How did Jaco die anyway?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by fleabass89, Feb 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

IN 1987, he tried to force himself onstage at a Santana (I think) concert and was refused. He wandered off to the Midnight Bottle Club in Wilton Manor, a suburb of Ft. Lauderdale, (I used to live close by in Boca Raton). It was members-only club and he was refused admission. A scuffle ensued and his skull was fractured. He died in the hospital from damage to his brain. If survived, it was the opinion of the doctors he would have been paralyzed on one side of his body. That's about all I know.
  2. it was really messy apparently and i dont think the santana thing and the death were the same night, i read his biography by that Jazziz writer, really good
  3. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    He might have been the world's greatest bassist, but apparantly not the world's greatest master of self defense.
  4. that almost sounds sarcastic, you better not be laughing at the death of the dude!! ohhhh no no no no!! hahaha, yeah to bad he was probably strung out when it happened to...
  5. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I would never mock death, but Jaco was in the wrong as well.
  6. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    september 11, 1987: jaco jumps on stage during a santana concert in fort lauderdale and is ushered off by stagehands that dont recognize him.

september 12, 1987: eary in teh morning, he tries to crash an after hours club and is beaten senseless. rushed to broward county medical center, where he lies in a coma

september 21, 1987: pronounced dead at 10:00 pm.
  7. Jaco was out of control due to his use of alcohol and his mania. But there is more to this unfortunate incident that deserves consideration. According to Luc Havan, a bouncer and self proclaimed martial arts expert, he pushed Jaco and he fell and bumped his head. Truth be told it was a bit more involved than a little push, stumble and head bump. Jaco's injuries were extensive and severe and the result of a savage and prolonged beating by one or more assailants. His skul was fractured and he had a subdural hematoma, meaning that his brain was bruised and bleeding inside his broken skull. Several facial bones were fractured, Both arms had fractures and he also had a dislocated shoulder. but to me the most telling injury was that his right eye was dislodged and ruptured. Luc did 2 months and got 5 years probation. We'll never know what Jaco and the world lost by his early departure. Maybe Jimi, Bonzo and Jaco are jammin' everyday.

Even this long after Jaco's death it still upsets and saddens me..
  8. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    That story is partly what makes Jaco such a legend.....
  9. TT

Feb 14, 2001
    actualy I heard from my bass teacher that At the Sanatna concert that the bouncer beat him up and went into a coma ( spelling ) and died
  10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, tt, you heard wrong.

luc havan kicked his head in at a miami club. jaco reportedly had a tendancy to incite people. he was drunk when he went to the club, and luc havan would have none of it. so he bashed his skull in, ruptured his eye, cracked his skull around his eye socket.

basically, he murdered him, and got off scot free, as the earlier poster mentioned.
  11. Yeah that really sucks.
    I know this is really off the topic, but oh well. Since I'm a metalhead and everything :D I haven't really heard much solo bass stuff...can anybody tell me the name of a Jaco CD that is his best or best for introducing his work? Basically because everyone praises him (respectively) and I wanna check him out. E-mail me if you know.
    Tanks :)
  12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    there's a song called the dry cleaner from des moines - it's a joni mitchell song off of "mingus", it's my favorite jaco song.

also, his first solo album, "jaco pastorius" has some great stuff on it, really ground breaking.

and of course there's "heavy weather" by weather report.

i'd say those three would really sum it up.
  13. The self-titled Jaco album is amazing.

No one has mentioned that jaco was a manic depressant, that may have attributed to the fight. He was nearly homeless during this period.
  14. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I heard Jaco would bust up into clubs demanding to sit in with the bands. If I was a bassist at a club and I saw Jaco walk in, I'd **** my pants and cry.
  15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, really. i think a bunch of them did.
  16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes, I think this has a lot to do with it - his daughter is also manic-depressive and believes this was inherited from Jaco, but nowadays these things are diagnosed more readily and dealt with. Doctors know how to treat the condition and what things to avoid etc.

From the Milkowski biography it seems that Jaco was pretty much OK until he started drink and drugs which made the condition much worse. Milkowski, cites the case that Joe Zawinul's heavy drinking started Jaco off - being competitive in everything, he wanted to be able to drink as much as Zawinul, who was sort of like a father figure to him as well. Once he started drinking heavily it was the start of a steady decline into self-destructive urges. Once on the road with Weather Report the supply of illegal drugs dramatically increased his rate of decline.

The sad thing is that he could have been treated - but maybe the treatment would have meant a loss of the limitless energy that gave him his creative impulse - but we'll never know.
  17. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    From what I recall of the bio, when Jaco did bust in to clubs to sit in, it was not a pleasurable experience for everyone. He would often play with heavy distortion, and play out of rhythm, purposely trying to through everyone off. Sometimes we would play entirely different songs on purpose.
  18. That was in his later "crazy" years and a big part of why a lot of his peers didn't want to play with Jaco.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.