1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How did you cope with the death of your favorite musican ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Just a bit more - it depends on the individual. I didn't go into boo-hoo sobbing when either my Mom or Dad died, and I loved them both dearly. But that kind of reaction is simply not me. Other people get grief-stricken when their flowers wilt. Go figure.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Nathan's still alive.

3. Probably a little bit bummed, but my favourite musicians have no doubt lived what others would have took several lifetimes to, so there's no need to mourn.

4. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Stevie Ray Vaughan was some kind of (very) distant relative. I could never keep straight how we were on the same family tree at all. I know it was through my mom's mom's dad and Stevie's dad's mom, whatever you call that. I was really bothered by his death because I was a huge fan, but I'd only met him for a total of maybe an hour. So I can't claim as though he was a close friend or relative.

I had no connection whatsoever with John Lennon or Jerry Garcia. But both of them bothered me basically as much as Stevie. With all three I played a LOT of their music and kind of moped for a little while.

5. the evil

the evil

Aug 12, 2008
    WOW

how do i get this guy restarting my heart?

but when i heard brad delp died i was pretty bummed. i knew i would never see boston like i knew it. i did see them at the mohegan sun this summer but cmon, i listened to a guy form home depot sing all those songs delp should have been on stage doing.....

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

When Miles Davis died, I gathered with other musicians in the yard of the highschool and jammed for a couple hours over Jean-Pierre.

7. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    People dies. Some quicker than others. Of course it's sad when a great musician (or anyone who I admire) dies, but that's how it is. You can't change that. I'm grateful for what I've gotten from the person in question in terms of listening experiences and other things.

8. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Phile Lynott. I was sad when he died, sadder when I found out he was the cause.

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I just said, "Come on, Dude. Let's go bowling."

10. kangia

kangia

Aug 10, 2008
    I really hate idolizing. And how can I cope with a death of a stranger?
    I can sympathize though. And don't tell me that you know a person by his music or TV shows or even newspaper magazines!
    I can miss a person's music, but I repeat, I don't know him/her!
    Do you cope with thousands of 'regular' people dying every day?

Bass Guitar Place

11. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    I don't think I really needed to cope per se, but I do remember thinking about how untimely it was when Joe Strummer passed. Joey Ramone, too. Those guys were way too young... but then, so were many when they went...

12. filter

filter

Jun 7, 2003
    Atl, GA
    Bon Scott, John Bonham and later Kurt Cobain. I always wonder what music we missed out on. I still like AC-DC, but I still wonder..

13. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    I say some prayers for the family and friends of the desceased.

14. dj150888

dj150888

Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland
    My favourite players that have died were Chuck Shuldiner, Quorthon and Phil Lynott. Unfortunately Phil died shortly before my time, so I never had a chance to experience the excitement of a new CD of his coming out or the excitement of waiting to see them play a gig.

With Chuck and Quorthon, I didn't grieve (as has been said, I didn't know them personally, though I believe you definitely connect with someone through their music), but I felt a regret that I'd never get to hear them play new music or play another gig. I just felt a bit like the world was short one more person who made a difference to me. Had a day after both died of playing their music exclusively in tribute and I recently recorded a Bathory cover in tribute to Quorthon.

15. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm actually going to go the other way here. The day that Geddy Lee dies, I'm not going to be of any use to anybody.

Rush has been a soundtrack for my life for almost as long as I can remember (I started listening to them when I was 6 years old!).

Nothing against the other members of Rush, but Geddy plays a little further into things for me...

Geddy is the end-all reason I picked up a bass. I consider other players as influences as well, but Geddy Lee is the sole reason I ever touched a bass guitar in the first place.

It's gonna hurt. Some music I take very personally, and some songs I hold very close.

-Mark

PS - And no, I've never met him. If I can ever get access to a meet and greet, he'll get a handshake and "Thank you for the music and inspiration.", I'll get the photo taken, and that's it. Artists have the right to determine how much of themselves they want to share with the public. Rush chooses to share their music and lead private lives, and I respect that.

16. Mike Money

Mike Money In Memoriam

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Not dead yet.

Dimebag was a little hard on me... but now i've realized that i dont like pantera anyways.

17. just saw this (just started posting here).

when Entwistle died, i was pretty upset. i'd seen him in concert w/ the reunited Who twice (in '96 and '00). it seemed unfair because if anyone in that band still had plenty to offer on a musical level, it was him. yeah, those songs are old and have been beaten to death on classic rock radio. but when he tore into the bass solo on "5:15" you knew he still had it, and was still honing his talents years past The Who's prime as a band. i would have given my left arm to catch him in a small club with his solo band, too.

but when you have records like Live At Leeds to play for eternity, there's something to be thankful for with that.

18. anechoic

anechoic

Oct 31, 2005
    Shirley, MA
    Mick Jagger?

19. I was pretty upset when Brad Delp died. When I found he took his own life it was even more depressing. Then I read what te suicide notes said that were posted at all the doors of his home, warning others there there will be carbon monoxide in the house, I was really touched. A guy that was ending his life took the time to warn others of the dangers entering them home. Man. Not only was his voice absolutely incredible, but he was such a good person, involved in many causes for humanity and animal rights, etc. That hit me pretty hard. I'm pretty sure I shed a :crying: or two.

No other musician really hit me. I was bummed when Entwistle died, but eh.

20. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

When Lowell George passed I was bummed. Further bummed cause Little Feat just vanished for years. Glad they came back and even though they are always creating new music they still leave plenty of room in each show for Lowell's stuff.