1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How Did You Find Your Soundman

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by tycobb73, Apr 29, 2010.

1. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    My band is looking for a soundman. If you're in a band with a dedicated soundman, where did you find him and how cna I go about finding one?

2. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    Friend of a friend.

Just get the word out. We had to train ours (a former musician who had never run sound), and after a few months he was great.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    ... passed out drunk under the mixer board.

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I kinda created him. U-Genius has a bit of a technical background (He used to build tube amp back in the 60's). He used to work with my wife, and we kind of talked him into trying it. He did a bit of online research, and it turns out he was so good at it, I traded him my older sister in exchange for his continuing service. No lie. He's my brother-in-law now.

You might talk to Ray from Hattrick if you need to train someone for the job. He's been to school for that sort of thing IIRC.

5. meycom

meycom Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Southern Wis.
    I graduated from high school with him. Used to help him set up other band occasionally.

6. goran

goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Croatia
    Endorsing Artist: Bartolini
    :D:D:D

7. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    If you get me to Michigan and pay me well I'll be your sound guy. Yes, I'm serious.

8. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I am the soundman. Been running my own sound for 9 years now.

9. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass. Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Looked in the mirror...

... and told myself I couldn't hear the monitors... ;)

10. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Nov 13, 2006
    Neenah, WI
    Made mine from scratch... my son!

11. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    One of your soundmen actually contacted me. I said "Fine, I'll talk to Alex about it as he's a good friend. Doubt hell have a problem, but you never know. What kind of equipment do you have?" Him "I don'th ave any."

That was that. I've gotten a few responses like that.

12. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    called around to some of the local studios. We got a list of guy and dolls who knew their sh@t. Jesse ran our sound for 16 years, and she did a fine job. We gave her an equal share of the $.

G

13. "... One of your soundmen actually contacted me. I said "Fine, I'll talk to Alex about it as he's a good friend. Doubt hell have a problem, but you never know. What kind of equipment do you have?" Him "I don'th ave any."

That was that. I've gotten a few responses like that..."

Are you looking for a soundman (someone to mix you on the house/otherwise provided PA system) or someone that does PA rental/live event production? If you're looking to add an nth member to your band - someone with a PA system - you may need to look at establisjing a relationship with a local sound retal company. Use their gear & figure out who their good guys are.

14. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    the latter

15. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    same way I get great players!! PAY THEM !! :)

head hunt -
    go see and hear bands that sound GREAT...then make that sound guy an offer he can't refuse.

oh, and PAY the sound engineer, even if the band doesn't get paid....sound guys like to be paid for the work. There's no glory in it for them :)

16. In my main band/project, this guy just kept showing up to our shows and helping out, you know, hauling cabs, pulling cables, doing load out, etc., then he started showing up for load in too. Then one day we were setting up and doing sound check, and he offered to deal with the P.A. system, and he clearly knew what he was doing, so we hired him. On my side project, I recruited my Son. He is still learning...

17. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Have you talked to the guys at Onstage/Chrysler? I've worked with PJ sound in the past as well.

18. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    "How Did You Find Your Soundman?"

Too friendly with the 420 and not friendly enough with the bass and drums....:meh:

19. skidrawk

skidrawk

Jan 21, 2007
    Space City, TX
    We don't have a regular guy but we do have four or five of them to chose from that we have a good working relationship with. Our band leader manages our schedule and so far so good. Some guys are better than others. The best one we have is a bit cocky though and one time we overpaid him by accident and he wouldn't give back the difference so haven't used him since. It's a shame too because I really love it when he's in charge of sound. He mixes on a Midas desk. He is very bass friendly.

20. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Hire him again and underpay him by "accident". :hyper: