1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How did you cope with the death of your favorite musican ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Sep 24, 2008.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

How did you cope with the death of your favorite musican ?

2. "What??! Are you serious? Dude, that sucks.....so.....what are you doing this weekend?"

3. MAJOR METAL

Come again ?

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    that was his response.... that was the whole 'coping' bit.

Mine was similar... I'm sad at the loss of anyone, music or not. But unless it's within my personal circle of friends and family, there isn't much to 'cope'

5. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Not dead yet.

6. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    :bawl:

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I played a lot of their records and reminisced about the good times.

8. MAJOR METAL

Thanks, now I understand ! :)

9. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I'm not sure who qualifies as my "favorite musician".

Suffice to say the only musician's death that had a bigger effect on me than just a simple momentary "aw, crap, that's too bad" was John Lennon's. I was an undergraduate at music school and I was at a party thrown by the Concert (Wind) Band when the news broke. The party almost instantaneously came to an end. The next morning I woke up and was prepared to go into school -- the first class I had that day was an ensemble, playing standards with a 7-piece group directed by Quinous Johnson -- and as I was picking up my coffee I glanced at the newspaper headlines and suddenly realized that slogging through Real Book tunes with a half dozen other 20-year-old jazz hacks was the worst possible way to mourn the loss of John Lennon. I played hooky and listened to Beatle albums all day with my roommate instead.

10. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I guess it would be something like - really, wow. That's too bad.
    I mean, it's sad, but it's not like you really "knew" them.

11. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    But, for JE? went home and played along to "Quadrophenia". For Warren Zevon? learned and played "Accidentally Like a Martyr" live next gig.

12. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Well, I was 4 years old at the time and didn't know about him yet.

13. i wasnt around when jesus died

14. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI

Am I supposed to guess your name??

15. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Back when I was a paramedic, I was coming off shift with an unfamiliar partner.

As we pulled into the yard the news came on the radio that Jerry Garcia had just died.

Turns out my driver was a real dead head and became so verklempt that while parking the brand new ambulance we where in he backed it into the front bumper of the other brand new ambulance that had just been bought.

An ACLS ambulance is a well over $100K piece of machine.

He managed to do that right under the nose of the company owner who was sitting at the dispatch desk at the time.

As the company owner came running into the yard looking like he was about to need a paramedic for himself, all my partner said was, "Who cares, Jerry's dead."

He got into his car, drove off and was never seen again.

16. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    I don't know, I haven't died yet.

17. When my favorite musicians start dying off I'll have to cope with my own age too. The shock is almost as big as losing a relative, but the loss isn't felt as long.

18. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Word. And with many musicians, it's not "if" but "when" (see: Amy Winehouse) so it's not a big surprise to anyone.

19. MAJOR METAL

Ouch.

20. Most of my fave musicians divide into two categories- those who died a long time ago and those who are still alive (and have been around for ages)