Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How did you learn?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ImitationCheese, Sep 25, 2001.

1. How did you guys learn at first, did you have lessons, teach yourself, or anything else? Right now I'm teaching myself.

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i HAD to taught myself to play because there are no good teachers here in my town...

but since you are in US you can easily search for a teacher... it will help you a lot...

the internet has been my main teacher (including TB of course :D )... also some books that i have bought in some trips to the USA.

i´m still waiting for a good teacher to come around here :(

3. :) I am teaching myself.. but with the help of videos and books. I also watch of ppl play bass.. and learn from them... I know a guy who was in a band around nova scotia like 15 years ago.. and he and his wife can play bass really well. So i already learned alot from him telling me different things about basses. :D But some day soon im gonna spend a day at his house and he'll teach my stuff im having trouble with and ill get to use his basses. :p

4. Same here.. Tabs are a real big help and really easy to learn.

5. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I was lucky enough to play with a band right from the start and a month after getting the bass, I got a teacher, he's a guitarist, but the theory is the same for any instrument. He's helped me out alot and we both like the same music. METAL!!! That and listening to cd's and playing along to them.

6. bailstric

bailstric

Aug 12, 2001
    Ontario Canada
    i take lessons and it helps so much and i also take theroy lessons which is alot harder to learn by yourself

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I started teaching myself, because every teacher that I found wanted to start me off with "Coming 'Round The Mountain", and I didn't wanna learn that (arrogance). So, pulled out my CD's, and got started. 4 years later, I still haven't had a teacher, but I will get one. Jeff Berlin said it best, "There are some things you just can't figure out on your own."

8. I'm teaching myself becuase im too poor to have lessons, it's a sad musical exsistince:(

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    The hard way.

10. yeah i tought myself also.

11. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I took lessons for around a year until that guy moved to Cali for a producing job (very musical person he was) then I took "lessons" for another 6 months, I say "lessons" because it was manely jamming or whatever came to his mind to work on. So I guess with that guy it was lessons on how to play better with other people. That guy moved too. :( Now there are no more people that give lessons (only know of one more bassist here that might be able to teach me stuff)

12. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    I learnt the organ and piano as a kid - hated it, but glad that I did it now. Picked up the bass 10 years ago to play for church - have been playing weekly over that period. Self-taught from different instructional books and videos, as well as from playing in various bands and settings. May take lessons soon to tidy up my technique as I am recording more now.

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I STARTED by myself, but then took lessons (well, AM taking lessons... it's a gradual process.). And, I must say, lessons are worth every penny. You get more progress out of one session with a teacher than probably a year by yourself.

14. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I started with lessons but never took the instrument serious so I just jammed or tabbed out grooves. I'm taking lessons and starting to gig. So the lessons are invaluable for playing with others and being able to communicate musically.

15. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    I tought myself to play bass five years ago. Never had a teacher, except the internet of course. It seems much more fun to me to try and explore the bass by myself and not have people show me. kinda fuuny though because i would "invent" techniques that i didnt know already existed like double stroking and double thumping. i would get lessons if ummm wooten could teach me :p
    otherwise i belive im somewhat too advanced for the local teachers to teach me anything.

16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I taught myself. i dont know of any teahcers, or any bassplayers around where i am. it was fun though. Learning on my own. i would say for anyone teaching themselfs, when you first pick up your bass, learn some songs you like, or else you wont like ANY insturment. we all know that its a good thing to learn scales. but how fun are they to play.....so learn some songs first. so you WANT to keep playing it, and then hit the books.

17. Self-taught.

I played clarinet, bass clarinet, and alto sax in my high school band. Three of us (high school band members) were learning guitar on our own. After a few months we decided to start a band. One guy said "I'll play lead", another said "I'll play rhythm", I said "What's left". They said "Bass" to which I replied "What's that?"

Up until that time (9th grade), I had never heard of or knowingly seen a bass guitar (I led a sheltered life).

I started learning bass lines by playing them on a six string electric (not a bass). I quickly learned to read bass clef notation and played all the bass lines from a Beatles' music book. The first few times we performed, I played the six string tuned down an octave running through 4 department store beginner guitar amps chained together at the inputs. The first time I saw a bass guitar was 10 minutes before we were to perform for the high school. One of our guitar players borrowed a bass guitar and huge bass amp and brought it to the school. The first time I played a bass guitar was during that performance.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Self taught, with a little guidance from a couple of friends and God.:)

Learned to play in my dad's church 20+ years ago.

19. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    well i didn´t mean that!

i mean TB as a way to learn by reading post by really talented people here!

20. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    i started out, with a teacher, but not with him for very long. he showed me the bassics :) fingering, left hand technique and slap. was only with him for a few months. then on my own for a year or 2 then took some(or tried) from a guy i met, found out that i did better by myself.