attribute a lot to my old swr black beauty combo), kicking in some warm overdrive just makes some of the lines jsut kick more...if i had to get rid of everything, id hold onto my overdrive for dear life...its jsut the most useful thing ever...i feel like im rambling...but the guitarists in both bands r the cheif songwriters, so if they need me to do something special on the bass to step up or make some noise, i have the fx arsenal to do so...both guitarists tend to get a bit spaced out with ring mods and the like, so when thats going on, i either like to hold it down with an overdrive, or let my drummer step up while i add to the songs harmonic or rhythmic balance, like with some hard fast tremolo hits, or a synthy prunes and custard line, or something during solo sections where u have to stop and think if its a guitar OR a bass solo...it gets pretty interesting

i feel ocnfident that if i JUST had the overdrive, id be jsut a good a player and the music would be just as good - i even do some lounge jams jsut straight to the amp, and my guitarists (and the fans) continually remark how amazing it is that i cna make the bass sound extra funky without a filter/wah/phaser...it all in the fingers - but i've made my capability of using those effects such a part of my sound that it wouldnt be the same band without the bass coming out with something unexpected...the wow factor

i think i sufficiently rambled about that...there was some sense in there somewhere

13. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    I don't use any effects. Plug me into the PA and give me a good monitor mix and I'm good to go.

But to answer the second question (or was it the third) I don't think there is any thing wrong with being "dependent" on effects. Asking someone to play without them is like asking a B3 player to play a gig on the piano. The effects are really part of "your instrument" (for better or worse).

14. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I would be screwed... Listen to the music in my link (electro-acoustic), and then tell me if you could do it... Making solo/duo ambient music is not easy - making it without delay, reverb, and a few other would be imposible... These treads are being beatin to death...

THIS thread touched on it... Its all relevent...

Cheers

Alex

p.s. My hat goes off to you Bob, that was a delightfull comparison... Do you mind if I use that in the future?...

15. I disagree. asking a SOLO bassist to play without effects is like 'asking a B3 player to play a gig on the piano.' Because a solo bassist often needs them to spruce things up a little. I've been in many different forms of bands before I got my first effects, and all of them sounded fine, nothing wrong with them, I find that all the distortion i need from most songs can come from what my amp can already do.

For instance, one of my bands used to play alot of tool, the two songs I'll use as examples are Schism and the grudge. Both are played with effects (chorus and delay) yet my versions without the effects sounded fine. Dont get me wrong, if I HAD the effects I would have used them.

I personally dont think effects are part of your instrument. I see effects as using a ladder to get on your garage roof when you could just use the fence next to it.

I guess in a way effects could be classed with Extended range basses. In that some like em, others dont see the need for them. For instance, many songs could be played very easily on a four string, but that extra string makes it easier, and leaves more room for moving about.

Dont get me wrong, I like effects, I use em alot, but not because I NEED them, but because I want them. Again, each to his own. :) :bassist: