1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How did you afford your first bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by josiah goldfish, Jan 25, 2012.

1. I everyone
    I've been looking to buy my first db, and I'm considering buying a thomann one.
    1) how did you afford your first bass
    2) are thomanns any good?

2. pnchad

pnchad

Nov 3, 2005
    I know it seems impossible but if you can find a temporary solution, I.e. Renting, have patience.

The ply basses at $3k can be nice but many have located older rougher basses for <$1k and then invest in repairs/setup.

I have 2 DBs right now, paid $700 $ $850 respectively, put time & another $1k into them.

They are worth $5 - $8k each now!

3. off-topic

off-topic

Nov 5, 2003
    Tel Aviv
    I was looking for a first bass for my son and was offered a really good deal - $1,700 for a 1960 Romanian bass, fully carved, in good condition. It was worth at least twice what I paid. I guess I was just lucky, it was the first bass I looked at so my search was about one hour long.

4. My first upright was a stick bass, a short time after my parents had given me access to my ISA/Savings account that they had been making me put money into for years as a kid. That didn't last long, it was an impulse buy but one that was just waiting to happen ever since I was a kid!

I just walked past a music shop, saw it in the window and owned it about 10 minutes later!

That sounds all rather privilaged, but it really wasn't a lot and wasn't a great bass, but it got me started. When it died a death I got a cheap as chips acoustic, by that time I was working but also young and happy with living in squalor so I just splashed half a months earnings and just ate pasta. I was so much more willing to do that those days, I'd be playing a vuillaume if I could do that now. maybe.

As for Thomanns being any good, I've not used one named straight up as a Thomann, but they seem to be a strong European supplier of Strunal basses, I played one of those and thought it was very good for the money!

5. I afforded my bass from my bank account. I don't charge things 1000s of dollars. I looked at a lot in my price range, played a lot of different ones and bought one. Looking for a used one was a part of the criteria too. I found a used bass for what I wanted to spend and ├╝ber happy.:)

They can be really expensive! I played some many times my budget to get a barometer of what a super nice one sounded and played like.