How did you find and choose your graduate school ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, May 21, 2007.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

How did you find and choose your graduate school ?

2. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

It is where "my guitarist" went to school, I recieved a BEOG grant. I had to pay back 50% of what I borrowed. No brainer.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

3. I worked in the Chemistry department at the local university after getting my bachelors degree, and took grad-level courses for fun because of the deep discounts for employees. One day, I realized I had fulfilled the Ph.D. requirement. One 10-minute discussion with the department chair, and I was in the program within 72 hours.

4. Med school: I only got into one school. Whew!

Residency: based on location and reputation. At that time I wanted to be in NY/Long Island area. :rolleyes:

Fellowship: I got into the two top programs in the country and chose the one that I thought would help my career the most: Johns Hopkins. Neither location nor pay were an issue.

5. It's close to home (45 minutes away) and I didn't need music theory to get into the program! Right now I'm conditionally accepted.. which basically means I'm in since I only need a 65% average to get in and I have about an 86% average.

I would have tried to get into Grant MacEwan in Alberta, but it's so expensive to live there!

6. I did a lot of research and consulted some of my professors to find some good programs. After I sent out all of my applications, interviewed at all the schools, and got my acceptance/rejection letters, I chose the program that offered me the most financial security as well as the one where I felt the best connection with the faculty. I'm very excited to start.

As you know, Kevin, I wish you the best of luck in your search. Let me know if there's any way that I can help you out.

7. Proximity. The longest bit of the walk for me when I was in college was from the front gates to the lecture theatres!

8. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Stanford had a great history department. One of the best in the country. Also, it is located in California.

When they offered me a full fellowship covering tuition and living expenses for four years, then, well . . .

[​IMG]

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021