Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How did you get your Trace Elliot V8?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brad Barker, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i looked around ebay, i made multiple searches on yahoo and google...

but i couldn't find any sort of online dealer!

i've seen more than one on here, so...fess up! how'd you get your hands on one? :D

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Used. They don't make them anymore. There just aren't alot of them available... Patience!

3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I agree I had a TE Hexa. Which I think is even harder to find these days. Just keep an eye open. Try sprending the word that you're in the market for one. Who knows someone might just call you that they want to sell one to you :p

4. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...be prepared for a $2K+ figure...

~S~

5. I purchased my V8 brand new within a few months of the NAMM release anouncement.

I had been searching for a HexaValve and in desperation ended up speaking directly with Trace in the UK. They suggested the V8 would more than satisfy my requirement. Trace's UK service manager made all the arrangements with my local dealer and it shipped direct.

If you can find one (concensus seems to be that fewer than 75 were made) it will be pricey, as Devilman suggests.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yup.

I'd love one, but I'm not really bothering to even look.

7. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

OUCH!!!

:eek: :mad:

...maybe i'll just GAS for a mesa 400+ instead. :p

8. If it meant getting a V8, and I had the money to spare, I'd gladly throw down 2-3K for one.

9. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...damn right, they're only a few years old & VERY limited. The sound to me, can NOT be replicated by ANY other amp...IF you own one, bow to it & kiss it daily...

~S~

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'm waiting for the new Trace to come out with a new V8 )or V10 or V12 :p ) so that they are once again affordable :rolleyes:

11. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...LMAO!!! When the 8's came out over 5yrs ago they were STILL $2K! I don't think you'll get an ALL tube amp like it for anything under that price my friend...

~S~

PS: I'm STILL looking for a "good" price on a VHT or Diezel...

12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    They might have been $2k then, but I havn't seen any in the US for less than $2500 :crying:

13. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    There's probably a higher probability of searching for a V4 or V6. I've never heard the V8, but the consensus is that it goes a little beyond the V6 in the tonal department (power aside). But I'm sure the V6 is not a disappointing amp in the least.

14. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...blah blah blah...old news...

~S~

15. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Are you guys serious? I payed $1800au for mine! That's around $5000au over here you guys are talking about :p I was real lucky though, the last one I saw went for around $2500au.

Do you reckon these things will go up in price over time, like the vintage SVT's? And if Trace re-introduced them, would the price of the limited 75 run of the V8's go down? Or go up, as these would be the 'original' ones?

16. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Only time will tell, but I'm pretty sure its guna be a while before Trace gets back into the tube buisness, unless they become really bold and just all of a sudden introduce a 12 tube monster or something... However, I think the V8 will go nowhere but up in value over time.

17. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    do you mean $5000us?

18. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    This is what I'm getting to satisfy my tube amp jonze. You can pick up a used one for $8-900. Much easier on the pocket, and there are tons of used ones out there. Pretty great sounding heads...but nowhere near are sweet as a Trace tube head.

19. I found mine on Ebay Germany, last May. I payed 1200 euro's for it which is a steal since new SVT's go for € 2000+. Go figure.

I bought it from a dude who didn't had a clue what he was selling... I guess he didn't even know that there's only 75 around. He bought it new (NOS) in some store in Germany, less than a year before I bought it from him.

I buy all my gear on the second hand market, but this is by far the best deal I have EVER made. I love this amp and will probably never let it go. I only hope it will never get stolen!

20. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    No. I mean if an amp was retailed at around $2500 in the US, it'd be around $5000+ here.

Just to give an example, the Mesa 400+ here is $4300 new.