Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How did you afford your setup?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Cambass, May 11, 2001.

1. I ask this because bass gear (and music gear in general) seems to be really expensive. I was looking in a music shop and a head cost $1500 (Australian $$) and the cabinet (?> Speakers?) cost over $1000. For someone like me without any major income this is way out of my price range. What about you? Did you buy new or secondhand? Did you get a loan or were you fortunate enough to have enough cash to get the right gear?

2. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Some I saved for. Some I had financed. Some I made trades for or sold other stuff to get the $$.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

All the gear I currently use and previous stuff apart from one cabinet, has been bought using interest-free credit.

Both Overwater and the Bass Centre in the UK will give you 2 years 0% credit and I can see no reason not to take advantage of this.

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I bought used. If you go through a music store for used but you'll pay more. The only risk is you don't know how the equipment was treated.

(Homer voice on)
    Hmm 0% interest. No wife.
    (Homer voice off)

6. First bass was a birthday present from mom and dad. (Vantage P-Bass copy)

First amp was bought half with my alowance and half by my dad. (Fender Squire 15B)

Second amp was bought with summer job money (used Ampeg B2 combo)

Second bass was a christmas present 2 years after the first bass. (Fender MIM Jazz 5)

Current amp was a graduation present (Carvin R1000, Carvin 4x10 cabinet, Carvin 1x18 cabinet.......sold the 1x18 cause it was too muddy)

Current bass was bought from a local store where I knew the owner and got a good deal. (Dean Edge 6 string)

Miscelaneous rack gear was birthday and christmas presents from relatives. (Korg DTR-2, Samson UHF Synth 32 Wireless, Furman PL-Plus Power Conditioner)

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I pay for gear through my gigs.

8. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I bought my first (crappy) gear with summer jobs and a lot of savings (man, it was hard to let the boys go nightclubbing and to stay at home and watch TV).

Then I worked hard in school to get a good job.

And now, the main problem to add stuff to my rig is not money (though I can not afford really expensive stuff) but convincing my wife ;)

So, work hard on your W.A.F (Wife Acceptance Factor) or H.A.C (Husband Acceptance Factor) or WYSLI.A.C (Whatever your sex life is Acceptance Factor).
    ;)

9. I got my first bass (Squire Bronco) from my dad for my birthday, then I got my first and current amp by saving from my summer job. Then I saved up for my second bass (Yamaha RBX260F) from working part time all year. Now I'm saving up for my third bass (MIM Fender Jazz) by saving from my part time job, and selling my Squire and a guitar I have. I hate saving money.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    As I've said elsewhwere, I've worked in the same business for 30+ years. That much experience in science and engineering is something for which people will pay a lot of money. I earn the money, and use it to support my habit.

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    gigs, man, gigs