1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How did you get scammed?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cmgkhn, Oct 26, 2018.

1. cmgkhn

cmgkhn

Oct 12, 2018
    Europe
    Of course best idea is to check everything possible before buying but did you ever get scammed buying an instrument? If so, how?

Maybe you trusted the seller's word about originality and didn't check the electronics or neck and it was replaced? Or maybe you checked it but it turns out after a while that the truss rod was changed? It had a refinish at some point? Headstock was broken and glued back and covered by paint?

What are the examples of the things that you can miss even after a thorough inspection?

Tell us how did you get scammed!

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Looking for a new business plan? :D

oZZma, FilterFunk, Gorn and 3 others like this.
  3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I got scammed into buying eleventybillion dollars of bass equipment by joining Talkbass forums!

Mr_Moo, shawshank72, Oddly and 15 others like this.
  4. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    1st wife said it was forever
    Till it wasn’t
    Lol
    Duke

twinjet, murphy and Warhawk like this.
  5. Most stories I read here, have to do with money, not merchandise. Most scams involve buyers claiming they didn’t receive something and getting a refund, or not returning something after a refund.

ajkula66 likes this.
  6. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

There was a guy who claimed he was a sailor, and that he had been robbed and needed help, and...

Oh, wait, what?

7. I don't know if undisclosed damage qualifies as a scam, but when I was in my twenties, I traded a Hondo bass, a little tube combo amp that I found in a thrift store, and a truly horrible Gretsch TK300 for this 1972 EB-0:

EvnTw1Ye_LzkF3emOTttPdIvpSCNSRWuaX1u8sALPXHk0iG9f9zhJJZQsZxLc616oOLNGLGqWFNPFhu5fBO=w688-h917-no.

I wasn't too savvy about Gibson basses and there was no internet at the time, so the pickguard didn't look too odd to me. It was probably over a year later that I pulled off the back plate and found this:

RHpB7p9FFWgddEcqtMJ38JVlO18m--eZ8GEM7PbA47HkRyeSbN0bkVXk-rxxmcDkSgSSNxNNHK-DvcZorlI=w688-h917-no.

eeWefk7DNC6mBtZ0j7sVKuSY5WzMB_NQLFv8XqhXM6vpHyRcisbyZx7rI3IdszYq6jS5YLPf72EWrrZbm6U=w688-h917-no.

I don't recall being too upset at the time, but now I wish I knew more about the little amp I traded away.

8. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Paying for a bass being told it had Alnico pickups and not Ceramic

arrived with ceramics....seller did nothing to rectify

Bought a set of replacement pickups....one arrived DOA

9. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Twenty years ago, in the early days of eBay, I sold a 70’s fretless Fender Precision. I wasn’t particularly savvy about “vintage” basses at the time—it was just a beat-up old bass that I got somewhere and never liked.

Anyway, I never took the bass apart or thought to research it, I just put a bunch of photos up and moved it out along with hundreds of other things I was selling at the time.

Later, I got an email from the buyer, accusing me of having swapped out the original electronics before shipping it. Since I had never opened it up or photographed the circuit, I had no way to prove one way or another what the pots looked like or anything. I had made it ABUNDANTLY clear that all questions about my listings would be answered in full but the buyer hadn’t requested any info. I refunded him a couple of hundred bucks and stopped selling instruments after that.

10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i've been let down (scammed?) on purchases before, but not on instruments. really knowing what you want should take care of all that. OTOH, i was once young and naive and i made a few instrument purchases based on 'ideas' and looks instead of knowledge and experience...but the stupidity involved was all mine...i ripped off myself and wasted my own time and money! :D

11. 7615

Nov 19, 2015
    And the TK300 - horrible. I have played an EB - prefer the TK300

Bugeyed Earl likes this.
  12. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Once bought a slightly used model car engine off ebay. Photos and description said it was run less than 3 tanks of fuel so i bought it.
    The engine i received was slap wore out and beat to poopie. Since it was the same kind of engine as the one i (thought) i bought i assumed the seller just shipped the wrong engine. Imagine my surprise when he told me no, i got the engine i was supposed to. I sent pictures to ebay along with the listing and they refunded me.

13. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    I called Musician's Friend during a sale to see what kind of a deal I could get on an American Standard Precision. The guy hooked me up with a sweet deal and then went on a shopping spree with my credit card. Secure checkout only, please....:woot:

14. mike57

mike57

Feb 12, 2009
    Our Fair City, MA
    It was a small piece of wood wrapped in tin foil. :thumbsdown:

15. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    What the hell man? I hope that situation was dealt with properly and you didn’t end up out of pocket

16. Rapisme

Rapisme Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    I don’t buy from those guys anymore! Once ordered a fender Dimension bass.
    The box arrived empty! Put in a claim waited 3 plus weeks and finally got a refund. The plus was that UPS came to pickup the empty box 5 days later!!