1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How did your life change after marriage?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blackbird, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Any advice for us single guys?

2. emils

emils

Jul 28, 2005
    Croatia
    Hmmmm, not much at all.

After we had the kids, well that's another story...

3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Not much. I'd say my life changed more before I got married because we bought a house and lived together (in sin, I know :p) for a few months before the wedding. That was obviously a big change. After we actually got married nothing changed.

4. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    The sex got better!!!!!!

5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    What sex?

:D

6. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    That's one I've never heard before, but I guess there's still some faint hope...

I'm watching this as marriage terrifies me.

7. RareBear

RareBear

Oct 30, 2006
    At 51, I missed the marriage boat. But judging by how my two married brothers live, I think I'm kinda like the guy who lost his ticket to the maiden voyage of the Titanic in the card game. Strange win.

8. Listen buddy, I was mad enough after that post in the love thread where you said your wife read it and you were going to get some, but now this!? You've just made the list.

:ninja:

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'm interested in this topic as well; 11 months of singleness lay ahead of me, followed by a lifetime of marriage-ness.

10. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    My life went to **** after marriage, both times. Sex was most definitely not better after for me. I think marriage is a fine institution...if you want to live in an institution! :eek:

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I started spending money on things like curling irons, tampons, make-up, and other items I would never use. That took some getting used to. :D

Other that that, my life has been great. It is nice to live with my best friend and share intimate moments together. Having the support of someone who devoted their life to me as I did them is a nice feeling as well.

I have learned to share on a level I never did before. I found out it really is better to give than receive, especially to your marriage mate. Having that close friend nearby to talk with is a good thing. Having my wife around to level me out is something I never expected. My wife has really made me into a more grounded person. I learned to experience life on a more emotional level, instead of everything being black and white.

I noticed the group of people I hung out with changed as well. Some of my single buddies didn't come around as much, but I ended up doing more with other married people.

Let me follow this all up with saying that I never lived with anyone before I got married. I went straight from living with my parents to being married. I did not try sex before marriage, or live with my girlfriend.

-Mike

12. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

So far, it hasn't changed it much at all. I guess we are getting paid more because we are living apart right now, so that's different.

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Ok, here's a really dumb (but relevant to all of us!) question since we're all talking about marriage:

Does your wedding band get in the way of your fretting hand while you're playing?

14. My partner wanted to know all about my sexual history.

I thought right back to when I was a teenager, and started listing off all the people who I had slept with in my life, all the way up to my partner.

...I guess I should have stopped there....

:)

15. justinb515

justinb515

May 23, 2006
    Metropolis,IL
    I'm soon to be in the same boat as you, and I'm excited that things have worked out so well for you. I live in my own apt at school, but my girlfriend and I have abstained from any sexual activity for about four years now and we are getting married in June. I'm so excited!!!

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Great news my friend. Marriage is a wonderful thing that yields fruits far beyond your labors.

Congrats on the abstinence.

-Mike

17. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    I was a virgin before I got married, so the first big change was sex.
    Man, it's good. Even better because I share it with my best friend and deepest love.

Another change was the semi loss of independence. I didn't really have to clear my actions or decisions with anyone. Now it's a partnership. I may not have to seek permission to do many thinks, but I do have to take my wife and her needs into account before I make many decisions.
    I was a pretty deep loner and needed hours of alone time to recuperate from life and I had to adjust that. I still get my alone time, but sometimes I have to schedule it.
    I gained so much with marriage. I have a confidant with whom I can share anything.
    My wife has a hold of my heart which was my most guarded possesion and I feel completely safe knowing it's in her care.
    The love she gives me is like food and drink and the trust she gives me is one of the best gifts I've ever received.
    I hardly feel like I am worthy of her and yet I am so glad that she joined with me in marriage.
    Marriage was a big adjustment because of living together, working out different schedules, getting to know eachother intimately, but it is so great.

18. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    We celebrate 20 years next June. It's been difficult at times, but we have stood by each other throughout. It's the commitment to make it work that goings a long way.

And the sex life is just as great as it was when we started dating in the 70's. ;)

It's great to share your life with someone. Make sure they are great conversationalists. It's key.

19. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Now I don't have to do my tax return, because my wife does it for the household. :hyper: And I got a nice ring and a Kay upright.

Other than that, life didn't change...we had already been living together for >10 years.

Marshall

20. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    congrats bro! I've got a month left before I tie the knot.