1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How did you afford equipment as a teenager?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Ottsworth, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Ottsworth

Ottsworth

Dec 14, 2010
    London, UK
    Hi,
    This is a bit of a random question, but I feel it's quite relevant to me at the moment. I'm wondering how people can afford such nice music equipment as a teenager. I'm 14 ATM and am almost completely broke. I'm usually very good at saving money, but I have just gone and blown a whole load.

New Bass + New Amp + New Mic + Assortment of Cables = Total Brokeness

Anyway I was wondering how all you guys could afford your music gear at such a young age? It seems that every other kid who decides they want to be the next big rock star suddenly has a collection of guitars/basses in their possession and it just baffles me how they pull it off.
    Just out of interest (and also for some advice) how did you guys afford nice equipment at an age like mine?
    Thanks! :)

BTW Asking my parents for money is out of the question as they just bought me a graduate model oboe which was, well, lets say it was quite pricy!!! ;)

I Need a six... likes this.
  2. Cohacq

Cohacq

May 14, 2010
    I am/was in the same situation myself. A friend of mine simply saved pretty much all the money he got every month, and was because of that able to buy nice stuff here and there. Myself, i spent it on other things and was stuck with my cheap Epiphone EB-3 ^^.

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Get a job or sell the oboe

4. 8liter

8liter

Apr 30, 2009
    Worked. That is how I did and still get all my equipment. Maybe it is just me, but I feel the equipment performs better when I spend my own hard earned money on it :smug:

You're only 14, so don't think big right now. Most people obtain nice equipment over a period of time.

My first bass equipment was a starter Ibanez package (best starter bass ever, btw) and then I slowly started getting better amps, basses and all the necessary do-dads as I went along.

Now at 22, I have what some would some consider a pretty snazzy collection of equipment. GK amps, a nice vintage bass and some mid range newer models that cover all my playing needs, good cables and effects boards.

Most of that was acquired before I went to college :spit: Your equipment gathering will slow down a bit if you take that route.

Good luck, dude! Just take your time and start small.

EDIT: Make sure you shop for deals! TB can be a awesome way to gather equipment! I just bought a used vintage bass on here last week for 250 bucks and, I kid you not, it is one of the best instruments I have ever played.

MonetBass and Dug2 like this.
  5. Young kids + really nice gear = rich parents, in my experience.

Ran into a band of 16/17 year old kids not too long ago, and the bass player was playing an EBMM with an ampeg cl and an ampeg 6x10. I struck up conversation with him, and he said his parents got him his whole rig for his birthday.

Me? When i was playing bass then i had a pawnshop find of a MIM jazz bass, and a crate head and 4x10. My whole rig was about 400$, and i scrimped and saved for a long time to get that.

Damn whippersnappers.

6. WhoSeyes

WhoSeyes

Aug 18, 2008
    Barcelona.
    If your family can't give it to you and you can't find a partime job, try to get all the juice from your current equipment.

You don't need a bunch of basses or amps or stompboxes right now. Maybe you could afford a multifx (won't sound marvellous on recordings, but will be enough for most gigs).

If you want to be the next big rock star, focus on improving your skills and charisma!

7. Muzoid

Muzoid

Feb 12, 2011
    Canada!
    Mooch.

:)

8. Being 18 right now, I must say I have pretty nice gear. I have my Hartke Stack (HA2500, VX410, and HX410) and 6 basses, all under $550. As soon as I get money from my new job, it will all be blown on one of the new Hartke Kilos and a Rickenbacker 4003. All the stuff I have now is all money from birthdays and Chritmas. So yes, I am fairly spoiled, but at least I play about 2-3 hours a day.

Dug2 likes this.
  9. Ottsworth

Ottsworth

Dec 14, 2010
    London, UK
    I go to the Royal College of Music junior department on saturdays studying Oboe, Recording and Singing. Selling the oboe is not gonna happen ... :p Sundays my only free day and it's for homework so i have no time to work, if i worked the weekday i'd have no time for my mid-week homework.

lifes a ****.

