1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How Disparate is Your Musical Taste?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by NullPorch, Apr 9, 2020.

1. 1 specific genre ("I only like low-fi-industrial-noise-folk-punk")

0.6%
  2. 1 broad genre ("I like anything with a country twang")

0.8%
  3. 2 or 3 related sub-genres ("I like death metal, black metal, and thrash")

2.0%
  4. 2 or 3 related genres ("Rock, country, reggae - as long as it's got a backbeat and bass guitar")

9.6%
  5. All but one broad genre ("I like anything but country")

15.8%
  6. All but one specific dislike ("Just no screaming metal stuff")

15.8%
  7. A couple disparate genres ("I like hip-hop and baroque")

4.0%
  8. Specific but bizarrely disparate stuff ("I like trad-jazz, K-pop, and the Interstellar soundtrack")

13.6%
  9. I literally listen to anything. Birdsongs and a backfiring moped are my jam.

32.8%
  10. I don't listen to music.

5.1%
  1. How disparate are the musical tastes of the rest of TalkBass? I'm curious if it's at all related to being musically inclined or if its entirely individual personality.

As I've matured as a person and musician my personal musical taste has broadened from almost exclusively hard rock and metal to now include at least a little from every genre. There are still some genres I don't really enjoy in their pure form (country, hip-hop, pop) but really dig in some of their fusions or sub-genre variations. This leads to some hilarious musical disparities throughout a day of listening, and to an appreciation of some bizarre sub/fusion genres.

For example, earlier today I was listening to Igorrr (noise, industrial, metal)
    Now I'm listening to Billy Strings (bluegrass)
    The other day I chose Russkaja as my workout playlist
    And switched to Grandson to finish it
    I've also been thoroughly enjoying Lucky Chops
    Through all this I think the only constant is really high energy stuff.

But to chill I'll listen to anything from The Lonely Biscuits
    To Ben Caplan
    Or random Russian folk choirs

Or the Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio (which is also super fun to jam to)
    Although sometimes I still like my stoner rock for a chill vibe like with Whoopie Cat

Along with the poll and general question, I'd love to see what the craziest stylistic leaps there are in other peoples' listening.

2. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    These day's I write symphonic metal, make my living in country and classic rock a lot, wife plays in a wind symphony (so I love going to hear that), love a good marching band and bluegrass is amazing, and Barry Manilow's band kicks arse.

Just for starters.

Outbush, Helix, DJ Bebop and 9 others like this.
  3. WillyWonka

WillyWonka

Dec 10, 2019
    I listen to most everything prior to 1975, punk and K-POP

DJ Bebop and jamro217 like this.
  4. What you compose is another interesting question. Even more so than what you might play with bands since that's so influenced by common knowledge and interest - plus public interest if you gig. Why do you suppose that out of all your background and interest do you write symphonic metal? Similarly, I would rank singer-songwriter and folk type stuff (Ben Caplan, a lot of modern Bluegrass, Theo Katzman, etc...) as my absolute favorite music to listen to, but I don't see myself writing much of it. Instead, more metal or even noise stuff like Igorrr is more along the lines of what I think I'd personally write. I wish I had the mind for folksy sounds and lyrics, but I come up with experimental metal or noise stuff so much easier.

How did that come about? What happened to music in 1976? And how did K-pop win you over?

5. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I listen to tons of stuff, music is a very varied menu to me.

6. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

What an interesting post. Good job! I didn't vote because I wasn't sure what best describes musical taste. Have played many styles over the years including some downright loathsome stuff. In order to be a favorite there has to be some feature that is unique, enjoyable, entertaining or just fun. Sometimes it's the virtuosity that makes it special. Fusion and prog are good examples of that. Sometimes it's the rhythm that does it. Funky soul jazz from the '70's does that perfectly. Humor goes a long to making some usually unappreciated genre fun for a while but that doesn't include the whole stylistic output, only the novelty song. There are examples of brilliance to be found in almost any type of music. Giving credit where it is due regardless of the setting in which it is found seems to be more productive. Roy Clark was a fantastic guitarist who played mainly country music. I prefer jazz to country by a wide margin and would have loved to hear what Mr. Clark might have done in that category. There is no denying his talent and some of his work was mind boggling. Still not a country fan, but he's one of the exceptions. By opening our eyes, ears and minds to discover what musical excellence exists, we must disregard the prefabricated labelling system that pigeonholes artists and their music and seek it out wherever it may be found. Believe it or not there are some people who find Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band's 'Trout mask Replica' listenable.

7. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    This selection of "artists beginning with 'S'" covers these genre...

Acid Jazz, Classical, Disco, EDM, Electro-Pop, Folk, Glam-Rock, Gregorian Chant, Jazz/Fusion, New Age, Pop, Prog, Ragtime, Rock...

upload_2020-4-9_9-21-4.png

8. dramatwist

dramatwist Suspended

Sep 27, 2019
    ...deep and wide...

bassliner50 and SteveCS like this.
  9. JamMasterJR

JamMasterJR

Dec 18, 2009
    Salinas, CA
    I will listen to most anything -- even the Shaggs -- but with only few exceptions I can't stand Rap.

10. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    The only genre I can't get into is Dubstep maybe. But that's a fad that's long gone anyway. Taking a look at my Spotify faves it's not uncommon to find Bongripper and Parliament right next to Erik Satie and Aphex Twin, or Miles Davis and Seether next to the Nier Automata OST and D'Angelo.

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I voted "All but one" because it was the closest to the truth. But I'll check out anything but hardcore metal (any sub genre) and rap. I respect both. Just not my thing.

12. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    Metal (the real thing versus, say more rock or pop oriented metal of the '80s-'90s) was never a real interest of mine. Just never got into it. But about 5 years ago I was working with a singer on her originals. It was all good, just not what I knew of her personality or audience. Like trying too hard to create something people would like rather than what she wanted. We were both in our late 40s by this point, no hope of a "rock star" career, so I asked, "If you could write anything you wanted, your heart's desire, what would it be? Because this just isn't working."

She told me "Nightwish." Gave me several discs to borrow and see what we could come up with along those lines. Initially, while nice, I just didn't latch onto it. But after about six months of dissecting the music and getting to learn about the band (and others in the genre) through interviews and articles, I got hooked. And what really did it for me was probably the least "metal" aspects of the band. Things that led more directly back to my own upbringing as a kid and on into life, my love of symphony, and of sound tracks for movies. Those things of a more complex production nature. And, to me, this is exactly what Thuomas Holopainen was doing. Creating mini sound tracks, not necessarily metal tunes. It grew on me more and more.

The end of the story was that singer sacked me from her cover gig I was doing for her. I'm sure she thinks that was the end of what we were doing together, because why in the world would I continue without my collaborator? Nope...still at it, improving it, learning more and more. And learning has been the biggest satisfaction, for me. Learning to play a genre I didn't grow up with, learning to think better as a guitarist, learning to work with symphonic sampling and think more like a composer of symphonic music...THAT is what has given me new life in music. THAT is what has made it so much fun all over again at this point in life.

Sorry to be long winded.

13. I voted "all but one broad genre" because it's close enough.

There's a bunch of varied stuff that I like, and a smaller bunch of varied stuff I dislike. I'm discovering new stuff all the time, and "stuff I like" is growing faster than "stuff I dislike."

To get any more detailed than that would mean getting very long-winded, so I'll spare you that.

14. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    These days, I mostly I listen to instrumental music that helps me concentrate while working.

This habit started 5-6 years ago when I started working in “open office” environments. Needed a way to block out all the office noise, yet most music styles were just as distracting.

After much experimentation, what ends up working best for me tends to be low key video game background music, a genre called Epic Chillstep, and some forms of EDM. Also anything Hobbits would listen to at the Inn.

Here are a few current favorites:

On the “active listening” (non work related) list, a few artists I’ve found randomly on youtube. Lately I’m digging

Aurora:

Khruangbin:

15. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    :thumbsup:

16. Very similar story here: an introvert who's unable to tune out voices. You start talking to/at me, and it drives out everything I was concentrating on.
    Combine that with an employer who has the open-plan-office religion (they're fantastic other than that) and I've been living under noise-cancelling headphones for the last few years.

The voice issue means that anything with vocals is out. Hence me discovering surf* and synthwave, among other genres. Oh, and Colin Benders' fantastic work with modular synths.

Now I'm working from home full-time with a very nice set of nearfield monitors, so I can fearlessly explore music with dynamic range.

*Also from musing on how similar surf rock is to metal, thinking it'd be hilarious if a surf band covered The Trooper, and realising that if I've thought about it, somebody's probably already done it. They have.

ThinCrappyTone and Bruiser Stone like this.
  17. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I'd like to think I'm pretty open to most music.
    There's a couple of genres I just don't get...that cookie-monster metal singing style, gangsta rap (not so much the music, but the lyrical content), prog-rock (if that's what you'd call Zappa/Rush/Yes/ELP), a lot of jazz, yet even within those there's probably exceptions.

Heck, I've even heard some banjo music I like!

Bruiser Stone likes this.
  18. Lagado

Lagado

Jan 6, 2020
    Stop the madness
    I'll give most things a listen, and see what I think from there. I have a windchime that is tuned diatonically to the major scale, two octaves. Some of the little motifs and melodies now again are great. But you can't remember them, they're there and then they're gone.

19. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I listen to everything, not matter the genre, the language nor if is old or new.

Couple of screens from my spotify's list made up of +1000 songs from Tex-Mex to Hardcore.
    3977B95D-CA25-44EF-A8C1-82C33333D9FD.png 095136DF-5397-4E9E-9144-A996DF188A2A.png

XtraFancy likes this.
  20. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    I suppose my two extremes are Electric Wizard and Don Williams, though I favor the latter in times such as these. There’s only so much doom I can stand in a pandemic.

Nice thread btw.