How diverse is your life?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Feb 26, 2004.

1. I enjoy being tied down.

2 vote(s)
  2. I can be tied down.

12 vote(s)
  3. You can't tie me down.

11 vote(s)
  4. You can't even find me, forget about tying me down.

9 vote(s)
  1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I was driving to a rehearsal in Manhattan yesterday to meet an accordianist who'll be playing with the singer I started working with a few months ago. I was going to some other person's apartment who'd i'd only met once before, and while driving my thoughts went to another friend of mine. I realized that this simple rehearsal I was going to would be a HUGE ontaking for him. Not knowing the people, the neighborhood, having to travel about an hour away from home, etc. No big deal to me, not a big deal to most (I imagine).

I started to think of others I know like him. I think way too much in the car cuz my stereo sucks. I know lots of people who go to work, go home, maybe go to the gym, go to 3 or 4 of their favorite restaurants, hit a wedding or party a couple of times a year, and seem content.

I on the other hand play in an average of 4 different bands a year, go to 100 different restaurants and try to expand on that, drive all over for gigs, constantly meet new people, try new things all the time.... i feel i'm out there in the world. active. experiencing new things. i like it like that and i'm grateful that my life allows me the freedom to do all i want.

there are those too that do lots more than me, as travel the world, live in different countries, etc. i feel i'm kind of middle of the road with the desire to do more. curious where others stand. how diverse is your life?
  2. Well, my life used to be a LOT more diverse before I moved to Alaska. I used to try new stuff all the time, meet new people...I guess you could say your normal "Social-lite." Now, living in Kodiak, I have become much more of an introvert. After work, I normally go home, and either play video games, watch TV or movies, just BS with my roommate, or have band practice/gigs (which recently got severly cut down)'s a pretty sad existence in my opinion. But I guess, what else can you do when you're on an island with less than 50 miles of paved road?
  3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I haven't been outside of this room since 1989.
  4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Ahh the joys of living in NYC,

I've a habit of living in areas that are pretty self-contatined. As a result, I was very complacent as a kid and teen. I'm still big on routines (eat my food a certain way, take a shower a certain way, shop at CD stores a certain way [go through each letter alphabetically, then go backwards, take notes, pick out a release, then shuffle back through the alphabet to see if I missed any must-haves]). But over the past few years, I've learned to be more adventurous. I've been going to more shows, seeing more movies, buying more comics etc. I enjoy walking out into new towns and exploring (particularly for music stores....). Still, I'm just as capable of being tied down as to fly off and do something crazy, and I value that, it's like coming home after a long day and I can see how someone would feel comfortable in that sort of lifestyle. But I do get bored.

I'm a pretty shy person, and I used to be a crappy conversationalist. I do like meeting new people though, I'm still shy, but I'm better at talking with new people, not a lot better, but better. I'm not the most social person, I enjoy staying in and going to bed early sometimes.

So....after all that, I suppose my answer is I take everything in moderation.
  5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Um, I just noticed the poll, and I was thinking, did you post the right poll for the question you're asking? Because, I answered with the first response, yet my life is diverse.
  6. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I don't need to get out and have new experiences frequently, but I do like to get out and live life and I'm not afraid to do it. My wife on the other hand, needs it. She will get very anxious if she hasn't been to a new place, tried a new thing, or met a new person in the last week. I also have friends like yours that would be way out of their comfort zone with going new places, meeting new people and then playing music with them. I enjoy that. My best friend can't believe that I would do such a thing. I guess I'm more "middle of the road".
  7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Indeed. I read the thread title, then the first poll option and I thought we were discussing other things entirely.
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    We only go to a few restaraunts that we all really like. Too many bad experiences trying things out in the past caused us to just stick with the ones we know are good.

I just started a new band playing a completely different style of music than I am used to. This new band will expose me to a whole new group of people, and potential friends.

We are picking as a vacation spot this year somewhere no one in my family has been. We thought of blindfolding our son, and have him do a pin the tail on the donkey game on a map, and wherever he puts the pin is where we go. Instead we chose a fun sounding place, San Antonio.

I am preparing to enter college to start a new career totally different from what I have been doing the past 15+ years.

Aside from the food thing, I consider myself to be somewhat diverse.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have lived in this plastic bubble all of my life, so :spit:
  10. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm very much in the middle of the road, I think. I love doing new things and going to new places (although getting to know new people really isn't my forte, I'm growing to accept that I'll have to eventually); but at the same time I still get edgy and nervous doing those things because I was such an introvert up until very recently. I think that the more you do it, the easier it gets to be.

Once every couple of months, I try to get out of town and go somewhere, anywhere, that I'm not really used to. I know people in cities all around the Southeast that'll let me crash at their place for a weekend or so, and I take advantage of that as often as I'm comfortable with so I can get out and explore a new place. On the other hand, I'm fine staying in my room doing my design work and (badly) playing my bass for hours and days on end with no other real human contact.
  11. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    :oops: :eek: :) You... you w-wwa-want me to Out!!!???!!!!
  12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products

agreed. i thought so myself - i had a rough time coming up with options though. i think i chose those thinking of my friend again, as he seems totally tied down by responsibilities he doesn't want, and i on the other hand do my best to not let anything tie me down. they're somewhat related but yes, i couldda put better choices. i dont' mind if one of you mods wants to add your creativity and change the choices. have sort of a collaborative thread. :)
  13. odie

odie Supporting Member

:D Jazzbo- I started a prayer group for you. Maybe I will get a small donation pool started to help pay for your medical bills.....

What a goof!! :cool:
  14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

"TV shows what it's like out there...IT'S A SCARE!"

But I venture out anyway. I have to meet people all the time for my job. And I gig with the band too. All this while being married(12 years) and 2 terrific kids, 6 & 9. My wife also has her friends and hobbies too.
  15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I try to not be tied down, but I think I get too caught into habits and patterns.

but, usually, even if I'm used to doing one thing or another, I don't have too much of a problem changing, I just don't always prefer to.
  16. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    One person's idea of a diverse life is another person's idea of humdrum. That may be part of the problem with Joe's poll choices. My sister-in-law is spending her twenties travelling abroad. She makes friends easily (sharing travel and living expesnses with fellow student/travellers) and has many friends in Europe and South America. In contrast, I don't get to travel much, have a job that affords me little vacation time, and am not a terribly social person. So does my life suck, then? Nah -- I would say that my life is every bit as free, fufilling and diverse as hers - just very different in terms of priorities.

17. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I swear Joe, it's like you wrote this about me.

I'm driving 45 minutes tonight to watch some mates do a Stevie Wonder tribute gig, and I'm copping flack from a bunch of people who don't go anywhere unless it's literally around the corner. I don't get it, but they don't get me so it's all good. Each to their own I say.

I would probably be even more "out there" if I wasn't restricted my cashflow.
  18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I love to try new things, meet new people, and am not tied down to family at all.

I would say Im pretty diverse.

Im willing to jam with any musicians at least once, and I always try to order something Ive never heard of when I go to a new restaurant.

On top of that, one of my biggest fears is that Id get into a habit.

19. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    This morning I drove 80 miles from my house to my office. In about 15 minutes I will leave to drive about 100 miles to a gig in Houston. I'll probably get a hotel room and drive back to work in the morning - another 100 miles. After work I'll drive the 80 miles back home, stop by the house to kiss the wife, and then try to make soundcheck for Friday night's gig, which is 'in town.' Saturday brings me about 120 miles North for a gig in Nacogdoches. After I get home Sunday morning, I will likely refuse to get in a car for the rest of the day. Monday morning and it's back to work, 80 miles away...

Does that qualify me as active, or just insane?!?

:D :help:
  20. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Not at all. Your insanity is in no way related to the amount of driving you do :)

Seriously though, you're not alone, I drive 45km one way to work (not quite 80 miles but still quite far) . I think nothing of it but everyone thinks I'm nuts. But it's a good job with good people, and because I'm going against the traffic flow, it takes the same amount of time to get there as it takes them to do their 15km commutes. And it gives me an excuse to take the motorbike for a blat.........