Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How did you start playing bass????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by actinglikeafreak, Jun 12, 2001.

1. actinglikeafreak

actinglikeafreak Guest

Apr 24, 2000
    Puerto Rico
    Hey all, im just interested in hearing how yall started playing bass and why, details on your first bass experience would be cool.
    Me-- I originally wanted to play guitar--please dont martyr me!- anyway i sucked, i was 15 and all i had was a detuned acoustic guitar, and i found myself listening alot to the bass riffs in korn and limp bizkit.
    soon i was looking for tabs and playing them on my acoustic guitar, after it broke, i started to listen to RHCP and blues, i quickly developed a sort of love for it and looked at the bassists in live shows.
    THEN my dad-OF ALL PEOPLE!!!-gets me bass practice for him and me, the guy had a custom 6 string and i was awed at how he played, his name Plinio, and he had a spare fender around and he let me use it since i didnt have a bass.
    That was my first time holding a bass. later my dad-BIG SURPRISE (no really! No sarcasm)-bus me a beautiful Squier bass and my mom bought the strap, amp, and gig bag, i loved the classes but had to quit cuz of school, but i loved them. and now here i am, i still wanna know more about bass and improve my playing alot, im trying now learning music theory, eeeeww.... but thats my story, now im with two bands and touring around my island, its too cool!!!!
    thanx

2. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Friends of mine started a band and wanted me to play bass since they didn't have a bassist and I had long fingers. Two months later I learned how to play and joined the band. I enjoy playing very much now too.

3. I started playing two years ago. I had played guitar for seven years at that point. I was going to save up for a bass, and in the meantime I learned to play a bunch of bass tabs on my guitar. It wasn't the same, but at least it was a start. Then I got a Squier Bronco for my 17th birthday, and I taught myself how to play a bunch of tabs. It wasn't until a while later that I started to learn scales and apply chord structure and all that, and learn to improvise. I learned a lot of music theory from school band, and guitar, and how to read music from piano when I was little. And here I am, still in my basement, but at least I'm having fun with it.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I sucked as a drummer. Our bassist sucked. We switched. I would say the rest is history, but we didn't go anywhere. :D

5. I started drinking and doing drugs at an early age.
    One morning when I was 19 I woke up and the smell of beer, pizza, and smokes hit me hard.
    That night I had a party because my parents were away. I said something to my girlfriend that upset her so she threw a punch at me. I deflected it and pushed her. Pushed her right over the keg. She fell hard and hit her head hard. Her parents took her to the doctor because she had a headache that wouldn't go away. She had a concussion so her parents sent her away to clean herself up. I promised I would do the same while she was gone. Out of boredom and the fact that I had freinds that were a guitar player and a drummer I choose the bass. One of the best days of my life it turned out to be, picking up the bass. :)

6. Well, i've been a drummer for 10 years, but drums cost to much and are too loud plus i wanted to play something different so i started bass cuz i thought it was easy, boy was i wrong.

7. Like many, I guess, I took to the normal 6 string. That was when Hank Marvin was at his peak in the late 60s: he was my idol....!!!

Anyway, I sucked on the guitar. I decided to move to bass. I then discovered I'd quite some empathy with the bass and the whole business of bass notes.

Practiced really hard on developing good finger techniques then packed up music in mid 1970s due to nerves / stage fright (current thread on that subject currently running). Took up bass again last Christmas and currently jamming with a couple of guys from the old days.

Not very impressive is it.....:D?

Rockin John

8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    In 3th grade I was trained on the Oboe. I played that for about 5 years and Saxaphone for about 2 years. All of my life there were a miriad of instruments in my house (several guitars, banjo, organ, etc) all stuff my dad found in the garbage or at garage sales. My sisters sang together all the time and played a little guitar. By the time I was in 8th grade, my older sister was just out of high school and singing and playing in a local youth band that did gigs for like the Juvenile detention hall and stuff. Once, she asked me to come along and work the lighting system. I thought I did a great job, I nearly blinded the drummer. Anyway, afterward, they called me out during the ovation. I got a bigger applause than the band. That was a great feeling but I knew there was no future as a lighing tech.

A few months later I noticed that we were missing a banjo and saxaphone around the house. On my bed was a hollowbody "Bruno Conqueror" with flatwounds, wooden floating bridge, and about 3/4" action. My dad traded some stuff to get it in NYC near Manny's. This was Summer 1982. I thought bass was the coolest because the bass player in my sister's band was the biggest burn-out but the best musician.

I started plucking away trying to learn Rush, then Judas Priest, Scorpions, Yes. By the fall, in my freshman year in high school, I made freinds with two brothers from Yugoslavia who had just moved and hardly knew english. But they knew every line to every Rolling Stones tune. We started blues-ing around. That's how I learned how to play in a band. We added a drummer and singer within 2 years and did gigs at school.

9. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Mother was an incubator, father was the contents of a test tube in an ice box, in the factory of birth.

I don't remember much about my youth, except that I lived in a place called the Institute, at least until the... accident. My upbringing was as happy as it could have been with weekly electro-shock therapy. Professor Rickman treated us well - his death was such a shocking waste.

