1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How did 2011 treat you?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Dec 31, 2011.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Overall, how did 2011 treat you? It was a pretty quiet year for me personally. Thrilled to have completed Grad School, but the job hunt is tremendously disheartening.

2. Quiet, yet busy.

Saw the shift into the (in theory) final year of my PhD. So, yeah, not a huge amount of life outside of that!

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Was ok. Promoted in my job. Accepted to grad school. But no major accomplishments.

4. BassPenguin22

BassPenguin22

Jun 5, 2010
    Ups and downs, as always.

5. Awful. Will not miss 2011.

6. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Quit my job,
    Sold my house,
    and took off for the summer on a 20,000 mile motorcycle ride across America.

made memories that I will never forget.

7. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Pretty well in total. If nothing else, I finally paid off my credit card debt; something I'd been working diligently at for several years. My band played some shows, we're recording another album, I played some volleyball, my girlfriend still tolerates me.

8. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    rough year, but i was all my fault to have faith in my fellow man. why is the planet littered with flakes?

i have dis-associated with a half dozen so-called friends that mis-used our friendship.

and may they all suffer because.... :(

9. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    I am 2011's bitch....but 2011 has at least been slightly more kind than 2010 was.

10. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Good times were to be had, and I regret nothing. Looking forward to better things happening in 2012.

11. 2011 had a high point for me. I married the woman I've been in love with for 30 years. I should have married her a long time ago, but things didn't work out right. Instead of "growing old" with her I can "grow older' with her.

12. Like a dog treats a fire hydrant.

13. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I can't believe how good this year was for me. The woman I love moved halfway across the country to live with me, got a long-awaited promotion, moved into a sweet apartment, replaced my 14-year-old car, started working on music with a friend for the first time in forever (hoping to find more musicians and then gigs in the new year), got my dream bass. Just maintaining all this in 2012 would leave me feeling very lucky.

14. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
  15. It was rough. Started out not too bad but once the earthquake and tsunami hit Japan, all hell broke loose. Since I work for a Japanese auto maker, we couldn't get parts from Japan which meant we had unpaid days off, about 2 a week for 3-4 months. Once it started getting better, we got slammed with building more than our plant could produce with it's current staff and equipment. Then, out of nowhere, Taiwan flooded which, in turn, meant we couldn't get parts AGAIN! We hung in there and now we're slammed AGAIN!

There is a plus side though. I had my 3rd child on Dec. 10th. She was 6 weeks early but doing amazing for being so early. So, from my income being nowhere close to average plus another tax write-off from the new baby girl, 2012 should financially AWESOME once tax time comes around.

16. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

For me, as always, it's all about my daughter.

For 2011, as of last night, 168 seizures. But she survived the year, and I know other parents who haven't been as lucky. She's learned to write her name and has gotten more self-sufficient in a few small ways. My wife has a really good stable job and I have a band I like. So all in all, it's been pretty good. I've seen much worse.

Nice!!

17. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    bartman, I really hope and pray that your daughter will improve this year. I've followed a few of your posts and know this is difficult for your family.

life is all about my family too. our son just had another TIA or seizure (hard to distinguish this time) this morning, he suffered greatly this past year. I am thankful for the opportunity to experience his tenacity and bravery and just try to be the best father possible for him.

keep fighting the good fight

18. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    While it feels like all the terrible stuff outweighed the good, I think overall I had more good than bad..though the bad was something I never expected and I hope to never repeat it.

19. The Good:

• Things are going quite well with the girlfriend.
    • My band has made several strides (including getting a new vocalist) to prep for a serious run in 2012.
    • Musically, I feel like this year I've written some of my best material to date.
    • Finally moved out on my own, on my 25th birthday.

The Bad:

• I went from "putting up" with my job to absolutely loathing it. I either need to quit or get promoted this next year, cause I can't last another year of this bull****. The stress isn't worth it.
    • As my expenses have shot up, I am currently not saving as much money as I should be, especially if I want to go to grad school.
    • I should have no right to complain, but after turning 25 and a combination of my soul-crushing job absolutely killing me, I no longer consider myself "young", just an increasingly bitter adult.

As you can see, what should have been theoretically a great year has also been a really crappy year as well.

20. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa

way to keep it all in perspective. i am glad to hear you feel things are going well.

for me, 2011 has been a kick @$$ year. i have had a lot of fun. too much, really. but i am still standing (tho pretty sore right now), so i guess i am doing alright. lots of gigs, lots of sex, lots of recreation. still working. my kids are healthy and moving forward. i have met plenty of great folks. i am enjoying life and it feels real good (except for lack of sleep).

bring it, 2012
    :cool: