Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How did you come to know the bass builder or maker that you now play?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 25, 2004.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

In the mid 1990's i was seeing more of the Jazz players in my area playing Sadowsky's but it wasent untill Jason Newsted formely of Metallica ( My Favorite Band :bassist: ) picked them up that i started to pay more attention to them.Thats what prompted me to try one and since then i have had a great appreciation for them and got my first Sadowsky late last year :hyper: . Hofner's and the Violin bass i got an introduction obviously by Paul Mccartney but i didint try one till the bassist who played at one of the Masses at Church when i was kid let me try his bass and that is when i new one day i had to get a violin bass. How did you come to know of your bass builder or maker?.

2. well after years with my Ibanez SR506 I started doing lots of session work and multiple gigs...I decide it was time to get a pro level bass (i still love my Ibanez but I was ready for something new)...I looked at Ken Smith,Fender,Ernie Ball,Warwick,and quite a few others....but ALWAYS avoided Peavey stuff...I HATE peavey....well i went into a local shop and they had a Cirrus 6 redwood in there...I decided to try it, and after years so hating anything/everything that had the name Peavey on it I was in love...Humblerumble posted his for sale in the classifieds and I bought it...I named her Sira...and now I love her....I'm not getting a really aggresive sound out of it (but I think that's mostly the strings,hand placement,and cabs/amp) but all of that will be straightened out soon :D

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I went to Austin City Limits Festival last year and saw Charlie Hunter. I was intrigued by his Fanned Fret Novax. After searching through Novax's site, I saw a link to Dingwall Guitars. After reading all the reviews on his stuff, I was pretty much sold without even hearing it.

Since buying it, I have a builder for life now. Sheldon has amazing customer service and is a great guy to work with, even though I ordered my bass from a more local store and not direct. Next one I get will be a custom direct from him. I haven't once been dissapointed in anything about my bass.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Fender RB5 - no explanation necessary for the make! I heard good things about the model at the Fender Forum, and then tried one for myself. I was so impressed that it became my first five stringer.

MTD 535 - had heard good things, and then I played one up at Rudy's in NYC.

Lull P5 - wanted a 5-string P-bass, selected it over the Fender P5.

Warwick Streamer Stage I 5 - liked the chunky Warwick sound and neck profile (and nice wide spacing), got a nice price on a used one at Bass Central, took a chance (happy I did).

Darrin Huff Z-5 (on order) - loved the design. After months of checking out "in progress" photos at Darrin's site, and then discussing the details of my dream bass with him, I pulled the trigger. I'm very much looking forward to it.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    G&L - Heard they were amazing basses here on Talkbass. Took a leap on an L2K, and passed it on a few months later. Now, knowing that they make a badass product, when I was in search of a new bass, I found what amounted to the P bass of my dreams in an SB-1, for a great price.

6. I did a search on Google: "overpriced parts fender clone steroids warmoth"

:p

I read an article in Guitar Player around 1989 about Sadowsky. I went to the shopfall of 1989, tried them, and placed on order on the spot.

7. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    ...someone told me there was a guy that made acoustic guitars 30 minutes from my house. I find out he was a bass player, drove out there and ordered my first of many Marchlewski's.

8. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Well, after someone stole my Fernandes last year, I decided to find a substitute, but better quality.
    I started to look for differents features (sound, playability, looks) and a Sterling was my first choice
    But then, after checking, reading, searching and asking for advice, I decided that Peavey Cirrus would be my next choice.
    I had never played or seen one before in person, but decided
    to take the risk.
    So, one day one came up in TB classifieds and decided to go for it. Had to wait 3 months before receiving it, till a friend of mine came to visit me.
    I`ve had my bass for 10 months now and I couldn`t be happier.

9. Curbow: I got to meet the man himself and sketch out my bass from the ground up.

Reverend: In mid-'98, I was thumbing through BP when I saw an ad for this heretofore-unknown company. They had a quote from Brad Houser, a player I respect, saying of Reverend, "best 4-string I've ever owned. Snap and growl of a J-bass, with the boom and warmth of a Hofner." Now, I figured this is partly marketing hype, but that quote really got my attention. So, I drove two hours to try one, and as soon as I played it, I knew.

10. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I was first introduced to Lakland by seeing U2's Adam Clayton playing JO's, and several pop/hip-hop players with 55-93 models. My hands down favorite is the Hollowbody model. I dreamed about one when they first came out and promptly got in line when they were issued as Skylines.

I grew up listening to Fugazi and loved the bass tone on their early records. When I saw a local player playing a Stingray through a solid state Fender, I knew the tone in my head was coming from the Stingray. I saved farm money all summer and picked up my brand new '92 that summer.

Fender is the alpha. Who needs an introduction there?

