Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Did You Choose Your Bartolinis???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rickbass, Apr 26, 2001.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Trying to select the "right" Bartos has been frustrating. About all I've seen at their website in terms of description is "deeper, bright, brighter, brightest." kingbass.com, Bass Player, and Matt Pulcinella's sites only describe their impressions of selected models. Their catalog has way more and I didn't see any comparitive info about their onboards, (e.g., the NMTB).

If you have bought or considered buying Bartos, how did you decide which models work for you?

Thanks in advance!

2. rickbass

The old college try.

3. I've just ordered a Bart 9wJ4L or somethin. I hear your frustration. In my case, I am ordering a custom made 4 string fretless. I have put into consideration the sound I want from the wood combinations, and etc. Therefore, from the vague description in Bart's homepage, I chose what is "proper" and applicable IMO to what I want. The PU is chose is for fretless......that's about it.

regarding electronics I chose the regular stuff...volume, blend, treble, and bass

4. rickbass

arvi - Thanks. So, it looks like you just rolled the dice.

I know Seymour Duncan mentions you can return theirs if you find they aren't what you hoped for. But, I wouldn't care to risk the prospect of paying someone to install them, then gut it if I found out they didn't get the tones, and take the chance all over again with replacements!!! :rolleyes: Being in Indonesia, you're REALLY rolling the dice! I hope it works out for you.

I started talking to Bass Northwest yesterday and they seem willing to help.

5. Actually I'm buying it from bass northwest. I used to live in Vancouver BC, and bought all of my basses from Bassnw. I asked my friend to get it for me, with Chad's(owner of bassnw) opinion hopefully. I'm assuming it's going to work; have no other choice:) Interms of risks? Dont care about it....it'll HAVE to work! hehe:)

6. Ketch27

Ketch27

May 4, 2001
    IL
    Mine came with my bass. How cool is that?

7. rickbass

arvid - Well, you can afford to. You have that "enchanted luthier" guy who builds Carl Thompson knockoffs with exotic woods for $150. You don't like the sound? You can have another bass built without selling a kidney!

If I lived in Indonesia, I might have a bass with each model of Barts. But, once my bass is built, I think there's no going back unless I pay dearly.

8. I'm blessed huh?? :) But seriously, being in Indonesia, I have no other choice other than to accept what it's going to sound; that's the risk i have to take. Cause I can't change the electronics like most of you guys would. First of all, PU cost more than the bass, so getting a bass made is indeed cheap, but the choice of electronics are limited, and the accesories(PU, tuning peg, etc) price here in Indonesia is slightly more expensive.

BTW I'm getting Macassar ebony for fingerboard for FREE!!! A friend of mine(wood exporter) have 1 laying around in his office and he decided to give it to me. I'm dead serious, I'll post the pic soon!! And also, I found out that Koa is not exclusively found in Hawaii, it's also found here in the island of JAVA. And they're found wild in the forest.

9. rickbass

Too bad about the pickups/preamp situation in Indonesia :( I sent an email to Bill at Bartolini today asking him how in the wide world of sports are people supposed to decide which products best suit their needs. "Bright/Brighter/Brightest........" uh, could you be a bit more vague, please? :rolleyes: At least EMG. Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio send you info with pictures.

Anyway, one advantage of your home - you guys can treat exotic woods like used kitty litter :D

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Oo oo! I know this one!:D

I played them on a buttload of Pedullas, and a coupla souped up Fenders,, not to mention some other random basses. They always sounded absolutly stellar, so when It came time for me to take the plunge and get a new bass, I decided that Barts are gonna be it for me. Never was impressed by EMGs, Duncans, never did get a shot at some Lane Pores...:(...but Barts are my weapons of choice. Not to mention, the Bart Preamp (HR- 5.3)...

