Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Different?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LilliCat, Dec 20, 2002.

1. LilliCat

LilliCat

Dec 20, 2002
    Minneapolis, MN
    A few years back I was taught how to play the bass guitar and I guess you can say I forgot, or I wouldn't be here...but anyway. My parents got me a bass guitar for the holidays, and now I'm really curious.. I believe my friends misled my parents when they said I wanted a bass of my own. I play the double bass, not the bass guitar. Here is my main point: How different is playing the bass guitar from playing upright double bass? Am I litterally 'up a tree' when it comes to picking up my bass guitar and playing? Thanks for the replies! :)

2. Fred W

Fred W

Feb 21, 2002
    Bronx, NY
    I play double bass, electric uprite, and bass guitar. When I say "I'm a musician" and someone asks "What do you play", I say BASS. The basic 4 strings of each are tuned to the same pitch.The function of each in 20th century music is the same.They sound similar, but not close enough to be interchangable. The bass guitar is the preferred choice for rock, funk, r&b, and most commercial popular music. If you like any of those, why not play BG? It may seem awkward at first, all the notes are there but in slightly different places( due to the shorter strings). The right hand touch is lighter, also. Hey, it's a simple instument-you play one note at atime, the right note, played well. Go for it, I say!