1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how did i do for 50 bucks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jdwilliams, Sep 24, 2010.

1. jdwilliams

jdwilliams

May 16, 2010
    Las Vegas NV
    1000000106.jpg

Its a squier.. but my 1st fender product on the bass side... I gotta admit I love the way it plays..and sounds I have a peavey grind before this and I love the tone by far of this one...

Any suggestions on cheap mods to make it even better?

2. RedemptionBass

RedemptionBass

Dec 12, 2007
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Head (and only) Honcho at Redemption Bass
    Can't go wrong with a $50 P.

Why change anything if you are digging it?

I bought a 70's Japanese Cortez P for $75 a few months ago off Craigslist. I figured that it would just be a platform to do mods. They thing looks, sounds and plays so good, I haven't touched it.

3. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Inactive

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    I got a short scale SX Jazz bass, lake placid blue, for $35.

3772047126_7d08c4e907.jpg

Excellent bass, even for the money. How do they do it?

4. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    +1

Can't go wrong for $50.

Also, if you want to do mods, you better have an idea of what you want to achieve.

Random modding will most likely just waste your cash and not get you anywhere.

5. Generally the wires, pots, and jack aren't top-notch on these & that's an easy/cheap one.

6. No need to replace anything -- unless you want some new strings. "Just play yer guitar."

7. jdwilliams

jdwilliams

May 16, 2010
    Las Vegas NV
    I did change the strings with a set i had on a project bass.

Only thing id really like to change is the pickups. but, with that said the only reason I want to do that is i know the factory ones are the cheapest out there...

And in my mind I think if I get decent after market ones it will sound even better.

8. Any bass under $100 is a good bass.

9. If you wanna mod for the sake of messing around, grab a Hipshot D tuner and a Bad A$$ bridge. Cheap finds on E Bay,,,,

10. They're probably not the cheapest out there unless they're backed by a magnet across the poles. You can take them out and check. Seeing that bums me out.

11. Just play it as is until you realize what its lacking. Then look in the TB classifieds for some good parts cheap.

12. DaLoCo

DaLoCo

Jun 16, 2010
    South Africa
    I got a Hohner for $40 bucks, thought to part it out, but it also turned out a very nice player, I ripped the frets and replaced the bridge (which was bust). Gave it a new coat of white, and also painted the very worn p/ups white (will correct this, as it looks rather crap). Now it is my bass-on-the-stand, the one I grab for a quick five minutes, or to try something I heard on a cd or such.

IMAG0247.jpg

IMAG0246.jpg

Try it and play it, the old ones seem to be the ones to keep playing.

13. +1 on not modding until you have a clear idea of what (if anything) needs work.

Hanging around TB can generate a mindset that ALL inexpensive basses need a lot of $$ thrown at them, and nothing could be further from the truth.
    Until you can say with authority that part X and/or hardware Y are utter failures, just play and enjoy.
    Pick the best strings for it and then get a pro set-up.

14. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    As an aside, my first bass was a Cortez P Copy in the late 70's....

To the OP...I am always hunting for a deal like that!

15. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    True, but unless there is a reason to change, why do so? The Squier and SX stuff sounds great! If something breaks then fix it.

Saying that, I have modded every bass I have, but only one SX of the six I have owned ever got new pots and pickups. They all sound great!

16. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Inactive Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    What I like to do with finds like that (which is good) are get the body painted by someone really good in a color that you can't find normally. I had an Ibanez from the starter pack someone gave to me that I had the local autobody shop paint in Dodge Challenger orange. I added a decal of the road runner. Swapped out the pickups with an active EMG set I had sitting around. Was the coolest ever. Someone offered me $500 for it. Sold it immediately. Loved the way it looked though. Never took a picture.

For yours if you like it you will eventually wind up changing the pickup and the bridge. Maybe the pickguard.

17. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Man, you could clean out those fret lines and fill them with something solid - like white styrene - and it would look much better. Those lines are nasty-looking, but the bass looks great!

18. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    You got a good deal on a bass for $50. Start throwing in a bunch of mods and you'll increase your cost and very possibly come out with a bass that's pretty much the same as you started with. Changing out pickups, trying new hardware, or refinishing in a new color are all fun to do, though. Just be aware that you aren't likely to get dramatic results.

On the other hand, a good set up and fret level and dress, if needed, can really make a huge difference.

Anyway, congratulations on your new bass, and have fun with it!

19. T40Chump

T40Chump

Jul 12, 2008
    Plano, TX
    Someone already said it, but yeah, new strings will make a world of difference if you haven't done that yet.

New pots and wiring would be a good next step.

20. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    This.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021