Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How did you get that elusive tone,sound,style?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by StringMan50, Nov 26, 2004.

1. StringMan50

StringMan50

Jan 12, 2004
    USA
    :bag: How long did it take for you to develop that true sound that came from within you,not the style of other but that sound that throbs in you. I guess i'm trying to say when you pickup that bass plug it into that amp strap it accross you your back lay those finger in place pluck that first note and you know it's yours.

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    it is taking me a lifetime

3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I think most forward-thinking musicians who are dedicated to being musical and making personal statements with their music regard the efforts they make towards that as a work in progress. As AG said, a lifetime project - progress yes, perfection, maybe not, but it's the journey that matters more than the destination.

For me, and only me, it took about 10 years to start being able to communicate like that - that's only when I really wanted to start playing that way. After that, maybe 5 more years to really start doing it, have people notice it, and really start recognizing it. Here, I'm just putting a measurable number on something that can't really be measured. Everybody has their own stamp, at both the highest and lowest levels of ability, but it takes a lot of concern about the art of this thing to really make statements.

I congratulate you for asking about this stuff - it reveals you're aware of the truly important things in music. I realized that a little late in my playing career, but I'm working on it.

Here's a tip that worked for me - if you want to speak eloquently on the bass, you have to mimic and study those who already do. It's a time-honored tradition of studying the masters. Then, you duplicate, assimilate, and then innovate in your own way.

4. I'm still searching, but what I have so far is pretty good.

I need a less blown-up cab though... :meh:

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Wrong forum - moved.