Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How did you come about the knowledge you have?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sojhen, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Alright, I know nothing in regards to moding a bass guitar. I know nothing virtually about bass guitar at all.. All I do is noodle.... So I ask "How did you learn all that you know?..." What books, threads, people, etc.. helped you.?. And what would possibly help me.. It's not as if there's a mechanic-style guidebook designed to help someone work on their bass and understand the ins-&-outs.. (or is there..?) I don't want to be someone who plays the bass but does'nt "KNOW" the bass... Do any of you have any suggestions? I'm eager to learn I just don't know where to look... I would be so thanksful if some of you could point me in the right direction thanks for you time. :eyebrow: :crying: :bawl: :confused: :(

PS: And if any mods see this and believe it would be better suited in a different forum please move it.. I want as much help as I can get TY

2. hey man, no worries - we've been there!

To learn more about theory regarding playing, the General Instruction forum is the best place to be - at the top of the forum there is a stickied thread with links to useful websites/threads and a list of good instructional books. :)

regarding equipment.. the best thing to do is get out into the shops and have a noodle around - search the forums for stuff like "my first amp" etc.. theres plenty to be foiund out.:)

hope this helps a little! :cool:
    keep on rockin!

3. yup - its a proven fact in this world, when not much else is.

we all start as noobs.

my advice would be - learn where the notes are on your bass, all along the fretboard. it can take some time to get aquainted with, but its worth it.

then play along to your favourite albums and get your ear in tune.

after that, get some solid theory behind you - you really don't need to learn modes and transpositions, just the basic mathematical structure of music, its not that hard if you take it step by step.

this will lead to you having a "feel" for what you play, and then you are off into the world of bass magic.

good luck ;)

4. Seriously, EVERYTHING I know about playing bass and bass related equipment I learned from reading posts on this forum. I must have spent a year or two rarely posting and just reading. There was so much to learn...and there still is.

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I've been taking non-stop lessons from a music major for about 4 years. I also listen to music just about every waking hour of the day. I also watch DVD's of my favorite musicians so I can learn their techniques. Chord charts are your friend as well; go down to Wal-mart and buy a chord chart poster. Just drill in your brain what notes are in a diminished chord, minor, augmented, and major chords and you'll be able to improv real good.

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    The best way to learn about anything is to get somebody who knows more about it than you do to help you understand it.
    Get a teacher. Not just somebody who's going to show how to play what they know on the instrument, but somebody who is going to give you a good grounding in the fundamentals of music.

7. "How did you come about the knowledge you have?"

A long struggle of trial and error, making mistakes and attempting correct them.

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Are you talking about musical knowledge or setup knowledge (how to adjust intonation, how to tweak the action, how to install new pickups, etc). I think most answers are aiming towards the first but, carefully rereading your opening post, I'm wondering if the second is what you're really after (in which case, the setup forum would probably be a better place for this!).

Wulf

9. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Experience, trial and error, reading, learning, striving to obtain more knowledge of a topic, etc.

I have 28 years of experience with playing music/bass. Everyone starts at square one, but it's up to the individual what you want to get out of it ("it" being anything in life).