Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How did YOU get into primus...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lemonadeisgood, Jan 10, 2002.

1. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    I'm interested in knowing how all the TBass Primus fans actually heard of the band, then after saying how stupid they sound, took a second listen and realized how great and original it is.

As for me, me and my friend had stopped at Burger King (ick!) for lunch one day and he was short on cash so he proposed that if I buy him lunch he'd give me some stupid CD by a band named Primus. So being the nice guy I am :rolleyes: I bought him lunch. He came back and saw me a couple days later and gave me "Sailing the seas of Cheese", and the rest is history.

Please share your Primus stories...

2. i was watching mtv2 (don't worry i don't anymore) and their video for wynona's big brown beaver came on and i was instantly hooked. it was around the time when napster was still good to give some range of time.

3. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    Back when I was 11 my cousin had a tape of Primus, and after that I was hooked. So now im 19 and still listen to them.

4. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    Saw "Jerry Was A Race Car Driver" back when MTV actually played videos...

5. Tonto_Goldstein

Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    Chicago
    and that was the first time I had heard their music. They opened for Rush. Sorry, but I don't remember the set that Primus did that night.

6. i heard my name mud . one day.i liked it i heard some other stuff from othere places and i started to play bass .found this place .heard primus was a really god band and had a great bass player.so i went out and got any primus cd and played that cd as much i could till i got more and here i am now a big primus fan.

7. My dad :eek: , as crazy as it sounds. He saw the video for Wynonna's Big Brown Beaver and decided to get the CD. I remeber listening to it when he first got it and it actually kinda scared me. Songs like Ms. Baileen and Glass Sandwich are actually kinda creepy! My dad only liked Wynonna and De Anza Jig so he taped them and sold the album. I didn't hear about Primus until I was cruising Talkbass (Under a different username, it was about a year and a half ago or so) and hearing about Les Claypool of Primus being a great bassist. It reminded me, HEY I use to listen to Primus. So I went out and bought Sailing The Seas of Cheese (The Title of the album had my uncle wondering why I was buying it) and here I am today. Devoting my life to buying every Les Claypool related album.

8. they were openers for U2, or REM or a band of that sort. My dad was at that concert... i was really into Nirvana at the time, and he thought it was somthing i would like (it was right at the time Brown Album was released). He bought the album, told me to listen to it, a bit odd, but crazy bass. I was hooked after that. My dad still insists on going to all the Les Claypool concerts. His part of the deal is if he goes wiht me, he'll pay. I've got no problem wiht that. So i've seen claypool 3 times (Frog brigade 2 times, and oysterhead), he's seen him 5 (the 3 w/ me and once wiht primus, and once with "phil lesh and friends")

9. Originally posted by masaru
    Saw "Jerry Was A Race Car Driver" back when MTV actually played videos...

Me too. This was in 1990, I was JUST getting into bass (a matter of a couple of weeks, literally). I was knocked out by his playing, I liked the song, and his bass looked like nothing I'd ever seen.

Within days, I bought my first issue of Bass Player, and there was a story about him in it. I bought the CD, heard Tommy The Cat, and sat around stunned for a couple of days. :)

10. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    well i heard "jerry was a race car driver" before i played bass,then i figured out that les is great,so i got into them more.there guitarist can solo and there drummer makes some creative beats.

11. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    sad to say but tony hawk. i had hear about them before that but that was the first time i had actually listend to them. when i bought my first primus cd i put on " tommy the cat " and seriously fell off my chair!

12. It was 1991. I was into Extreme (please refrain from throwing rotten vegetables :p) I had a Mullet. I heard two songs that changed everything: Jerry Was a Racecar Driver and Tommy the Cat. I loved the bass and hated everything else. Then one day I just got it. So I went out and bought Sailing the Seas and Frizzle Fry. Been a fan ever since. Plus it opened me to a lot of strange and amazing music like Tom Waits.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Like masaru and Slaphappy, I saw the video for Jerry was a racecar driver back when MTV still played music videos, and before all of the music video stations became whores for the pandering big 5 record conglomerates.

I was like 'Hey, that's pretty cool!' and went out and bought Sailing the seas of Cheese a few weeks later.

When any of my friends said that they were into Alternative, I would say 'Alternative? I'll show you Alternative!' and then play that CD for them.

One of the most original bands ever. And Les is a pretty darned good fretted bass player too.;)

14. :D

What do you mean? Claypools fretless intonation is beyond reproach.........:D

15. embellisher

I'll bet people with perfect pitch aren't big Primus fans!:D

16. Prob'ly not...
    Personally, I find his fretless playing sort of charmingly horrible.

17. embellisher

Kind of like Hendrix' lead guitar playing after a few whammy bar tricks.

18. It was actually a series of events that turned me on to Primus.
    I saw the "My name is Mud" video on Beavis and Butthead.
    I saw them play "tommy the cat" on Bill and Teds excellent adventure.
    A friend of my dad gave me and my brother the "...seas of cheese" cd.

And that is history.

19. jvasquez18

jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    behind the music on metallica. when cliff burton died, les went to the try-out and was "too good". he was told to start his own band. so after watching metallica on TV, i went to napster to check out primus with "jerry" and "wynona"