11. Rick, so what did Bart say? Any plans on improvements?

I was wondering about exotic wood earlier. Yes we are rich with exotic wood, but even that, it's really hard to get stuff like "flame"/ "burl" and etc on any wood here. Even Macassar Ebony for example is hard. Infact they're protected by the Indonesian government. But how the heck did it get to be on some US/International guitar manufacturer's product? I mean the stuff are protected by LAW, and it is obtain illegally obviously, but considering the huge publicity of basses/guitars, those wood are still being showed publicly and openly...how ironic! I'm just wondering, don't get me wrong, I enjoy real exotic wood:)

12. rickbass

arvid - Bartolini has yet to reply. I got an email from a luthier today in which he said the Bartolini guy for the eastern coast of the U.S said they have about everything they ever made listed at their site, even if they NO LONGER MAKE IT!!! What a mess :rolleyes:

Some of the protected wood you see on new instruments is from old stock that someone discovered laying around in some forgotten part of a warehouse. Many luthiers will stash it like rare vintages of wine and charge big money for an instrument made with it. There is also another company that is working along with conservationists to retrieve logs that dropped into the Amazon river from logging boats many years ago when loggers just mowed down rain forests and didn't care if the wood was wasted into the river. The same sort of thing is going on in the U.S. Great Lakes.

When you can find tone woods from old growth trees, you're lucky. The trees naturally grew farther apart in the wild, were able to grow bigger, and the rings/grains are wider, which makes for better tone. The newer stuff that gets planted together like flowers and harvested before it gets too big has smaller rings/grains, and, less desireable tonal qualities.

13. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    The previous owner of my 5er BassCollection choose for me ;)
    And apparentely, he made th eright choice since they (2 soapbars) sound really nice.
    But I share your concern Rick, Bart's offer is too wide and too poorly documented to choose without any doubts.
    As for asking a tech in a store, I would be very cautious, because those guys are often not more informed that we are but pretend to, because they are "the sales guys".

14. rickbass

NJXT - Glad your risk-taking turned out happily. Some makes, like Seymour Duncan, will take them back if the ones you selected don't deliver what you expected. But I don't see any such offer at Bartolini. Some luthiers will do this as well.

I've looked into some of the pickups you have available in France and the rest of Europe...Very nice, on paper at least, like one named Hotrails, (I think). Germany seems to have some very interesting pickup manufacturers. Unfortunately, you don't see them offered in the USA, OR, if they are offered, they are priced way over the American competition, (just like in Europe, only in reverse).

For instance, I was interested in this nice preamp made in England by a guy named Evans. By the time all the import cost factors were figured in, it costs almost TWICE as much as a Bartolini; $250USD vs. $138USD....C'est dommage :rolleyes:

15. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Rick -
    Yes, we have here some different (from the US markets) pups available but most of the musicians and techs I know choose some well known brands such as Bartolini, EMG, Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio.
    I believe that luthiers take more risks (or experiment more) by choosing less common brands but it's so difficult to find someone that really knows an extanded range of pups, that I would stay with common, famous brands.

About "HotRail" : I believe it's a pup model for guitar by Seymour Duncan, isn't it ?

16. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Rick - Back to the original question :
    Are you looking for Bartolini's Js or any type ?
    Because I've been looking to the Js for my new (but yet customizable ;) ) MIM JB and I'm confused by the 3 or 4 different model available : 9K, 9J, 9SU, 9W ...
    :(

17. rickbass

Thanks, Nathanael. My mistake - the pickup was "Hotwires," (German).

I wish I was after a J. Those would be easy. Bass Player's website has a J pickup shootout that pretty much closes the book for me. It is really excellent. I'm after a soapbar and an MM - Barto makes a few of each.

18. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    rickbass1 if you ever findout PLEASE let me know!! i have been looking for a while now

19. rickbass

No, you're going to swing in the breeze, just like me... ;)

Actually, I'll exhaust whatever resources I haven't already and let you know when the bass is completed. The luthier is a fan of Bartolinis, and I'm sure he's seen a lot of what's out there.

20. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    So, the pup choice is for a new bass build from scratch by a luthier ???
    Tell us more, please (I'm dribbling ;)

And thx for the tip about the bassplayer shoutout.