Well I'm definitely from a mildly well off family, but most of my bass stuff is either second hand/made in [insert poor asian country]/on sale when i bought it... :D

10. lavmonga

lavmonga Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    I had cheap gear, worked, and asked for guitar center gift certificates for Christmas/Bday etc...

11. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Started a serious paper route when I was 13. By serious, I mean getting up 7 days a week at 4am. Folding and banding (bagging when raining) the L.A. Times, which was huge. Threw them from my bicycle after riding 3 miles just to get to my route. Got home by 8am, giving me time to shower and eat, and go to school. Had to go collect door to door every month, as there were no mail-in payments then. That took an entire weekend, sometimes two. Did that for 3 years, buying my own clothes from the start of the job. After the 3 years, I bought my first car ('57 Chevy) and my own insurance. Didn't play music then, but if I needed gear, I would have figured out a way to do it.

12. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Today kids ask mom and dad, who will fork over the dough (if they can). When I was a teen (started at age 15 back in the late 60's) I had a part-time job. I worked 5 nights and Sunday mornings in a small grocery store. I bought my clothes, paid for my car expenses, dates, and whatever. Never asked mom and dad for a nickel (they didn't have any to spare, anyway). My gear was merely adequate ... which was fine with me. Yeah, friends had much better stuff ... but I'm still playing 42 years later, and they gave it up before they were 21.

JollySpudd likes this.
  13. CBRXJ

CBRXJ

Jul 31, 2010
    Apple Valley Ca.
    WORK WORK WORK...Paper route, mowed lawns, cleaned pools..But I'm a little confused. I't sounds like you already got your stuff

"New Bass + New Amp + New Mic + Assortment of Cables = Total Brokeness" So How did you do it?

14. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Jan 21, 2011
    YYZ
    After much begging & household chores, my dad bought me my first bass when I was around 14 - a Japanese P bass copy - and a crappy amp...

I worked every summer & when I was 16 bought a used Traynor combo...

My second bass didn't come along until I was 19 (working summers)

Somehow I didn't need much back then & the few gigs I played payed out in beer & about 100 bucks to split amongst a 4 or 5 piece band...

I thought I saved up for my dream bass when I was 22 - a Warwick Dolphin Pro - and I was done... or was I?

after a long hiatus, the internet was invented - now were all screwed!!!

I ebayed my 4th bass when I was about 35 - my first 5 string...

Now I'm 41 & have too many basses...

I guess the moral of the story is - have fun, work hard, play what ya got & don't worry about the rest...

Actually, I don't know what the heck the moral of the story is...

15. CultofJay

CultofJay

May 3, 2010
    NE Indiana
    When I started playing at 15 I only had one guitar and a practice amp for, what seemed like, the longest time. It wasn't until I had a job that I was able to get the kind of gear that I wanted (and could afford). Talk to your parents about helping you get a work permit if you want to have some cash for gear.

16. CBRXJ

CBRXJ

Jul 31, 2010
    Apple Valley Ca.
    My twin bro made his money selling flowers and those silly roach clip flower things back in the early eighties...on the street corners.

17. jet_king

jet_king

Jul 31, 2009
    Chicago,IL
    AGREED

18. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    washing dishes

19. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    bought used gear and flipped it.
    not much has changed.

20. Ottsworth

Ottsworth

Dec 14, 2010
    London, UK
    Wow, that makes me feel so lucky! There is a paper round job near me, however it would mean I finish at 9AM and school starts at 8:20am (which means you must arrive 20 mins earlier). also i have no bike ;)
    but wow, that's impressive! I certainly wouldn't have the determination to keep it up, so good on you for being able to!

WORK WORK WORK...Paper route, mowed lawns, cleaned pools..But I'm a little confused. I't sounds like you already got your stuff

I have already got my stuff ... I'm feeling the aftershocks of brokeness ATM. I'm just wondering how everyone else pulled through this phase :)

I managed to do it by helping my granddad out with computer problems. He would insist on paying me afterwards (at first I was shocked, but i soon grew to expect a reward :D mean of me i know) and it soon added up.

plus birthday money. I don't touch my birthday money until I have my heart set on something.