Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How did you and your (insert significant other title here) meet?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Let's hear it! I'm not in a relationship at the moment, but the story of my parents meeting is one of romance and magic.

My dad was on shore leave with his friends (navy man at the time) and my mom was with her friends. They met at a bar! :D He's now air force, and she's an elementary school teacher. As they say, the rest is history.

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Mutual friends.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Shared a common friend. He introduced.

4. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    me and my ex met right here on talkbass. how cute.
    except he was a sociopath :p

he knew a damn lot about effects though.

5. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Met my girlfriend at a jam session at my drummers. She was there for him, but I changed her mind real quick :D

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    A friend dragged my wife to a party I was at to try and set her up with this guy for a medical school formal. That guy wasn't there (he already had a girlfriend anyway) and I was. I was kicking around a soccer ball and hit her with it. I said "Sorry" and introduced myself. It was all accidental I'm sure... ;)

brad cook

7. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    You knocked her out, didn't you? :p

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well, she IS a knockout but I didn't knock her out.

brad cook

9. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    And here I thought it ould be such a nice way to meet people :p

10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Well, let's see. In my late 20s I decided to take German at a local community college. Kelly, my wife, was dating a guy from Germany and took the same class. First day of class, she sat down next to me and we were instant friends. Well, we didn't hook up because she had a boyfriend.

Several months later, Kelly calls me and asks me out to lunch. She had broken up with her boyfriend and wanted to get together with me. We had lunch together but at that time I was seeing someone. So, again we didn't get together.

Several months later, I broke up with my girlfriend. So, this time I call Kelly and ask her out.

The rest is history. We've been married for 12 years now.

11. That is soooo Hollywood ;)

I met my girlfriend Rebecca through a friend of mine, who was Rebecca's cousin. I was talking to the friend on the phone, but she had to go do something, so she put me on to Rebecca while she was gone. We started talking straight away, and Rebecca wouldn't give my friend the phone back when she returned! :smug:

2 years later, all is still good...

12. I was introduced to my wife by a mutual friend

13. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Basically another mutual friend thing.

I was hanging at a friends place after getting off of work and she stopped by on her way home from work to ask my friend to pick her up a pack of smokes because she'd left her ID at home. She came in to the room with about 8 of us guys hanging out smoking and drinking beer. She looked around and when she looked at me I thought maybe she was offended that I was rolling one up, or maybe she was giving me "the look".

She left with our mutual friend and as soon as the door shut behind them all of the other guys started in with telling me how she was checking me out and how she obviously had it for me and how she was so hot and if I didn't try to get with her they'd kick my butt and all of that usual guy stuff. I was just real smug about it with them and when my buddy got back from buying her smokes he said he needed to speak with me privately (I don't know why it had to be private) and he took me out in the hall and then he told me that she had asked about me and was interested in me and that she had wanted him to encourage me to come along with everybody to a Rainbow Gathering that we had all intended to attend in a couple of weeks. (she didn't know that I was already invited and already planning on going)

The very next day, I was at the same friends house at about the same time and she stopped by again and we had our first formal meeting (I'm sure we were both there hoping the other would show up and we both did) We took off together to go and get some dinner together and get to know each other.

We went to a party together that night or the next night and within the first few days we were seeing each other everyday. By the time we went to the Rainbow Gathering we had talked about, we shared a tent as we were already acting like a couple and it wouldn't be the first night we'd spent together. The rest of the story gets a little boring with two people, a bag, a bong and 5 doses of acid in a tent conceiving a child, but 10 years and 3 break-up and get-back-togethers later we're still here. Now, how's that for romantic!

14. Man I was in such a terrible mood, today has been a horrible day. All these nice romance threads are making me feel so much better, thanks lads! I loves ye all!

:crying: <--- happy crying

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Too many words man... give us a 3 sentence summary or something.

brad cook

16. Well accually...

I was at the school during this really big thundastorm, I had lost my key, missed the bus, my phone was out of batteries, everything that could go wrong, went wrong.

so up comes riley, he forgot his math book. Im sitting there, waiting for my parents to come home and for them to realize their sweet little daughter is missing.

So hes like "ur makeup is running"

and I said "gee thanks...I better go fix it, good thing they had a big waterproof mirror over there"

and he said "shut up, i was trying to be nice"

and i said "i know..."

he said "want me to walk you home?"

and i said "no key."

and he said "want to go to my house? my moms baking cookies"

and i said "sure"

so i went to his house and called my mom and she picked me out like, 3 hours later. After me n riley decided what movie we wanted to see the next day. :smug:

17. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Mine was greaving(sp) the loss of her fiancee when I met her. I introduced my girlfriend at the time to her (my girl at the time and I met her at the same time). When we broke up (a month later) I started to spend more time at the store she worked at. her boyfriends family owned the store and I was good friends with his family, although I never met him. He met her in alabama while driving tractor trailer and took her on the road with him after awhile. He taught her how to drive truck and they became a team. They where together 2 year's when while on a stopover in New York he was hospitalized with chest pains. Sorry to say he past and I met her a month later. She had no friends here and was staying with his family because she didn't want to go back to Alabama. Well I kept talking to her, asking her out (movies, dinner) and she turned me down for month's. She told me she didn't want a relationship and wanted to go to school. I told her "year, yeah" and ended up with what is been my best friend, lover, confidant, partner in life, soulmate, ace boon koon rocket to the moon! We never fight or argue either! It has been 6 years so far and I love her more everyday. She calls me from work just to say she loves me! she buy's me basses, amp's, effect's and what ever else I want! But of corse that is a 2 way street, I'll give her anything she want's and be happy to do it!

Oh by the way, that school thing?
    she now has a degree in bussiness mngt!
    She also thanked me 3 month's after we where together for not listening to her and knowing what she needed more than what she wanted! Then she gave me the key's to her new car!
    Today I take care of both!

18. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

Dangit Brad, don't you know I'm bored over here. ;)

Okay - I'll edit it down to 2 words:

Mutual friends

19. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hmm, I like this thread :)

I´m single now, but I met my ex through my friend who´s my drummer. She´s his sister, it was all cool and we were together for 4 1/2 years.

Anyways, not exactly mutual "friends", but to cut it down to a couple of words:
    My friends sister!

There ya go!

20. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I was working at a local Bagel Store/Deli (Cropsey Bagels in Brooklyn, NY). I remember this very beautiful woman occasionally coming in and buying Cigs & Coffee (Best Coffe in NYC. :)) & I had a GF so I thought nothing of it except to admire her beauty from afar.

One thing let to another & I became single. One day she came in & I was my normal flirty self & we started talking. Her sister & cousin had taken her out for her Birthday & I wished her a happy birthday & asked her her age. :)

She told me her age & I was suprised. She DEFINITELY looked ALOT younger (and still does). I didn't think I had a chance. I told her my age & she flirtingly called me a "BABY". :( She left & I was a little upset becasue of the age difference.

The next weekend or so, she comes back in. We say hello with some friendly flirting. The store is pretty full so as I finish taking her order, so I just ask, thinking I'm gonna get shot down, "Would you like to go out to Dinner sometime?" Expecting this beautiful woman to say, "Sorry, I already have a Boyfreind," she said "YES!!!!!" We excahanged numbers & Left. A lady that was in line joking said are you done with your dating service & I said "You're jealous I didn't ask you out" & every one laughed.

Now we're happily married for 7 years, live in Staten Island NY & have 2 beautiful children (no thanks to my ugly butt. ;))