From what I've managed to piece together from my hazy memories, and top secret government files I've downloaded from the Internet, me and my "siblings" were genetically engineered as part of an evil, underhand, shadowy conspiracy to WIN YOUNG JAZZ MUSICIAN OF THE YEAR!!! I was given intensive training on the bass, working on my theoretical knowledge, timing, technique, sarcasm, and ability to come up with amusing alternative monikers for people.

I don't remember much about that time. When I woke up from the coma in hopsital, suddenly having to adapt to the outside world, I was a mere shadow of my former self. My chops were ravaged - gone are the days when I could improvise a solo over Giant steps with one finger. I still get flashbacks of sightreading whole Bach movements from time to time.

But I cannot deny my destiny. Though the Institute and it's evil schemes are long gone, I am still a bass player. I can use my powers for good.

I WILL COME AGAIN!!!

10. It's all down to the guy sitting next to me.

I almost took it up when I was at school (I'm now 33) - I actually had a Bass but literally a few weeks after getting one I broke the tendon on the ring finger of my left hand and couldn't really get on with playing left handed so I gave up.

I was well into music esp. Iron Maiden & Rush (Not really well know for their bass players <g>).

Eventually I kind of drifted into work and over the years lost a lot of interest in music.

About 18 months ago a guy startied working with me who is heavily into Rush, Yes etc.. and plays drums in a band, and he seriously rekindled my interest in music.

I mentioned I'd always wanted to play Bass and came to the conclusion (only a little help needed) that It's a short life and I should pursue things I'd always wanted to do so I brought a lefty bass - what a difference a decade or so makes no problems picking it up lefty style this time.

Major problem though - GAS, GAS, GAS. Got Bass and Amps all over the place.

So thanks John for kicking me in the right direction (Doubt he's listening) although I think my wife may have other things to say on the subject <g>

11. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I tried bass for the first time when I was 13 and I loved it...And I bought my first one when I was 14, September 14th 1997:)

12. The guy who was playing at my church at the time asked me if I was interested and I told him yes. Two days later I went out and bought a bass and another week after that I bought an amp. I brought it to him and said teach me. He showed ma where all the notes were.

Two weeks later he left the church and told me I was the new bass player. That was about 8 months ago. He has since returned to my church but now sits and listens to me play.

13. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    I used to play guitar, but the sound reminded me of nails on a chalkboard! I saw a band play at my school and I didn't even know what bass was. All I knew was that I wanted to play the boomy sounding,long necked,four string electric guitar!!:D

14. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    When I was really young...I played one of my brothers guitars and I goofed around with my friends and we all pretended like we were the Beatles (who were THE group at the time) and I chose to be Paul.

I tried like heck to learn how to play his parts, never knowing he was a bass player...just thought he played guitar.

As I got older I played guitar in a band and we couldn't find a bass player so I switched...and never looked back. I knew instantly that I just loved that low end sound way more than guitar. Always felt like the bass was just a part of me.

15. it all started may 1991, as a 9 year old i was asked if i would like to learn g'tar, yep i said, got home "mother , can i have a g'tar for my birthday(june 1st) yes she replied.

played that acoustic for two years, but younger bro was interested and took it away. therefore it was forgotten and the bro got good, fast forward about 5 years, 16, liked th manics, decided to play like nicky wire on my bro's g'tar, got a job at the supermarket, bought a US fender J, and a trace elliot amp

i was 17 then, now i'm 19 and i've just got myself a nice custom 5, can't be all bad i say( that supermarket job sure comes in handy)

16. When our old bassist quit. (I used to play guitar)

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

We've had a few threads on this, but what the heck...;)

Learned in my Dad's church after all of the musicians left.

Started on drums at 12, but began to gravitate to bass a few months later.

Made the switch for good at 13, and that was over 20 years ago.

18. my favorite bands at the time were 311 and sublime. how could i not want to play bass?

i bought one sound-unheard over ebay, and used my next door neighbor's vintage fender guitar amp (luckily i didn't blow it out or anything). got a bass combo the next christmas.

19. Man, I loved playing drums! I played bass drum in the marching band and had a nice kit down in our basement of my parents house for about a year that belonged to my brother's friend. I LOVED playing drums! I could keep a beat, but I would derail after a couple of fills :D

I started off learning guitar, too. Truthfully, it was when I heard "Another One Bites the Dust" that my interest in bass perked up...Geddy Lee and Chris Squire pushed me the rest of the way in.

But I would KILL to own a Roland V-Drums set (only about $4000!!!!!!).

20. Bassplaya#21

Bassplaya#21

Sep 16, 2000
    Zachary, LA
    My first time would have to be when i met my sisters boyfriend he played the guitar and the bass at his church and loves music.....anyway he was teaching me about guitars and stuff like that then on day he asked if i've ever tryed to play a bass....i gave him a questionable look becuase i didnt know what a bass guitar was....so the next time he came over with a beautiful jazz bass and let me play it for the first time and i feel in love with it...i got my first bass when i was 12 and have been playing for 3 years im in a band now and everyday i learn something new when im playing the bass