1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How did you get started in music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by nicechuck, Apr 3, 2013.

1. nicechuck

nicechuck

Jul 9, 2007
    I wanted to start a thread about how everyone got started in music and in playing DB. I'm sure everyone's story will be different. Mine may be a long post.

I've been singing since I was a toodler, my Mom played piano, guitar, harmonica, and accordian, and I started singing in Church when I was 5, singing solo, and I sang harmony with my older brother, who was 8 at the time. When I was about 7 I bought a harmonica, got home and sat on the front steps and started playing it. At age 13 I sold my bike and bought an electric guitar. Had to wait till Christmas for an amp lol. About 2 weeks later, a friend sold me his old Kay electric bass for $20. I started playing piano also. By the age of 11 I was singing baritone in a quartet at church. We sang together till I moved to Florida in 73. I started writing songs for real when I was 16, I write Southern Gospel, Pop, Jazz, Country, etc. I also started playing lap and pedal steel, violin, banjo, mandolin, ukulele, cello, viola, and EWI. I bought an EUB several years ago, and a DB over 2 years ago. I'd played DB before, even at some gospel sings. Over 50 years later, I still play and sing in church, and I do cds where I write all the songs and play all the instruments. I also have written some duets and recorded them with a local friend, and a close friend that lives 2400 miles away. The wonder of modern convieniences huh?
    I wish I'd had some theory, that would've made it faster and easier to figure out key changes, complicated harmony parts, etc. But I've had the privilage of singing/playing with some wonderful, and wonderfully talented people, and there are people all over the US and all over the world that have heard my songs, and have some of my songs on cd.
    Talkbass is a wonderful site
    I'm entirely self-taught, and have no music theory training.

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    The Beatles... 'nuff said (bass guitar)

3. My mon played bass when she was younger and when i grew up she had her 2 basses standing in a corner. She listened to all the greats, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Yes and Kiss (no hate). Those to basses and Gene Simmons made me want to pick up the bass. Now i'm 18, have played seriously for 7 years. About a year ago, I picked up the double bass. I also played trumpet for a year and I have played piano for 3-4 years now. I love it!

4. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    John Williams (Star Wars film score, back when there was only one Star Wars movie), my uncle that plays classical guitar, Iron Maiden's "Number of the Beast" and Metallica's "Ride the Lightening"

First instrument was violin, followed by guitar, then bass, then keys, and finally drums.

5. jason weatherby

jason weatherby

Aug 30, 2012
    Parents made me (God Bless em!) start out on piano "that's the right way to start for any instrument". Yes Dad. Grew up in a house with a baby grand and a concert grand in the living room. Dad was a semi-pro French horn, trumpet, cornet and bugle player and teacher. Listened only to classical and some military band music at home on late 1950s-era state-of-the-art "Hi Fi" gear that Dad built from kits, Heath, Dyna, Rek-O-cut, AR, Klipsch, etc. Always wanted to play bassoon but was way too small as a grade-schooler. Moved up to clarinet after learning the basics on piano. Finally big enough to reach the keys on bassoon in junior high. Then started on bass at the very advanced age of 52.

6. madurolover

madurolover

May 21, 2011
    Tampa Fl
    40 years ago at 13 my friend played guitar and another wanted to learn so we said lets start a band, I will play the drums (of which I only had a snare drum). Once my parents saw some dedication they bought me a drum set. About 10 years ago, friends in a band were looking for a bass player, I said I will play the bass. I tried other instruments, never was good at changing chords or blowing into a Sax. I like being in the rhythm section.

7. My storys short. My brother played the gat, while my other brother played the drums. So i figured id play the bass. Not bad thinking for a 10 year old

8. Liam76

Liam76

Dec 28, 2012
    It was inevitable for me, my Dad sang and played guitar. I even remember hearing him practicing on the can back in the 70's, lol!

Anyway, my Sister ended up singing and playing guitar and piano. My Brother was the one who played bass. Myself, I started out playing in high school, first on the clarinet, then saxophone, then bass clarinet. All the while, I started learning piano, then guitar and inherited my Brother's first bass guitar, and that was the instrument that got me hooked.

Ever since I was little kid though, I couldn't stand just listening to music, I always wanted to participate.

9. nicechuck

nicechuck

Jul 9, 2007
    This is great! Aside from gospel, I grew up listening to 60s pop and rock, The Buckinghams were a fave, Grand Funk, Chicago, Dad watched Flat and Scruggs, got into jazz and classical

10. DB for me was when I was 9 (1967) I started taking lessons in school. My Mom and Dad both played guitar (into country music) so it came naturally for me to play an instrument. The tough part was I was small and had to stand on a stool to even play it not to mention I am a lefty and so was my way of thinking so learning to play right handed was some task.
    I went electric when I was 11 turn to metal and hard rock. I have only on rare occasions got to play a DB but, it is my roots and I will forever remember it as my starting point on my now 46 year musical journey that is RT on the bass.

