Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How did you all decide to become bassists?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BillyBishop, Feb 8, 2001.

1. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    Lets hear some stories.

Me personnaly, I was a guitar player. I wandered into the school music room to see what my friend was doing, He was always hanging out in there. He was strumming away on his acoustic guitar. THere was a bass guitar sitting beside him. I picked it up and started playing. The first thing that I noticed was the huge strings. I started playing and it was the coolest thing ever. WHen I stood up my knees were shaking it was so much fun. So I sold my 3 guitars and got some basses.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I started on drums, and became interested in bass when my best friend took it up. We played in church together.

He missed a lot, and I started messing around with bass when he wasn't there.

He finally quit coming altogether, and I have been on bass ever since.

3. I_Dream_Of_Bass

I_Dream_Of_Bass

Feb 8, 2001
    I started playing g****r and then found it a little stale. So I played drums for a while. Drums are a lot of fun, but way too expensive and way to much to lug to rehearsal. So I went back to g****r. Eventually some of the people that I knew needed bass players to jam with, so I decided to give that a try. From the first day I started playing the bass, I realized that was the best instrument for me. I could do everything that I wanted to do from solo's to rythm to accenting the drums. The only limits that I have with the bass now are the ones that I can't see through.

4. Huna Funk

Huna Funk

Dec 5, 2000
    My three best childhood friends. Two played guitar, one played drums, I didn't have much choice if I wanted to continue to hang out with them :)

5. I messed around with the g****r for years, but never played in a band. I got to be friends with a couple of guys at work who played the drums and g****r. They talked me into trying out the bass, I fell in love. We started a band, there's 4 of us now and I'm still in love with the bass.

[Edited by BDC on 02-09-2001 at 09:11 AM]

6. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Well, I'd been trying to learn the evil 6 string beast (No, not a Conklin! :D) without much success, as I'd been looking to form a band. One day, I saw someone in my class at school (I was only 14 at the time. Seems so long ago...) with pages full of guitar chords, and asked him where he got them.

He told me that he had got them off one of his friends, and to ask him. I asked this dispenser of chords, and he told me he was forming a band, and then asked if I could play bass. "Well, I could learn" was my reply. Two minutes later, I was in a band. The rest is history...

7. Like many of the others, I took to guitar as a teen, thinking it quite the cool instrument to play Rush and Def Leppard! It'll be EASY! After a year of classical lessons, decided I just wasn't quite making the connection. Play drums in high school some, and that was better, but still not quite right for me. Fun as hell, though :D

Then I moved out on my own and tried a Rick 4003, and that was it. We just synched up quick, the connection is there, and here I am :).

8. I started out on an acoustic guitar, and I tried learning it, but I really didn't like the jangly, high-pitchedness(?) of guitars, so I just stopped playing. I didn't even know what a bass was. But then my friend who had been playing guitar for 7 years asked me why I stopped, and I told him, and he said to try bass, and I havn't had this much fun with an instrument ever!

I still can't believe how TERRIBLE I was back then... Seems like a decade ago. Oh yea, I started bass about 2 years ago.

9. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Thought that the low notes sounded cool. My dad made me wait a year before he bought me one for christmas in 97. thats all.

10. True story: last year I played gxitar in my old band. But the drummer and bassist (brothers) both quit (to make a LONG story short). We already had a new drummer to fill the slot, but no bassist. So I said fxck it, I'll just play bass, it would be way easier. I immediately fell in love with bass. I've actually only been playing bass like a year, but I've played it (and still am) playing it so often that I'm learning shxt like THAT *snaps fingers*. Sorry if I'm bragging, I just think I have an ear for muse-sick.

11. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    Cliff Burton. The only reason I play bass.

12. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I never had much a desire to play guitar, but a lot of my friends have been bass players so I was always exposed to it. A lot of my non-bass playing friends tried to get me to take up guitar, but I just wasn't feeling it. I love the sound of bass - of all the songs that I know, no matter how many times that I've heard them, the only thing that I can remember is the bass part (well, maybe a bit of the guitar part if it's exceptionally cool, otherwise nothing). So I got my jazz band teacher to get me started and have been holding down the low-end ever since.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Played trumpet (for almost ever), noticed while in my first band the bass player was having trouble figuring out songs. Just from watching him I could tell where he needed to go and what he needed to play. It just seemed so obvious it was crazy.

For me bass just made sense. I had the mechanics of brass instruments down, could play relatively difficult stuff but it never made sense to me. Bass did. I made the switch.

14. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I used to write lyrics,inspired by Steve Harris.So,I wanted to play an instrument so that I can turn these lyrics into songs.I wasn't allowed to play drums by my mother:) so it was either guitar or bass.My parents preferred guitar,but I was leaning towards bass...there are far too many guitarists out there,y'know.So when I saw Iron Maiden live for the first time,with Steve Harris above me,with his sweat dropping on my face,well the choice had been done;)

15. Got bored playing violin and guitar. I feel the bass. I am the bass.

16. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    1970 I started to play trumpet. My freinds took me to play at the Salvation Army. As years passed, we started jamming on all the instruments that always lay around on the platform. Very soon I figured out that the double bass was most to my liking, though I played guitar and some mandolin as well. A few years later I moved to a place where there were no brass band. There were choires though, and I finally found a bass that suited me (fretless!) and started backing a choire.
    Then I had to move again, and there were no openings as a bassman either... I ended up selling my gear ten years ago.
    I moved again, and stumbled on a need for a bass! So, I borrowed a simple thing - and - I'M BACK!!!!!:D)

17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I heard Jack Bruce playing on "Wheels of Fire" over a good stereo system. In those days most of us owned "record players" with tiny little speakers and I had never really heard a bass in all it's glory.

18. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I always wanted to play music (since 4 or 5 years old, no kidding) but my parents never had the opportunity nor the money to satisfy my envy.
    Around 13/14 years old, I started to listen to bands like Iron Maiden and really loved the Steve Harris style so it convinced me to try bass. Plus too much guitarist/ keyboardist/drummer wannabes. Plus I'm rather tall and large so any other instrument than bass (or double bass) would have look like a ukululele in my hands ;)
    At 16, after 2 years of family "guerilla", I had my first axe.
    I'm 29 now and still playing, learning and loving it.

19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Two words:

Geddy

and

Lee

:D

I actually started on the evil little brother as well myself, but I always wanted to play the bass. I just happened to have a guitar in the house already when I first wanted to start, and couldn't convince the parents to spring for a bass. After that, inertia kept me on the little strings for 13 years, until one day, at the age of 30, I finally said "Screw this!" sold my amps and most of my guitars. Bought my first bass (which is still my primary one), and the rest is history! :cool:

20. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    it was a cold Christmas morning in 1984 when I woke up to find a drum set (in boxes) under the tree. i had wanted to play forever but never had the oppurtunity until then.

i practiced and played nearly every day until about Spring 2000. I played in several bands, did several recordings and did several gigs. In early 1992 it started to hurt my hands to play. But I continued on, against the wishes of several doctors until last year when I could barely hold a stick.

I bought a Memphis P-bass from a buddy of mine in May 2000 just to see if I could do anything with it. To my own suprise, I could. Not long after, I sold my drums (it was mentally harder to do that than to get my divorce!).

To answer your question, I play bass because I can no longer play drums. :(:):D