1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How did this MIM P make it past QC?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drewfunk, Dec 8, 2011.

1. drewfunk

drewfunk

May 10, 2010
    Olympia, Wa
    Strolled into the local music shop and they had a few new Fenders in stock. My eyes immediately were drawn to this terrible job of a P bass. Check out the string alignment on the neck and pickups! It looked even worse in real life.
    LfeW8.

I dont see how something this bad could ever make it onto the showroom floor. How can you mount a bridge that far off center on a supposedly 600 dollar bass? The worst part is that i've seen it on MIMs in other stores as well. And i'll make the obligatory statement that the Classic Vibe Squiers were all beautiful! ;)

2. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    uh...there's no picture

3. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I can't see the pic....

4. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Loosen the neck screws & tug the neck straight.
    Very common with bolt on necks.

5. THAT'S how bad it is!

6. drewfunk

drewfunk

May 10, 2010
    Olympia, Wa
    Fixed the picture!

7. madmatt

madmatt

Apr 28, 2009
    You should never have to do that.

8. Uh you should have to do that , bolt on necks can shift , have you seen how UPS handles packages.

Now the store should have done it but sometimes someone has to do that , its a bolt on neck not a miracle.

9. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    With neck pockets as tight as they are on a lot of newer basses, can you really bring this thing back in alignment? Is there enough room?

10. I almost always have to do that, with bolt-on neck basses from all price points. Guitars too.

11. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    My MIM jazz has this same problem. Not so much the neck, but the pickups don't line up at ALL!

I really dislike MIMs. I think an SX is actually better.

:bag:

12. There is almost always a little wiggle room, and this is the reason. If you lock a neck into an ultra tight pocket, you had better have a perfect match and perfect alignment. A slight gap gives you the ability to set the neck in the pocket so the strings perfectly align.

13. madmatt

madmatt

Apr 28, 2009
    Maybe you can make some micro adjustments like that on a total crap bass, but I would expect better from Fender. And no amount of tugging in the World is going to bring that POS back into alignment.

14. Its a MIM fender , forgien made ( like SX) and over priced.

15. I'd bet my entire bass collection that I could bring that neck back to perfect alignment in 5 minutes or less.

Done it many times. ;)

OP, if you want to know how, just send me a PM.

16. madmatt

madmatt

Apr 28, 2009
    He didn't actually buy it from the sound of his post, he only photographed it.
    Edit: but that sounds like a helluva bet, hope he does not take you up on it!

17. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    Loosen the four neck screws and move it back to the properposition. I have to do it with my fender all the time (both US made, higher than standard series).
    In fact this neck problems are the reason why Billy Sheehan stopped using his 68 P-bass and switched to Yamaha. They are VERY common in every bolt-on bass.

18. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Agreed.

If they shift, it's because and only because the neck or the pocket (or both) is poorly cut from jump. The loosen and yank method is borne of shoddy workmanship.

If the neck pocket and neck are cut and prepped well from the beginning, no wiggle room is needed. I saw a vid not long ago where a Fender-esque bass builder whose initials are "R.S." was working with one of his assistants carefully sanding a neck pocket and neck to fit together as they should. That way, there would be no chance --none-- of ever having the trainwreck alignment you see in the OP's photo.

19. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

If you nay-sayers believe that 4 screws clamping a flat section of wood to another will not shift, where both have length and weight on the extreme ends of the joint, you have no sense of wood working nor physics of friction involved. ;) :) :) Be it fender or Sadowsky, it can happen and does. This has been discussed at length on another thread back in the spring and the op adjusted his bass in seconds.

The permanent cure for this common malady of bolt-ons is remove the neck and drop a piece of metal screen in the pocket and put the neck back on. The screen bites into the heel and pocket preventing further movement.

20. Ah, yes.

Then I'll share this with the non-cynical types who may (and eventually will) encounter this situation and want to restore their bass to perfect neck alignment:

First, make sure the saddles are in place on the bridge plate. Shifting saddles can exaggerate the appearance of misaligned strings.

Next, loosen the strings. They should have little-to-no tension on the neck, but still enough tension to make them perfectly straight. This is really important: The strings have to be straight because they are the straight edge you will use to judge alignment over the fretboard.

Now, loosen all neck bolts, maybe about half way. They need to be pretty loose, but not falling out. Firmly grab the body with one hand, the neck with the other, and shift the neck in the pocket. Re-tighten bolts. You may need to hold the neck in place while you re-tighten the bolts. Check string alignment. Repeat as necessary (you may over- or under-compensate, and it may take more than one try). Keep checking the margin between the outer strings (E and G) and the edges of the fretboard. As the neck gets closer to alignment, tighten the bolts further and further. If you leave the bolts only slightly loose, you can make micro adjustments before you do the final firm tightnening of the bolts. Do not over tighten! Firm, but you don't need to bend the plate, buckle the finish, or strip the screws.

I just bought a beautiful 70s Precision (CIJ) from A Step Towards, and its neck was slightly mis-aligned. This is an $850.00 bass. I've seen it many times on very expensive basses, and I've seen it on SX basses. It is the nature of the beast, NOT a QC issue.

They are probably taking a little extra care and time with the Squiers in the factory, or the shipping method could have something to do with it. It only takes one good bump for a neck to become mis-aligned.

EDIT: Great suggestion 96tbird