11. ERIC A

ERIC A Supporting Member

My brother needed a bass player for his band. I was 18 at that time and had never really played any instruments. He told me not to worry " a monkey could play the bass". 34 yeras later, I am a very busy monkey.:cool:

12. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    that was funny!!!:)

13. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Junior high school I was put in woodwinds class by luck of the draw and not a visual arts class. Given a choice I would have wanted the brass class and a trumpet.

14. Pelham Bleu

Pelham Bleu All you need is fuzz.

Apr 4, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Howdy everyone,

My first post! I've been a long time reader/lurker but just recently took the plunge and signed up. This thread about getting started in music seemed about as good a place as any to introduce meself.

I began playing bass in college about 8 years ago. My roommate at that time, first in the dorm, then in a flophouse, played guitar so I picked up a Squier bass starter pack so I could join along. I remember him teaching me the bass line to Green Day's Warning on the first day. I wish I could go back in time to hear it! Good times. Fast-forward to today: I've played in several bands (originals, covers, mix) and am currently busy with a hard rock (think Who, Zep, Soundgarden, P.J.) cover/original group. Being in a band and gigging is an absolute joy and it all seemed to have began almost by accident.

Anywho, I look forward to chatting with and learning from the TB community. Thanks!

15. Gottaplaybass

Gottaplaybass a.k.a. James Slice

Jun 18, 2007
    McDonough GA
    I took piano lessions when I was about 8. Took guitar lessons around 12 and could play about 6 cords. Couldn't see what use I would have for either. Too short sighted I guess. I had the unique opportunity to attend the same small Lutheran church in Oak Ridge, Tennessee that Edgar Meyer's family attended. His father taught music in my Junior High School, and he and Edgar would play bass during the offering from time to time. At the time I had no interest in bass, and never thought that I would ever be able to afford such a massive instrument. At 18 I discovered Yes by accident. Suddenly I'm hearing Chris Squire playing the bass as if it were a lead instrument. I fell in love with the sound, and even began to realize that the music that I was drawn to all had strong bass lines. (I have always liked semi-trucks. I guess I just like low vibrations.) I let the desire lie dormant for many years, but at 47 I decided it was time to really make the effort to learn to play. The Internet has revolutionized music instruction. While nothing can replace the one on one attention of private instruction, now via Youtube and other sites such as this great Talkbass forum, we can get so much information that just a short time ago was almost impossible to attain without laying out much money.

And Edgar, If you read this I want you to know that I thank you and your family for instilling much music appreciation in me. I attribute my love of classical music to what I heard played by you in church. My family didn't play much music at home, so it must have been in church that I received my love for that rich sound. Thank You!

16. nicechuck

nicechuck

Jul 9, 2007
    Nice post Gottaplaybass

17. Mindchef

Mindchef

May 23, 2012
    Mom's an old hippie who was always playing guitar and piano when I was little. Folk songs, Bob Dylan, Beatles stuff, and the like. Guitar just seemed so cool, She always tried to teach me to play but I was too stubborn to practice, until around age 14 when I really got into metal (it was the only thing in the world that understood me... you know the type XD), bought an electric guitar on a whim, and mostly just taught myself from there. Took a few music classes in high school and college to help along the way.

Years later a local band needed a bassist. They already had a bass rig. I thought, what the hell, if I can play guitar I can play bass. So I did. Then I came to the realization of how awesome of an instrument bass is, and it's been an uphill journey since then :D

18. Adub311

Adub311

Jun 25, 2011
    Whittier, CA
    Sophomore in high school. Guitar Hero was really big around that time and I decided I wanted to play a real instrument instead of just a hunk of plastic.
    And seeing Juan Alderete holding it down with Mars Volta just fueled the fire

19. r.t.swing

r.t.swing

May 5, 2009
    London
    When very young my mom borrowed a Maurice Andre record from the library and I fell in love with the sound. It felt like everything I ever thing I'd ever known could be summed up in a single note. So far its been a long journey and I am no great player, but I'm a great listener.

20. I was travelling through Seattle on my way home from a conference. I meet an old buddy for lunch, and when I picked him up in front of his appartment, he was holding a guitar bag. He hands it to me & said "Here, you need this bass."

I banged on it for a couple of years, and didn't get bored, so I finally signed up for lessons. That was 3 years ago.

A year & a half ago, I worked on a forest fire, & received a sizable overtime check: turned it into a San Francisco vacation and a double bass.

Now, I'm playing in two bands (EB in a rock band, and DB in an eclectic group), practicing twice a week with each band, and also playing shows.

A random gift that changed my life!