11. I bought my Ken Lawrence because it was blue (seriously). Also, about five years ago I played a Brase that was owned by my friend Dan Knowlton, and recognized that it was a slick bass. When I saw the more "normal" Associate shape for sale, I bought it on recommendation from Adrian. The Lawrence bass now has a pair of Nordstrand pickups and an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp. I met Carey Nordstrand because I bought one of his basses from Adrian, who sent it to Carey for a preamp install. The guy lives about 45 minutes away, does excellent repair work, and I trust his opinion of tone, so when it came time to give my Lawrence a different sound, I knew where to go.

I got my Tyler 5 string because my guitar player is/was a huge fan of their guitars, and they had an excellent rep among studio players out here in El Lay. Glad I found that one.

Sadowsky--Vanselus told me to get it, so I bought one that was exactly like his.

12. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    F Bass: I had read about them in Bass Player and was interested. I found one on the internet, took a leap of faith, and bought it. I now own three. I've talked to George a few times and found him to be very generous with his time and information on the phone. I don't think I'll ever purchase any other brand of 'jazz-ish' basses. If George ever did an endorsement program (paid or unpaid), I'd jump at the chance.

Bee Basses: I have one on order as I wanted something completely different from my F Basses. I had initially met Fred at a bass gathering in Portland (Rip City Rumble) and thought his instruments were interesting and he seemed like a really great guy. Met him a few more times, tried more of his basses and put down some money.

-Eric.

13. Eric, next you should get an FBB, since you already have some F's and a Bee on the way.

14. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I was a big fan of Roscoe Beck (and his great "classic Jazz" tone) before the production model RB5 came out; when it did, I snapped one up pretty quickly. I only wish Fender would make a production model of his six-string.

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I decided I should pick up a P or J bass and came across an ad for a used Valenti Nino was selling. After an awesome first buy experience and realizing it fit me much better than my G&L I decided to order another as a replacement 5 string.

16. lenorules1950

lenorules1950

Aug 20, 2004
    Meriden, CT
    The first bass I ever played was this haggard old 1970s Fender Precision in my 7th grade music class. My dad waited a few years until both he and I were sure this was something I was going to stick with, then we started discussing a bass for me. We started looking through a Musician's Friend catalog and he picked the old standard Fender Precision. I saw some cheap-ass copy of one from some brand I can't even remember- I told him that it looked the same, and it was $150 cheaper than the real thing, it couldn't be that different. He told me that looks weren't everything... and ended up buying me a Fender Precision that Christmas (I was all :hyper: ) . I doubt that cheap copy would have taken the kind of abuse I dished out on the Precision and lasted this long. I've been a Fender guy ever since- Sure, I have some basses from other brands (particularly Epiphone) but I'm always going to have that Precision.

17. Roscoe: After a few years with my Ibanez BTB, i was starting to get sick of it. I met Adrian Garcia on here and started talking to him about buying a new bass. He introduced me to Keith's work, end of story.
    My grandfather basically bought the bass for me and it ended up being the last thing he ever gave me before he died. Now i'm sentimentally dedicated to both Keith and AG for all my bass needs, but i'm also dedicated to thier fantastic work ethic. They helped me get through a real rough time. Thanks fellas.

18. dont

dont

Jul 25, 2004
    dontwyman@lycos.com
    I admired a Sukop five for about two months on Gbase, finally realizing that its $1999 price tag was a good deal. This is an awesome bass; it plays exceptionally well, has great tone, is a beautiful piece of craftmanship, and is well balanced.
    After reading reviews and deciding to talk to Pete Hanewinckel, I have
    a five being built. Pete's knowledge of every detail from the tone each type of wood adds to the bass to pickup placement was very impressive. He made designing my instrument a very pleasant learning experience. The pictures he has Emailed me of the work in progress are incredible. I have roughly six weeks yet to wait and am very anxious to get my hands on this bass. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

19. Roscoe for me too. I first saw them on the cover of Bassics magazine in the hands of Kim Stone. So longed for one for about 7 years until I could afford one (wife and kids and ahouse ya know). I found one on bassgear.com, and plunked the money down - holding my breath until it came in from the west coast somewhere. It was all Ihad hoped for except for the fact that the guy said there was an active preamp - turned out to be a pot and a cap. Buyer be ware. That said it's a great bass.

Also I'd like to get my hands on a Linc Luthier bass some day.

20. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Spector:
    After owning a few of Spector Euro basses, one of them needed work. I called the customer service number on the website or catalog & I spoke to him direct. I spoke to Stuart on the phone alot when I order ny USA NS-4 in trans white & his customer service is top notch!!!!!!

Sadowsky:
    Went into the shop on Broadway. I was convinced that Sadowsky were nothing but a high priced Fender & I was working at Sam Ash & I've played a lot of Fenders. Well, I played a few in the shop & I was talking to one of the guys in the shop. After we were done I said

"It was nice to meet you, I'm Nino."

"Nice tou meet you Nino, I'm Roger"

The rest is TB history. :)